Newbe needs help

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appreciate all the new post and info... I need it. ;)
Ross, thanks for info on Medicare.

My thinking was that I would continue with my Cardiologist doing as he has. But that I would be able to check my INR weekly if I felt necessary.

Yesterday, went in for INR and it was down to 2.0. Didn't surprise me for I thought it would be low. I don't like for it to get below 2.5. So this would have been prevented, had I had a home monitor.

I understand that some of you never have your INR checked by your doctor? Then who's writing prescriptions for Coumadin?

My Cardiologist takes care of testing and dosage. But I get the Coumadin through VA for I get it for a nice discount on prescriptions.

In my case, my Cardiologist calls in my prescriptions. I just tell him what I need and it's done. I call him if I'm out of range for some reason, tell him my plan to correct the situation and that's the end of it. It's all written in my record and I see him every 6 months. With that being said, my Cardio is cool with this plan. Many of them are not. Very few feel that they can let people fly solo and it's general because they don't know how to dose Coumadin properly themselves or they want your money to stay in their offices and labs.

My PCP is the exact opposite. He doesn't believe in home testing, prefering old school ideas to the new ways. Guess who the director of the lab is?
He kept telling me at first that he never heard of home INR testing, then when I confronted him about the Cardiologists using a finger stick tester, he just sort of moaned. Then he tried to say they aren't accurate, so I challenged him. Do two back to back tests from the lab vs my machine and see if his lab came up with the same results 2 times in a row. He declined the challenge.

If you find you need ammunition to support getting a machine, let me know. I've collected enough stuff over the years to make a skeptic look stupid.

Ross, not sure I know what you mean by PCP?

I don't know for sure about my Cardiologist but he didn't seem negative when I asked about home testing. He said his office had a INR monitor but didn't rely on it. He sends the samples out to a lab. Back when we had the motorhome I went to some small hospitals that used INR monitors.

Not sure how VA would accept it? At the present my Cardiologist's office calls the INR results to VA. I call VA when I need more Coumadin and they mail it to me.
I know the local VA clinic uses the INR monitor. I only go there once a year so I can qualify for prescriptions. They normally don't check my INR for they know my Cardiologist takes care of it.

Thanks Ross, I should have known that. :eek:

My PCP is my cardiologist. I was once in a HMO for a few months and they required something like that.

So you don't call anyone with your INR results other than your Cardiologist if your out of range.

I notice QAS says something about calling the INR results to them and they call the Cardiologist? Is this a requirement?
Also they sent me some forums and I see at the top " Roche CoaguChek XS." But I see at their site, they also have the
INRatio2 PT/INR Monitor for the same price. I believe that is the one I want.

Actually Ross, Claflin will sell it direct to the patient. We just have to fill out the medical necessity form and have the doctor sign and fax in. I filled out the order on line, and they called me and requested the medical necessity form. That was all. I just told them I knew what I was doing and buying.

Claflin does not sell the "patient" kit that Raytel/philips does, but it's the same machine, with a wall plug as a bonus. Then you purchase your case and strips and lancet and lances separately. Claflin sells strip, but not the rest.

Actually Ross, Claflin will sell it direct to the patient. We just have to fill out the medical necessity form and have the doctor sign and fax in. I filled out the order on line, and they called me and requested the medical necessity form. That was all. I just told them I knew what I was doing and buying.

Claflin does not sell the "patient" kit that Raytel/philips does, but it's the same machine, with a wall plug as a bonus. Then you purchase your case and strips and lancet and lances separately. Claflin sells strip, but not the rest.

Laurie:

I had my PCP fill out a Medical Authorization Form for Claflin. Is this the form you're talking about?? I don't have a letter of medical necessity form per se from Claflin. Haven't faxed it in yet.

Yup. Medical necessity form/Medical Authorization form. I'm being sloppy with my words.

Last edited:
Back