New to this side of the mountain!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear things went well. I hope to see on the other side Tuesday about this time. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I found out yesterday that a really good belly laugh can help get the gunk out of my lungs.

In reading this forum I went to 2leafers update to see how he was doing post op and noticed in his report he asked if anyone had heard anything from me since my surgery. I had very recently posted this report that I titled “New to this side of the mountain” (for anyone new here, the mountain referring to valve surgery).

Lynlw was kind enough in her response to include a link to my post that, at least on my computer, reads exactly like this http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...f-the-mountain!

My wife was sitting on the bed giggling at “America’s Funniest Home Videos” while I hogged the computer in the hotel room. I said to her, “this is nice that Lynlw posted a link to my report”. Then I looked more closely at the title on the link……. “f-the-mountain!”.

I laughed… I cried…I coughed…and I spat up gunk out of the deep part of my lungs. It was a wonderful experience and I hope to laugh like that many times in the next few days.

f-the-mountain! My sentiments exactly!

Currently POD #6 with bovine valve.

First setback this morning after taking my morning meds and breakfast. My lower lip swelled up. No other symptoms, but angioedema is not to be triffled with.

One of the disadvantages of going away for surgery like I did is that the doctors here are not caught up on what all has happened so far. So I took up way too much of my primary care docs time getting him caught up. After much consideration we figure the reaction is to the high doses of motrin that I have been taking for pericarditis and pain. We called Cleveland and they feel that the pericarditis does not need to be treated any longer. So we will see how things go with Tylenol alone here for a bit. So far so good.

ROFL indeed! Thanks for the laugh, and congrats for being over the crest of the mountain, on the easier downward slope.

Endorphins!!!!

Endorphins!!!!

YES>>>ENDORPHINS

I woke up this morning feeling strangely euphoric. It is POD #8 and today has been a breakthrough day. As I got up and around I tried to figure out what I was feeling and then it came to me. It is endorphins. Just the same as after an all out 10k. Enough minor pain and discomfort over a period of time, and my brain finally said "let's give this boy a break and release some happy molecules". For all of this I say "thanks brain!!!".

OK, maybe it could be the reduction of the dose of beta blocker. Maybe just the anesthesia finally working its way through. But, whatever it is, I will take it.

I also realize that there are still lots of bumps in the road ahead. I am prepared to have some "down days" like yesterday was for me. But, I hope the memory of days like today will help those down days to not be so bad.

I am going to start a training log of the walks I take and how many stair climbs I do per day to make sure I get some in. It should also keep me from doing too much on good days.

My pain control is down to 3.5 g of Tylenol per day and I hope to taper to 2.5 g in the next few days.

Sneeze prevention tip

Sneeze prevention tip

Hi EchoGuy,
How are you doing?
I'm starting Cardiac Rehab this morning so I've just got a moment to turn you on to a great tip to prevent sneezing. It works about 80% of the time, which is worth its weight in gold when your recovering from AVR. When you first feel a sneeze coming on make a fist with either hand. I'm right handed so I use my right hand. Place your index and middle finger knuckles between your upper lip and your nostrils. Press firmly until the feeling of the sneeze goes away. There is a pressure point there. Sometimes I move my knuckles around slightly but I'm not sure that matters. Like I noted above, this works almost all the time for me. Let me know how it works for you and how your doing.

Gotta feed the dogs and get ready for my first rehab session. Boy am I excited about getting back on the treadmill. YAHOO!!!
2leafer

Two Week Update

Two Week Update

Hey Everybody:

It has been two weeks today that I had my OHS. For those facing surgery soon, I hope that following the progress of those of us recently moved to the downslope of the mountain can be encouraging and helpful.

Here's the scoop.

Physical- I am still weak. Much weaker than prior to surgery, but getting better every day and I feel that in another few weeks or so to be back to my previous level of energy. I take at least two naps per day and am no where near being ready to go back to work. I walk three .5 to .75 mile walks at a pace of 27-29 minutes per mile and climb our single flight of stairs about 5-6 times per day. My weight is down a pound or two from pre-surgery, but my appetite is back and I will need to be careful. My resting HR is 77 on a beta blocker compared to 60 prior to surgery on no beta blocker.

Emotional - I had some down days in the hospital, and early on when home, but my mood has been pretty good lately. It is good that I like college basketball:)

Complications - I had peri-carditis immediately post op as evidenced by some ST segment elevation on my EKG without elevated troponin levels. This was treated with motrin post op and we are no longer treating.

On POD #6, our second day home, after I took my morning meds my lower lip swelled up pretty big. We saw my primary care doc who felt it was either an allergic reaction to the high doses of motrin or that I had developed an allergy to latex, peanut butter or bananas. Still waiting for some test results on that one, but I have not had anything like it since.

Pain- I had lots of pain in the ICU that was fairly well controlled with Fentanyl. POD#1 I took one Percocet which helped with pain but made me goofy. After that the motrin really did the trick until I had the allergic reaction. I am now on two tylenols before bed and would say that I have mild discomfort in my central chest, but very tolerable at this level. I am sleeping on my side on two pillows comfortably and have done so since I have been home. I do not have a recliner.

