Newbe needs help

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,

Been on Coumadin for 18 years. Have known about the home testing meters but found out recently that Medicare will pay for them. But can't get anyone at Medicare to say that. The ones I've talked to didn't know what I was talking about. They said summit a claim for information.

I've asked my Cardiologist about home testing but he didn't seem to know much about it. He did say he had never seen a prescription for one. I've only found one site that I can print out a prescription to take to him.

I've been to CoaguChek XS System site.
Also another site that is off line today... INRatio2.

My question... which is the best meter?
Do I first have to pay for the meter and then Medicare will reimburse?

Thanks

Hi old friend. Either unit is good. I have the INRatio myself. Absolutely love it.

There are a couple places to get these from, I'll give you the link to our site sponser, QAS, but there are others, Raytel or Phillips as they call themselves now and give it some time, there is another but I forget what it is. I'll be back with the links.

http://www.ptinr.com/data/pages/home-inr-testing.aspx?&u=patient&ur=true

http://www.ptinr.com/data/pages/improve.aspx?c=Home_INR_Section

http://www.qualityassuredservices.com/docs/forms/hemosense_rxlmn_inratio2_pst_1008.pdf

http://www.qualityassuredservices.com/docs/forms/hemosense_pst_info.pdf

Raytel/Philips

http://refs05.securesites.net/snap045/

Hi Ross,

I guessing you're the one I chatted with last July on the gas forum. I came here from that old post. Takes me a while but been busy for the last few months.

Thanks for the links, I'll start doing some looking.

PS... Had a little problem registering for it wouldn't let me use gmail. Finally had to break down and use my POP mail ad. LOL

the other one is roche - google roche diagnostics, it is called coaguchek XS, I have it and it works just fine for me

I'm in Canada, can't help you with Medicare, sorry

Oh, and welcome to the zoo!

You're looking particularly well for 18 yrs with your St.Judes ! I'm delighted after having had only 6 weeks (today!) of my new valve and feeling rough as rats ! There is light at the end of the tunnel then !?
As for the self testing I cant help but there'll be loads who can.
Good luck.

Justin

Thanks all.

Woodbutcher, thanks. Sounds and looks like you're doing pretty well for 6 weeks. I spent 21 days in the hospital from complications. It was 3 months before I could drive, 6 months to feel normal, 12 months to get back where I was before surgery. Of course I had a new valve that wasn't restricted. Never a problem since, excellent health today.

Home testing is great

Home testing is great

Olefin:

My husband began home testing in 2001 with a ProTime Monitor. It was so much better than the trips to the lab. Then in September, 2007, we purchased the INRatio monitor.

In 2006, I developed A-fib, so now we both test. Takes about 20 minutes for both of us to test. The best benefit is the increased safety.

We chose to pay for the both monitors ourselves. But, I do know that there is Medicare Coverage. I don't know how that works but there are more than several folks who use Medicare and home testing who will probably respond later.

In the meantime, perhaps this will help.

https://www.cms.hhs.gov/mcd/viewdecisionmemo.asp?from2=viewdecisionmemo.asp&id=72&

Kind regards,
Blanche

You guys watch this guy. He's been in this game along time, so I'm sure he has some education for us all, if not, we have some for him huh? :D

Sorry about the registration problems, but we've found it necessary to stop free web based emails for registration. Too many problems with spammers and trouble makers in the past. ;)

Blanche, thanks for the help and the link.

Normally I haven't had too many problems but last month a week before we were leaving on a 10 day cruise my INR jumped up to 7.5. Of course I stopped the Coumadin for a few days before going back a reduced rate. And even at a reduced rate the next check was still high. Now I feel it's going to be too low and that's what bothers me.

Also after valve surgery we traveled for several years in our motorhome. My Cardiologist gave me a prescription so I could go to any hospital in the USA to check INR. The prescription call for them to give the results to me. I would call him the results only if the INR got out of control range. Worked OK but wow, a monitor sure would have been handy.

Wife has been wanting me to get a monitor ever since I had surgery. Again, I should have been listening. :D

Ross was the first person I had talked with that had the same feelings as for as doctors and INR control. I reviewed those old post yesterday before coming to this forum. ;)

I can understand about having to use POP mail instead of the free mail. I normally never like using my real mail on the internet but from what I see there will be no problem with this forum.

Someone can correct me, but I think the draw back of having medicare pay for it is that it's done so you have to call in your results each week and get your dosage adjustment. I know that after 17 years on Coumadin for me, that would drive me nuts. I only call if there's a big question I don't think I can handle myself. I haven't called my cardio for dose advice in 4 years.

A while back someone posted a site where there were inexpensive test strips and I took a look at the machine costs and they were less than $1000. Anyone know where that was?

I can understand about having to use POP mail instead of the free mail. I normally never like using my real mail on the internet but from what I see there will be no problem with this forum.

You should never have a problem. If you ever do, let us know immediately. We've got email addresses as protected as possible and the only way for someone to get yours is to send them a message from here as email, then it shows up to them so they can reply back. Normal as normal is. Web bots aren't even allowed into that section of the forum.

