New to Forum - Surgery is July 2nd - SCARED

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Laura, I cannot add much to what everyone else has already said other than my welcome to the VR forum. My surgery was a little over a year ago and looking back, I can hardly remember. I slept in my bed from the day I got home from the hospital with lots of pillows I might add. My sleep pattern was sleep 4 hours in the bed, then wake up and move to couch, again with many pillows for my back. I truly don't remember the intubation tube. I vaguely remember waking up and my husband was there telling me the tube was still in and to relax. Fell back to sleep, next time I woke the tube was gone. They give you enough lala sleepy juice that you won't notice. Now try and relax and things will work out fine. Just set your mind on that cruise and all else will fall into place. :)

Laura...ditto all of the above. I, like you and Star, was awake nights thinking about the tube. When I mentioned it pre-op the anethesiologist assurred me that I would be "medicated"....he was right..I have no memory of the tube at all. To be sure....waiting is the worst part. You are in my prayers for peace of mind and a successful surgery and recovery. Remember to update us when you are able to post after the surgery.

Laura.... You are so normal in all of your concerns and hopefully we can ease your stress a bit.

The wait really is the worst part of this odyssey.
I had two OHS in four years and both times I woke with the tube in place but my nurse put me back to sleep so fast I barely remembered it either time. When I awoke later, it was removed and I have no memory of them pulling it.

I was fortunate to be asble to sleep in our bed fresh home from the hospital but with more pillows than usual. We have a recliner but I never wanted it and didn't use it.

Our best friend is a Primary Care Doc and he insisted we come to his house for dinner the first weekend I was out of the hospital. It was bitter cold, New England weather in early January and I was sure he was trying to kill me. He was so right to show me I wasn't fragile and wouldn't break. It was such a huge favor he did us to see we could get back to our normal lives starting as soon as I was up to each new step.

Hope you have an easy time waiting until your date for surgery and please know all questions here are important to us....no matter what.

Sending you best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery.

Laura,
welcome you have come to the right place. Everyone on here are so wonderful, I had my surgery in January and don't know how I would of made with out every one here. I no longer felt alone. As you have heard the waiting is the worst part. Try to fill these last days ahead with relaxing, fun things. Get out of the house with some girlfriends. You are going to be fine and we all look forward to hearing from you once you're on the other side of the mountain.

You are all so wonderful and I'm convinced now that I can do this tube thing (lol, do I have a choice?) I'll practice the gestures with my husband before Thursday as he is oblivious and will probably be sitting in the chair next to my bed playing Tetris and won't even notice my arms flailing about as I'm freaking from the tube. He's 59 going on 5!

Star, I know exactly what you're saying. I have Xanax too for sleeping but it's not working lately. You wake up hourly and instantly remember that you're on a countdown to getting your chest cracked open. I find that I just want to crawl under the covers in the morning and not face the world but we have to. We have to say thanks for catching this heart disease before our hearts were totally damaged. We've sold our house and are moving out of state. I have been lifting so many heavy boxes since April and am one very lucky lady to still be alive with severe AS. I had no idea my valve had deteriorated so much in a year.

Star, we can help get each other over the mountain here so anytime you need me, I'll be here along with all our wonderful new friends on this forum. Some of you are so young to have these problems. You're also very brave and that makes me feel stronger.

Laura,

The breathing tube was one of my big worries going in too, and they actually had to keep it in an extra period of time because I was slow to build up oxygen intake. (That was unusual, I think.) But it turned out not to be a problem. I was still in a foggy state and the nurses were reassuring. Didn't have any fears -- and a good thing the tube was in -- it saved my life. Try to think of it as your friend and just go with the flow. As others have said, there is a good chance it will be out before you are awake anyway, especially since you have told your surgeon about your concern.

Wishing you all the best on the 2nd -- am confident you will do well. Prayers and Godspeed.

Laura, I worked out a bunch of hand signals with my wife, but when I awake I just made a handwriting motion and the nurse gave me a pencil and paper to write on. I kept falling back asleep and didn't wake up for good until over 14 hours from when I originally went under, so I was never bothered by the vent tube. The nurse tried really hard to keep my awake by turning bright lights on my face and playing the TV real loud. That was much more annoying than the tube. I was so thirsty afterward, and those ice chips were probably the best meal I've ever had. :) BTW, I was still not able to speak for 30 mins after the tube was removed because my throat was so dry.

For the recliner, I went to Rent-a-Center and got a lift-chair for $25/wk, which I still have 3 months after surgery. My wife really wants it out of the bedroom, so I'll probably return it in a week or so -- I just use it to watch TV now. It's not just easier to sleep in but so much easier to get in and out of than a bed.

Good luck on your surgery and try to remain calm. We all here know what the waiting is like, and for most of us, me included, it was definitely worst than the surgery and recovery. Welcome to VR, Laura, and keep us informed on your progress!

