New valve and a new ascending aorta - a few questions.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Joe,
My son was 16 when his aorta dissected (see below for all that he has been through) so I am a bit paranoid about aneurysms - in other words take this advice with a grain of salt.
But here it is....Please don't do the push ups and sit ups, etc. You only have a few weeks to your surgery and I think you should only be doing light cardio. You do not want to do exercises that elevate your BP. You DO NOT want a dissection.

You are obviously very fit and you have caught this problem in time for surgery. Your family will have you around for a good long time.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Ditto to Deanne,

Concentrate on getting your teeth cleaned, avoid the flu and just stay well for your big date. You'll have plenty of opportunity to tax your new cardio system after your back at home. Good luck and best wishes Joe.

Vincent (54)
BAVR with 27mm ON-X and ascending aorta conduit NYP Weill Cornell Dec 19, 2008.

PS. I am not a medical professional or a doctor. My comments in this forum are my own opinion and are not intended to be given as medical or professional advise or a recommendation of any valve choice. Decisions that affect your health and wellbeing are ultimately yours and your doctors. vprnet

Is it reasonable to expect the valve and graft to last for the rest of my lifespan? Do I need to have the rest of my aorta checked to ensure that there aren't any other aneurysms? Are there typically any problems where the graft connects with the aorta? Is there any thing else that I can do to be proactive so that I can be here for my wife and kids for years to come?

Thanks.

Joe

Hi Joe...and welcome...
to answer your questions simply...
1.yes
2.yes
3.no
4.your'e already doing it.

glad you found us...good to hear you have led such a fabulous active life, it gives hope to those who have just found out they need a valve replacement and are wondering what impact it will have on their lives......

I thought you could not have am MRI if you had a mechanical valve, or like me, an annuloplasty ring. My Cadio uses a CT scan to keep tabs on my aortic aneurysm.

Most mech valves are able to go thru the MRI, The patient card will say MRI compatable (or something close to that) I'm not sure about the ring, what is it make of?

Yep, most relatively modern Mechanical Valves are MRI compatible (contact the manufacturer if in doubt), at least up to some specified Magnetic Field Intensity. MY St. Jude Card has "MRI Compatible" printed on it.

FWIW, ANY magnetic metal object in your body would probably be a contra-indication for MRI. Note that MOST (high quality) Stainless Steel is NOT magnetic. Lower grade stainless steel can be somewhat magnetic.

I was first diagnosed as Marfan, later BAV

I was first diagnosed as Marfan, later BAV

Most of my adult life I was living as a Marfan-like person. I used to run my local Marfan support group. I definitley have connective tissue problems. In 2002, a Marfan expert at Stanford pointed out that my "real problem" was better diagnosed as BAV with aneurysm, than Marfan with BAV. He predicted that I would need the BAV replaced before the aneurysm would cause me problems. And, as predicted, I had to have my BAV replaced and my aortic root (including the aneurysm) replaced on December 23, 2008.

Since Marfan and BAV can be closely aligned, I would never do weight lifting or pushups. Marfan people are advised to do repetitions of low weight usage rather than true weight lifting or exercising such as pushups. FYI.

As for genetic testing for Marfan: Each family's version of genetic defect is unique to that family. Only by finding other family members with Marfan-like characteristics can a true genetic test be run. Diagnostic criteria based on defined physical characteristics are presently used to determine if a person has Marfan Syndrome. The general diagnostic criteria are not true "genetic" criteria.

I am glad nothing bad happened to you who have done weightlifting, but I personally would not do it.

Maryka
------
BAVR/Aortic root replacement, Dec. 23, 2008, Johns Hopkins, Dr. Duke Cameron.

Latest posts

Back