Newbie and nervous

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcc617

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hey all. So my 'floppy valve' as my prior doctor pegged it is a seriously calcified aortic valve. At the moment I remain totally asymptomatic except for horrible percentages of blood flow. Treatment to date has been quarterly stress tests and/or echos. My last stress test was stopped early because I 'aced' it according to my cardiologist. However, the echo is another story. I have a one month followup Thurs and was told if the percentage isn't better, it's the zipper club for me. (actually I'll be referred to the surgeon for evaluation.

I have to admit, I'm scared to death! This board may become my second home.

My health plan is INCREDIBLE! The hospital and surgeon are the best in the SF Bay Area and I LOVE my cardiologist. All of this put together still equals nerves, nerves and more nerves.

ARGH!
Dave

Hi, Dave -- I'm about a week behind you....learned last week that surgery, which was a previously abstract concept, is probably closer than I'd like. I have a TEE scheduled for the 30th, then it's off to the cardiac surgeon for a consult. I've been reading this board for a solid week and, as I said in my intro post, I feel like an oversaturated sponge. But man, have I ever learned a lot. This is a great place to be, with people who really understand the fear we're feeling. You are absolutely in the right place. I'll be right there with you, albeit on the other side of the country.
ARGH indeed!
Selma

Hi Dave,
I had mine done back in April. It was an emergency so no 'wait and stew for me' Thank goodness. The waiting and stewing is the worst part, after it's over you'll be saying, 'that wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. Even though I had endocarditis, I was amazed at how well it went. I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but I'm sure it's not as bad as you imagine. It's truely amazing what they can do these days, darn near routine. The better you feel going in the better you'll recover coming out, that goes for your mental state as well. Read all the before and after posts on here you can.
All the best

Hi Dave, and Selma, I'm glad you found us, it is a great place. If you have any questions just ask, usually somone has experience with whatever you are asking about.

Hi Dave,

Welcome. You'll find this forum a great place for information and support. I am just past four weeks from my AVR and it still seems hard to believe that is is done. Just last night I retunred to a local eatery that knows me for the first time since my surgery and they did not believe that I had the surgery done -- I had to show them the incision I look so good! The worst part, as other will tell you, was the waiting -- too much time to dwell on all the 'bad' things that can happen. Luckily, these types of operations have become very common and have a great sucess rate. You are also in a good area for hospitals and talented surgeons (I grew up in the bay area), so that's a plus for you as well. It sounds like you're already doing the right things in seeing and listening to your doctors, keep that up along with some knowledge and suppport you can gain from this site and you'll be through it before you know it just fine.

Best of luck!

Dan

Hi Piglet,

What type AVR u did ? Mechanical or Tissue ? Mine is scheduled in Dec . Can't beleive this is happening to me. How long it took u to recover.

Regards,

Hochi

Hi, Dave, and welcome to The Waiting Room, the virtual room where many of us await their own turns at valve surgery. You didn't give us any indication of your age, but you will find many aortic valve patients here (including myself). Many of us were quite active prior to surgery and thought ourselves to be asymptomatic. It was only after surgery that we began to realize just how much the body compensates for its shortcomings. This usually happens gradually over a long period of time, so we don't notice it. I was waiting for over 9 years, and it wasn't until the last6 months or a year that I really had any symptoms - and even then they were mild. My cardio said that my lifestyle and my echo reports just didn't correlate normally. . . given my echo's he would have expected me to be severely slowing down.

I, too, have one of those great health plans, so all I had to worry about was getting through it and getting better. I found that the closer I came to my surgery date, the more calm I became. All of the decisions had been made and all I had to do was follow instructions. Sort of like being in the military.

Oh, and you may or may not have the "zipper" scar. Many of us have our incisions closed with more "cosmetically pleasing" methods. My surgeon used some sort of surgical super-glue, so all I have is a line of scar about 4 or 5 inches long (and a bump for the pacemaker, but most patients don't need those).

All in all, once I got past the first couple of weeks of recovery, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had expected.

Oh sorry everyone. I'm 56. I laugh when I go to my cardiologist. She comes in, smiles, gives me a hug and then her eyes immediately drop to my ankles. The other joke we have (she rolls her eyes) is the area where the stress tests are done is THE farthest place you could get from the ER. Plus she starts every test with 'Well, you know I'm trying to cause an event'. Nice. So comforting. HA!

