Newbie here...wondering about long distance travel post-op...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just ASK

I have perused this excellent forum for the past 3 weeks, ever since having an echo done showing that my 45 year old heart has a lovely stenotic, calcified aortic valve as the source of my recent SOB and lightheadedness after very minimal exertion. I am currently awaiting word about the initial review of my TEE and cath results from Dr. Gosta Petterssons team at the Cleveland Clinic. Luckily, it seems that my only problem is the AV itself, so no CABG or aortic aneurysms to deal with. I am assuming that they give me the big thumbs up (strangely, I want to hear them tell me "Yes, you need surgery" :D ... I find this oddly amusing) and I head to Cleveland from my home in Pensacola, FL.

My question is between the choice of flying back (approx 6-8 hrs) or driving back (20 hours), which would you choose? The drive could be split into multiple days and be accomplished in 2 "phases" as my folks live in NC at a point about 1/2 way between Cleveland and Pensacola. It would probably mean 2 days to cover the first 10 hours and then a few days to regroup before making the last leg over 2 more days. In other words, lots of driving/stopping/driving. I have read that most folks "felt every bump" when driving, so the shorter duration of flight seems appealing.

So, 1) in how many days post surgery will I be ready to travel, assuming there are no complications? and 2) should I fly and get it over with or 'take the long way home' and do the multi day drive?

Any insight is welcome!:thumbup:

Mr ASK , a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family

I can only tell you that one member's elderly mother has recently been flown back to the clinic (Clevland Clinic) from Washington for care after some upsetting care in Washington ...here are some links for you to peruse http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?36847-Surgery-Date and here http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37141-Update-on-bbbdirector other members have tackled long drives you will have to take care either way as you want to be walking periodically EG toilet breaks and no matter what you should wear compression stockings to ward off clotseither way Godspeed my friend

Last edited:
Me, I'd fly, FWIW. Partly to get it over with, and partly to travel quickly from one of my medical teams to my other one, without risking the possibility of needing some cardiac (or medical or pharmaceutical) care in-between. Just my $0.02. . .

I'm sure we hit a few bumps on my drive home from the hospital on "day 6", but they didn't bother me. I think I had my heart pillow between my chest and my shoulder belt, as I did for ~5-6 weeks thereafter when I rode or drove a car.

I would vote for flying. I flew from the Mayo clinic in Minn. to North Carolina at about 10 days post op with no problems at all. The only thing the staff at the hospital suggested I do was use a wheelchair throughout the airport, which I did, and everything was completely fine. I can't imagine driving 20 hours at that point. I think I would have been miserable, even breaking it up over 2 days. I'd also be surprised if you couldn't find a flight that isn't shorter than 8 hours.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do, you'll be fine.

Kim

OK, so the vote is 2 for flying, nil for driving. Keep 'em coming! I know there are a bunch of folks here that had their procedures performed at a facility far removed from their home :smile2:

I was fortunate to only have a fifteen minute trip from the hospital to the house ... If I had a long trip I would definitely fly ... good luck and welcome!

I would vote for flying also. I only had a 30 minute trip in the car and it was uncomfortable. I could not even imagine driving for that length of time. Tell them at the airport that you require a wheel-chair and transport from gate to gate if need be. Hope all goes well for you.

I had my aortic valve replaced at the Cleveland Clinic last May and I live in South Carolina. I flew!! I can't imagine such a long drive a week after surgery. Flying was easy and yes, use a wheelchair in the airport. Nice thing about the Cleveland Clinic is they provide limo service to and from the airport. It's all very easy.

Having had two OHS, I am sure I would not want a 20 hour drive no matter how it gets broken up. I would definitely fly assuming my doctors approved that plan.

Welcome to VR.org. Happy you found us but sorry for the reason.

JA, I'm another who only lives 20 minutes from my hospital and I was ready to ly down after the flail of checking out and driving home. This to me requires no thinking. Fly! You cannot know ahead of time how you will feel. Even if you feel pretty good, such a long drive would likely be miserable after awhile and there you are on the highway far from home. You will have very little stamina as it is without stressing yourself more than necessary. Don't take the chance. The shortest trip sounds the best to me.

