New to this side of the mountain!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi echoguy,

It sounds like you're recovering extremely well, and fast! My recovery was somewhat slower, but you were probably in better shape than I was before my surgery. I'm five months out from surgery and feel very well, although I still tire easily and need more sleep than I have since I was a teenager (and that I never seem to be able to keep up with). My incision site is still sore sometimes, and I think I have a bit of wire that sticks out (not a sharp end, fortunately) and is a tiny bit sore. I'm about three weeks into cardiac rehab, which I thought would be a pain, but I'm really enjoying it and getting a lot out of it. I'm really envious of you for that nap you're still able to take -- the third week after my surgery I was no longer able to nap. Man, I miss those naps!

I hope your recovery continues to be so positive! Keep us posted.

Five Weeks!

Five Weeks!

Hey Everybody. I know I am turning my thread into more of a blog, but I thought for at least several weeks it may be helpful for those who are facing surgery to follow post op progress as it happens.

My check up with the cardiologist last week went well and I have been driving for a few days. I am scheduled to go back to work next week and will work half days for most of the week and then full time the following week.

I have been to two cardiac rehab sessions and started in Phase III out of the gate. She is allowing me to get my HR up to 120 and if all goes well with tomorrows session she is going to allow me to jog a little on the treadmill. My last run was in mid October when I passed out nearing the finish line of a half marathon. I am really looking forward to running again.

My resting, out of bed, HR is now approaching 60, which is what it was immediately prior to surgery. I am on 12.5 mg of metoprolol in the morning. My resting HR when in excellent running shape is in the mid 40s. Not sure if I will ever get there again.

As I reflect back now on the past five weeks, I realize that I am not going to meet one of the expectations that I had going in to surgery. I expected to read a lot in this "down time" and do some very heavy thinking about the world. I hoped to form a strong and informed opinions on both health care reform and relief in Haiti. I have read a little on each subject, but nothing to feel ready to debate on either issue. Instead, I spend a lot more time watching mindless sports and TV. Just don't quite have the motivation (or energy?) to tackle the heavy stuff yet. So...I will have to squeeze in an informed opinion on those matters in my free time in the evenings while I am back at work. Oh well.

I can still feel a little bit of pulling in my central chest and it hurts a little when I sneeze, but I am in no significant pain at all and have not been for weeks.

I do find that when I speak that I occasionally struggle to find a word that should be common. But, I had a bit of that for a few years before surgery and I don't think that my wife would say that I am any different to talk to. I feel as intellectually strong as I have in years.

It is all good.

Happy trails.

Hey Everybody:

This week is 8 weeks since my surgery. So far so good.

I have been back to work for the past three weeks so have not had as much time to participate in the forum. Lots of catching up to do. My energy level is now back to about my pre-op level. I am hoping it will get even better.

Because I am a runner, my cardiologist started me in Phase III rehab right out of the gate. The good part of that is that I get pretty individualized attention. I am scheduled to have my last session next Thursday. My rehab nurse is allowing me to run while watching my HR and keeping me at a fairly low level. Today I went to my running club and was actually able to run with friends. Woohoo!

I am scheduled for an ECHO and cardiac CT at the end of the month. Will go back to Cleveland to check in with my surgeon the first Friday in June, three months out.

Some things I have noticed.

My ankles are swelling a little in the evening. I think that I was getting a little of this pre-op, but would have thought it would not be happening at this point.
I can feel my heart beating in my chest when I breath in. It goes away when I breath out. Reminds me on every breath that I had surgery recently. Probably a good thing.
I can still hear my heartbeat in my ears. I always thought that was my murmur before, but I am told my murmur is gone. Hmmm.
I am ravenous. I am eating like I am running 70 miles per week. My weight has not gone up too much yet, but I am having a hard time getting this under control. I am at the top end of all of my pants and belts and need to drop the 10 pounds I put on when I could not exercise. Very frustrating.

Thanks again for all of the support from the regulars on this forum. I will try to not be a stranger.

Hi echoguy,

Sounds good. I am just over 12 weeks and I have been doing short runs and walks up steeper hills. I have found that I am no where near my pre op levels especially on the hills. I have not had rehab as they said I would probably be wasting my time now (things were delayed due to heart irregularities which only occur at rest). I too can hear my heart beating (and clicking) especially when I take a deep breath and expand my chest. I used to take a deep breath to see whether my heart was irregular. My weight has gone up by about 9 pounds (I am only 5ft 1in) and I am now concentraiting on slowly loosing it now that I am a little more active. It is now 6:30 am and I am about to go for my daily little run/walk up the hill and I am really looking forward to it.
All the best
Martin

Hey Everybody:

Thought I would throw a bit of an update out there for those who might read these threads to see how things go post op for different folks.

I am now approaching my 12th post op week. All is fine. I saw my cardiologist last week and my ventricular wall is now approaching normal size, which is a big improvement from baseline. I go to Cleveland at the end of the week to see my surgeon for my one and only post op visit with him.

I am back to work and able to go pretty much full steam now.

I have been slowly increasing my running miles and now up to 30 miles per week. I've run in two 5ks the past two weekends and have behaved myself. I've not done the cross training that I had hoped, but I never did that before surgery.

I am glad that I chose Dr. Roselli at the Cleveland Clinic and glad that I chose to go with a tissue valve, but completely understand that all of the decisions are individual.

Best to those of you early on in your recovery!

Hey Everybody:

I have been slowly increasing my running miles and now up to 30 miles per week. I've run in two 5ks the past two weekends and have behaved myself. I've not done the cross training that I had hoped, but I never did that before surgery.

Congratulations! What was your running mileage before surgery? How hard did you run the 5Ks?

Awsome news Echoguy. Looking forward to my 12th week (coming up on week 4 tomorrow). Am told I might be able to get back doing some workouts (including weightlifting) at that point - dependent on cardiologist / surgeon approval of course. Glad to hear you're doing so well - gives us that are following in your footsteps hope!

Congratulations! What was your running mileage before surgery? How hard did you run the 5Ks?

Hi Bean Counter!

Well, immediately before surgery I couldn't walk up hills without getting lightheaded and chest pain, so I was not running at all. Two years ago I was running about 60 miles per week and have run over 50 marathons and ultramarathons in the past ten years.

I am running my races "comfortably hard". Enough to get a workout, but not "redlining" by any stretch. I do not plan to run hard anytime soon, and maybe never. Just glad to be running with friends again.

Latest posts

Back