So the echo is tomorrow afternoon with the visit right after. I'll circle back with the results. Truth be told, I wish this would happen. I feel like a sword is always hanging over my head.

Good luck tomorrow. it sounds like you are really comforatble with your cardiologist, i believe that helps alot. I was hoping you had good insurance after i saw your profile ;) I hope you hear its time for surgery IF that is what you think you'd prefer.I know how tough it can be knowing it is probably soon, but not sure how soon it is and just having it hanging there, when you are trying to make plans etc. It can e a relief just to have it over with.

I know just how you feel. After the TEE I'm hoping they just tell me I can go ahead with the surgery any time. If possible, I'd like to schedule it for this summer. After the various echos, is the cardiac cath the next step?

Selma - I had my cath a year ago. Same thing - extremely nervous about the whole thing and it was a piece o' cake. One funny side note. I was prepped and shaved. When I woke up, they had gone in through my wrist instead groin since is wasn't interventional. However, they still shaved me. (I called it the Brazilian) I STILL think someone had a sick sense of humor and did it anyway. How irritating. (literally)

Hi Dave, recent aortic valve and by pass member here, great place with many fine people to bounce experiences off.
I have just completed my first week at home and cannot believe the improvements in the way I feel.
Personally I'm glad my procedure and recovery is taking place during our more crappy climate weather patterns.

Brad

Hilarious! Years ago, I had abdominal surgery and the night before, this ancient nurse came walking into my room, brandishing a razor. "When I'm done with you," she said, "You're gonna look just like Kojak." And she didn't mean my head.

Selma - I had my cath a year ago. Same thing - extremely nervous about the whole thing and it was a piece o' cake. One funny side note. I was prepped and shaved. When I woke up, they had gone in through my wrist instead groin since is wasn't interventional. However, they still shaved me. (I called it the Brazilian) I STILL think someone had a sick sense of humor and did it anyway. How irritating. (literally)

Hi, Dave, I and the others have a good sense of what you are experiencing. Like Steve, I knew I had a stenotic valve about 10 years before my cardio told me he had made an appointment for me to speak with a surgeon. Suddenly that abstract possibility of surgery in the far distant future starts becoming very real. I can say that recovery from surgery at age 59 was different than I ever imagined it to be. None of the bad things happened while some things happened I never anticipated. Particularly, I never anticipated waking up and feeling better immediately. That first morning in my room when I woke up clear headed I was surprised that I wasn't in a lot of discomfort and I absolutely felt better than I had in a long time; from there, things got better. When the thought of surgery bothers you, try to keep in mind that is the diseased valve that is the problem. Surgery is your door to the future.

Let us know how we can help.

Larry
Tulsa, OK

Hi Piglet,

What type AVR u did ? Mechanical or Tissue ? Mine is scheduled in Dec . Can't beleive this is happening to me. How long it took u to recover.

Regards,

Hochi

I chose a tissue valve, I didn't want to be on blood thinners (I take enough meds for rheumatoid arthritis).
Your recovery will depend on a lot of variables, as did mine so your second question is hard to answer.
I was surprised to be in the position of needing OHS as well, I just try to look at it as one of lifes little challenges that will improve my character lol.

Don't be scared. The more you learn about this operation the more it becomes clear that this is a remarkably successful procedure with an extremely low risk of serious complications. I spent the few months prior to the operation trying to understand which valve would be the best for me, reading all the literature I could find. So, that issue occupied my mind and I spent little time worrying. I will tell you it was a largely futile exercise, but it did distract me from any negative thoughts. Also, I had the most qualified surgeon I can imagine and he instilled confidence that I would be OK. Expect a good outcome.

Dave - You're on about the same schedule I followed last year. Met a couple of surgeons in December and had the valve replaced in late February. They could have done it sooner, but I needed the time to get things settled at work.

As for any fears of the operation, think of it this way. . . I hit most of the speed bumps in surgery and recovery, and I'm still here having a great old time anyway. The surgery is one of those things that ". . . If you need it, you need it." The only question is "when" and you don't want to wait too long, lest permanent damage be done.

Latest posts

Back