Laura, we can help each other...I'm here also, I still am going to work, until the day before to keep occupied, and I will be eating Xanex like tic-tac's by then. I have decided to rehab in NJ at an Atlantic Highland facility...I am single and do not want the family circus to disrupt their (and my life) because of this, after all when it is over I will have to function alone until it it's time to go back to my crazy job in the city...
So we will hang on to each other in this forum with all of those seasoned healers to help us both.
I assume you have stopped the lifting and taking it easy..keep your pressure down, and stay strong!

My thoughts are with you Laura. I'm sure you will do just fine since you are already almost through the worst part of this surgery--the anticipation! I had my AVR four months ago and recently replied that way when asked what the worst part of the whole experience was by several family members. I honestly hadn't thought too much about it until that moment and in hindsight found myself surprised by my answer. Like you, I was most afraid of the vent tube, but that drug shrouded memory has long passed in comparison to the anxiety I felt just before surgery.

Have lots of pillows on hand for when you come home, they will be your best friends in the immediate days home and rent that recliner if you think you will need it. I only slept in my recliner the first night since I found I wasn't at all comfortable there at night, but I certainly found it to be the best chair for during the daytime. I did get a wedge pillow for my bed and that made sleeping at night much easier. A heating pad is also wonderful if you find yourself with back/neck discomfort, as many of us have after surgery.

Best wishes and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Let us know how you are doing once you begin to get back on your feet.

Jane

Laura, I wish you all the best for your surgery. I would also like to remind you after the surgery not to overdo it. I read about how you take care of your husband and would like to stress to you how bad it is to rush the healing process. Hopefully you will recover quickly.

This is a time that your true friends will be made known. You will need help cooking, cleaning, laundry, and the like. Try to line up your friends, and family in shifts as to not be overwhelmed. Also your congregation (if you go to church) sometimes has some outreach programs to help just let your pastor know.

I wish you all the best. Good luck & God Bless.

I've always known this day would come but I'm still not ready for this.

"...I can see how scared he is for me and that is making me all the more determined.."

I can relate to both of these,and I think having a loved who cares this much
is what helps us to be more brave.
Sending best wishes and positive energy to you -Dina

Hi laura and welcome,i know you will do fine the waiting and fears
of presurgery are for all of us the worst.
I cannot recall the breathing tube and had 2 surgeries in 17 year time frame.

For me the wait was the worst,surgery was easy part and again you will do fine and look back on the worry and fear and wonder as i did why we put so much energy into it.:)

Wishing you all the best and looking forward to your post surgery
recovery and hearing from you soon on post recovery.

zipper2 (DEB)

Thank you all a million times for your thoughtfulness and your experiences are so, so helpful. I have two full days to prepare before Thursday and I will take all of this info and get ready. My best friend is flying up from Florida to help me and also take care of my husband while I'm down. He's pretty self-sufficient now but I spoiled him so much when he had his stroke that now he's lazy! His party is OVER! LOL.

Star, please take it easy and do not rush back to work too soon after your surgery. I worked in NYC for 39 years and I know how difficult those subway stairs can be not to mention the pressure of staying employed these days in this tough job market. Just walking the streets in NYC rush hour is trying. I was on 42nd & Madison and it was so busy that you couldn't walk without getting bumped into ever. Yes, we can get each other through this and I promise to tell you how easy this surgery is in a few days! Okay? Sending you a big hug and strength. We are all here for you.

Hi Laura--
Just wanted to add my welcome and encouragement. I had AVR in November, and the wait was definitely the worst part--not that any of it was easy, but...I woke up with the tube, and it wasn't too pleasant, but really not as bad as I had feared. I was able to blow dry my hair by the time I came home from the hospital--10 days after surgery. Before that, I didn't really care about how I looked, which is pretty unusual for me. I didn't have a recliner, but slept with a big back pillow with arms on the bed. I wasn' t able to lay down, so this helped quite a bit. I will be 60 in October, and my husband and I are going to Paris to celebrate--that was my dream. So I know you'll be going to the Caribbean. I also made a friend from this site who was having surgery the two days later at the same hospital. We managed to meet before, and it was really helpful to go through it with somebody. All the best with everything.

Hi Laura, Welcome to our part of the world. I'm in NJ also! Everyone has said all there is to be said. I just wanted to echo everyone by saying take it easy, I know it's easier said then done, but we all have been there. I'll be thinking of you on the 2nd! Come back and tell us how well you did!

recliner

recliner

yes, beg, borrow or hire a recliner.

i slept well on my hospital reclining bed but had a hard time trying to sleep on flat beds, arm chairs and settees when i got home. it was a very uncomfortable experience.

after 3/4 days i worked out how to make the bed comfy with a pile of carefully placed pillows... but save yourself the bother by getting yourself a recliner.

good luck!

Thanks all. One more day. This waiting is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll definitely report back as soon as I can. Hubby is a wreck so I don't want to ask him to post updates for me. Hopefully, I'll be using my laptop in a few short days and will be reporting to you that it was not so bad :)

Sending you all best wishes, Laura.
Hope your surgery goes smoothly and you have an uneventful recovery.
We'll be waiting to hear from you as soon as you are able.

Godspeed.......

Latest posts

Back