Over all. So far so good. I know there may still be some bumps in the road, but I have been very blessed so far. Thanks again for all of the support from those of you who have been on this side of the mountain longer than me.

Happy trails.

Thanks for your 2 week progress report Echoguy! It sounds like you are on the 'upslide'. Hope everyday continues to improve in leaps and bounds.

Three weeks out!!!

Three weeks out!!!

Hey Everybody:

Today is three weeks since surgery for me.

All still going well. No evidence of any type of infection. Walking about three 1.8 to 2 mile walks per day at about 19 minutes per mile pace. Don't notice the stairs any more. Off all pain meds for over a week now except for the 81 mg of ASA I take as my only blood thinner.

My resting HR is still in the mid 70s even with 12.5 mg of beta blocker bid. My pre-op resting HR was about 60 and when I am in good running shape it is in the mid to high 40s. My weight is one pound over my pre-op weight and still 10-15 pounds up from good running shape. Looking forward to running that off in a few months!

I've got a little nagging lower back pain that I think is from laying around so much.

My wife feels comfortable enough with me that she went for a "girls outing" with her Mom and sisters that they planned long ago down in Florida. It's a bit lonely, but friends are coming to take me for meals which is fun.

I see my cardiologist in 5 days and I am hoping to be able to drive soon. How does he check if the sternum is healed? He doesn't have to push on it does he:eek:

Thank you all for the support the past month. It has made this all much more tolerable to have some idea what to expect.

My summary of my experience so far would look like this.
#1. I am glad we spent the extra money to travel to a specialty center.
#2. Waking up on the vent was much worse for me than I had expected. This may be due to my pericarditis because the pain went away as soon as I took something with an anti-inflammatory.
#3. I got to experience one day of significant depression about POD#4. I hope that does not come back, but helps me understand what others are talking about.
#4. Recovery in general has gone better than expected, but I am worried that I could get used to this life of leisure:rolleyes:

Echo glad to hear you are doing well. I look forward to your updates. It helps me know where I'm at in my recovery. It sounds like yours is very close to mine. You are a little ahead of me but your a week infront of me too. I was never a runner so I wonder how that will play into my recovery. It may be something I learn to enjoy but i doubt it. Anyway thanks for the updates and keep them coming.

Hey Everybody:

Today is three weeks since surgery for me.

All still going well. No evidence of any type of infection. Walking about three 1.8 to 2 mile walks per day at about 19 minutes per mile pace. Don't notice the stairs any more. Off all pain meds for over a week now except for the 81 mg of ASA I take as my only blood thinner.

My resting HR is still in the mid 70s even with 12.5 mg of beta blocker bid. My pre-op resting HR was about 60 and when I am in good running shape it is in the mid to high 40s. My weight is one pound over my pre-op weight and still 10-15 pounds up from good running shape. Looking forward to running that off in a few months!

I've got a little nagging lower back pain that I think is from laying around so much.

My wife feels comfortable enough with me that she went for a "girls outing" with her Mom and sisters that they planned long ago down in Florida. It's a bit lonely, but friends are coming to take me for meals which is fun.

I see my cardiologist in 5 days and I am hoping to be able to drive soon. How does he check if the sternum is healed? He doesn't have to push on it does he:eek:

Thank you all for the support the past month. It has made this all much more tolerable to have some idea what to expect.

My summary of my experience so far would look like this.
#1. I am glad we spent the extra money to travel to a specialty center.
#2. Waking up on the vent was much worse for me than I had expected. This may be due to my pericarditis because the pain went away as soon as I took something with an anti-inflammatory.
#3. I got to experience one day of significant depression about POD#4. I hope that does not come back, but helps me understand what others are talking about.
#4. Recovery in general has gone better than expected, but I am worried that I could get used to this life of leisure:rolleyes:

Congrats on 3 week anniversary Brian! Hope all keeps going well for both of us. I still have to take one or two Tylenols a day to contain the incision site pain and discomfort. My right side chest feels super tight. One incision in groin has opened up a little bit so I had to take another trip to CC (I am still in Cleveland at my sister's) and they have asked for dressing for a week or two. I am planning to return to work from next week onwards if I feel better.
Really can't complain on the overall experience. The CC nurse was really kind and she took care of me during her lunch time because she did not have any other time free. Totally agree with you about coming to CC. Take care and take it easy.
Ashish

Four Weeks Post Op

Four Weeks Post Op

Hey Everybody:

Today is my four week post op point and all is still going fine. I saw my cardiologist Monday and he is pleased with my progress and released me to drive next week and back to work in two weeks. He reduced my beta blocker to 12.5mg once per day rather than twice.

I can still feel a dull ache in my chest and at times can feel my heart beating, but nothing to keep me awake or uncomfortable.

I am able to walk three or four times per day at 1.5-2 miles per trip and have reduced my pace from 30 minute miles to 16.5. I try to keep my heart rate in the 90's most of the walk. It does increase by about 10 on significant uphills. I am going to see a cardiac rehab person tomorrow to set up a bit more formal program.

A single nap after lunch now seems to do the trick and I will miss that in a few weeks when I get back to work.

I will need to develop more patience. I am reminded of a poster that I saw in my childhood that had two vultures sitting on a limb looking down and the one says "Patience my ass, I'm gonna kill something!"

Happy trails.

Back