Someone can correct me, but I think the draw back of having medicare pay for it is that it's done so you have to call in your results each week and get your dosage adjustment. I know that after 17 years on Coumadin for me, that would drive me nuts. I only call if there's a big question I don't think I can handle myself. I haven't called my cardio for dose advice in 4 years.

A while back someone posted a site where there were inexpensive test strips and I took a look at the machine costs and they were less than $1000. Anyone know where that was?

I scoped that out Karlynn and it's not true. CMMS says they will pay for no more then once per week testing. They did not say you had to test weekly. ;)

As for your question on the second part, I'm trying to find it too.

Maybe it was Kaiser I'm thinking of. I know that some people have gone the route where they get the machine - but they have to call it in or they get hunted down.

Maybe it was Kaiser I'm thinking of. I know that some people have gone the route where they get the machine - but they have to call it in or they get hunted down.

Sometime when I have the time, I'll hunt the specific law up and post it. It was very clear in it's meaning and pertained only in what they would pay, not that someone had to test that frequently. Some places like to bully people. If I were involved in an operation like that, I'd find another company to deal with. I know some people don't have choices though. I'm hoping that is going to change.

Heck it was easy to find, I kept the link:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/mcd/viewdecisionmemo.asp?from2=viewdecisionmemo.asp&id=209&

190.11 - Home Prothrombin Time/International Normalized Ratio (PT/INR) Monitoring for Anticoagulation Management – Effective March 19, 2008

(Rev. 90, Issued: 07-25-08, Effective: 03-19-08, Implementation: 08-25-08)
A. General
Use of the International Normalized Ratio (INR) or prothrombin time (PT) - standard measurement for reporting the blood’s clotting time) - allows physicians to determine the level of anticoagulation in a patient independent of the laboratory reagents used. The INR is the ratio of the patient’s PT (extrinsic or tissue-factor dependent coagulation pathway) compared to the mean PT for a group of normal individuals. Maintaining patients within his/her prescribed therapeutic range minimizes adverse events associated with inadequate or excessive anticoagulation such as serious bleeding or thromboembolic events. Patient self-testing and self-management through the use of a home INR monitor may be used to improve the time in therapeutic rate (TTR) for select groups of patients. Increased TTR leads to improved clinical outcomes and reductions in thromboembolic and hemorrhagic events.
Warfarin (also prescribed under other trade names, e.g., Coumadin®) is a self-administered, oral anticoagulant (blood thinner) medication that affects the vitamin K-dependent clotting factors II, VII, IX and X. It is widely used for various medical conditions, and has a narrow therapeutic index, meaning it is a drug with less than a 2-fold difference between median lethal dose and median effective dose. For this reason, since October 4, 2006, it falls under the category of a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) “black-box” drug whose dosage must be closely monitored to avoid serious complications. A PT/INR monitoring system is a portable testing device that includes a finger-stick and an FDA-cleared meter that measures the time it takes for a person’s blood plasma to clot
B. Nationally Covered Indications
For services furnished on or after March 19, 2008, Medicare will cover the use of home PT/INR monitoring for chronic, oral anticoagulation management for patients with mechanical heart valves, chronic atrial fibrillation, or venous thromboembolism (inclusive of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism) on warfarin. The monitor and the home testing must be prescribed by a treating physician as provided at 42 CFR 410.32(a), and all of the following requirements must be met:

1. The patient must have been anticoagulated for at least 3 months prior to use of the home INR device; and,

2. The patient must undergo a face-to-face educational program on anticoagulation management and must have demonstrated the correct use of the device prior to its use in the home; and,

3. The patient continues to correctly use the device in the context of the management of the anticoagulation therapy following the initiation of home monitoring; and,

Self-testing with the device should not occur more frequently than once a week.

C. Nationally Non-Covered Indications
N/A
D. Other
1. All other indications for home PT/INR monitoring not indicated as nationally covered above remain at local Medicare contractor discretion.
2. This national coverage determination (NCD) is distinct from, and makes no changes to, the PT clinical laboratory NCD at section 190.17 of Publication 100-03 of the NCD Manual.
(This NCD last reviewed March 2008.)

The place I got my Inratio ($758) and strips ($250 +- for 48) was www.claflinequip.com, but you have to buy your carry case separately from another site, and also purchase your lancing device and lancets separately (recommendation is Walgreens, and use size 21 gauge lancets-not the fine (26) or extra fine (31) that diabetics use. The 21s can be a bit difficult to find). They send some full unit disposable lancets with the device, but they're 26s, and sometimes I don't get enough blood from those, so I don't use them.
You'll need medical authorization form ss by your MD, and you have to track the form down on the claflin website as the link from the Inratio page is broken. You may be happier buying the home kit direct from philips or whomever even though you'll pay more, if you don't want the hassle of piecing it together. I spent a total of $1000, but I don't have to call in my results to anyone, and my cardio is very happy I am self-managing.

Latest posts

Back