Larry

Just to keep a balanced look at it (I would still fly) member BarbJean http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/member.php?7362-BarbJean whose son,Collin was also a Cleveland graduate and drove the two day plus journey to upper NewYork State, after a few days post his operation.............complications as I see them would be blood pooling in extremeties if not kept moving and be sure to sit in the rear away from air bags you may want to PM or email her and that is why I put up a link to her profile

Greg

Last edited:
No question about it, I'd fly. Also arrange for wheelchair assist at the airport.

I'll echo what Greg said about sitting in the rear. You do NOT want to have an airbag go off while you are recuperating. Airbags do save lives, but the impact caused when they inflate can damage the heart (tear the aorta, fracture the sternum, etc.). My husband is living proof, thank heavens I can say living. An airbag bought him an invitation to the Zipper Club (see my signature line below).
If an airbag is going to do a number on you, let it happen after your heart has healed.

Semicoincidentally, we just drove from Pensacola to NJ, stopping in central NC to visit my mom. We took it in three relaxed days, which is slower than our norm. We started the second day about 90 miles south-south-west of Atlanta and had to scrape 1-1/2" of snow off the car. At least we had a scraper - other hotel guests were using clothes hangers. I would like to point out that in driving it, I also discovered that there is way too much Alabama perched over the Florida panhandle.

You need to decide how comfortable you are on the road. There are lots of good hotel rooms between Cleveland and Pensacola in the $70-$80 range with coupons from the road or via Hotels.com. If you are relaxed when travelling, it could be fun for you. The only advantage to plane travel (in my book) is that it's faster, if the distance is over 300 miles or so. I find flying and airports stressful.

One thing: we took a road trip before my first OHS, and went through the mountains. I did find that one day I was having some severe SOB issues when we were out of the car and walking around higher up in the mountains. I really felt the altitude was a major factor in that, as it was the only time it happened. So, you might want to consider having your evening stops to be at moderate altitudes.

How you feel when you leave the hospital may well decide the issue for you.

Whichever way you go, I hope you enjoy the trip.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
OK, it seems that a direct flight from Cleveland to Pensacola is 4.5 hours vs at least 20 hours driving. Judging from the responses here - and I truly appreciate the responses - it seems that flying is the easy decision. It fits my persona, as I have always been the guy who prefers ripping the Band-Aid off quickly rather than slowly...you know, higher intensity but shorter duration.
How many days post-op did you feel OK to travel - by any method?

Last edited:
Be sure go get up and walk around every hour or so to prevent blood clots in your legs.

Hopefully someone will be flying with you. A first class seat would probably be worth the extra price.

Since I've never gotten out of the hospital in less than a week, I'd vote for at least a week after surgery! And if you can upgrade to first class, so much the better!

I stayed in a hotel for one night and flew out on the first flight the next morning. Trust me, if my husband could have gotten us on a flight the minute I got out of the hospital, he would have. He couldn't get out of Minn. fast enough! I on the other had would probably have preferred to have spent at least a couple of nights in a hotel near the hospital just getting my bearings before flying home. He was sweet enough to buy me a first class ticket for the flight home though, so I can't complain about him too much!

Kim

Just Ask,
Dr Pettersson was my surgeon and I flew, but I had someone with me to help and I needed it. I think driving would be a mistake, actually there is no way that you should be driving at that point. So did you mean that you would be riding in the back seat while someone else is driving? You will be required to ride in the back seat of a car to avoid potential air-bag injury.

I stayed a few days in Cleveland after discharge from the hospital before flying out. I had to stay in the hospital a few extra days and got use to the extra care, so it helped me emotionally to hang out a few days before returning home. It helps having someone to do all the little stuff while traveling so I suggest that you have someone travel with you when you fly. You will not feel like standing in a long line waiting for tickets or going through security. Use a limousine (basically a nice cab) to get from your motel to the airport. Cost will be maybe $35. If you rent a car to get around Cleveland then rent one with a comfortable and roomy back seat. Arrange for a reasonable departure date based on the recommendations of the surgeon's office, you can always call the airline and leave at a different date usually at no extra cost based on medical reasons. Call the airline and arrange for wheelchair transport within the Cleveland airport, otherwise you will be exhausted by the walk to the concourse. On the plane get up and walk around or stand and stretch to avoid clots. Drink plenty of fluids. You will be happy to be home.
John

Latest posts

Back