New to Forum - Surgery is July 2nd - SCARED

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraS

I've always known this day would come but I'm still not ready for this. Having AV replacement in 6 days and the waiting is soooo stressful. Thank you all for your advice and for documenting your experiences here. This site has been so helpful and reading about how the surgery is becoming a distant memory for many of you is making me breathe a sigh of relief. I wish I could just run away. My husband had a stroke at 52 (he's now 59) and I've taken care of him ever since. I can see how scared he is for me and that is making me all the more determined to be back on my feet quickly.

My catheterization was good thankfully and I'm hoping for a quick recovery. I have never had surgery of this magnitude in my life and the thing that scares me the most is the breathing tube. My surgeon promises to extubate ASAP but I know I will have to wake up with that tube! This is freaking me out more than anything.

Also, I don't have a recliner in my home. Will I be able to get any rest with lots of pillows or should I look into renting a recliner? We have sold our house and are supposed to be moving out of state by September so any furniture we buy has to be moved.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help us newbies. NOT looking forward to next week and how I wish today was a month from now!

Welcome to the forum LauraS.

You'll be fine. There is even a small chance that the breathing tube will be gone by the time you really wake up. Well...that's what happen with me. I first kinda woke up it was there, then fell back to sleep, woke up again and it was gone. So you may not "have to wake up with that tube".
I used my own bed the first night I was home - didn't use any extra pillows, heck didn't even think about using one of 4 recliners we have. Yes it was tricky getting in and out of bed, but its doable. If you have extra pillows use them.
Try to relax, make some meals that can be frozen, cause you won't feel like cooking. Bring some items down from shelves that are higher up, cause you won't be able to reach that high. Even opening the fridge door just might be a challenge.

I hope there is someone to give you a hand when you get home from the hospital?

Oh yea, don't forget to cut your toe nails, it could be a while before you can reach that low. I learned that lesson the hard, painful way :)

Take care and don't be afraid to ask anything that's on your mind.

Hi Laura and welcome. Tube..? What breathing tube?? I never knew I had one. Just make sure your anesthesiologist knows your wishes beforehand and he/she will make sure you're asleep long enough to be extubated. I loved my recliner during the daytime, but was comfy in bed at night.

So, now take a deep breath and don't run away. Well, not this week anyway. You're focusing on post-surgery just like I did and all I thought of was lying on a Caribbean beach and we got there six months later. That was almost ten years ago now -- my how time flies when you're having fun..! So, plan your 'fun'...and best wishes to you.

Oh, thank you both for the advice and calming thoughts. My best friend is flying to NJ from Florida on July 4th to stay 2 weeks since she knows my husband won't be too helpful. I went for a pedicure yesterday so that's done. Will I be able to blow dry my own hair once I'm home? I realize everyone heals differently but I have never been dependent on anyone since I was a baby so this will be hard.

Caribbean - oh yes - I've already told hubby that we will be on a beach or cruise ship by year end. He is turning 60 in October and I promised him that we'll celebrate big time!

Thank you so much for the positive thoughts on the tube. My doctor did make a note in his file that I want it out ASAP. He also said he will try to keep the incision to 4 inches although healing will be the same but the scar will be smaller. I just want to be okay. I don't care about the scar - it'll be my first and that's pretty good for 58 years.

Dear Laura,
I'm sorry to read you're so worried and glad you've found this site to ease some of those fears.
It's funny how the dreaded breathing tube comes up again and again but really its bark is worse than its bite. I too was worried but I was so out of it when it was removed that I hardly even noticed. At that point in time you'll be drugged up to your eye balls and most likely pretty comfortable and being well looked after by a very caring bunch of proffessionals.
It's six months since my AVR and lifes pretty good, I'm surfing every day (except today as the sea was as flat as a Mill pool!) and planning a 1000 mile cycle ride too.
A couple of weeks ago I wound up in hospital two nights in a row with really breathtaking, bang my head against the wall toothache, I'd never known tooth ache like it. During those two sleepless nights I was thinking open heart surgery was an absolute walk in the park compaired to this !
Please try not to worry, you'll be fine, it's not rocket science, just a normal day at the office for the surgeons with a massive success rate leading to a happy and healthy future for you.

Laura, I promise you that this part beforehand, was, for many of us, the worst part (this includes me). The anxiety will just eat you alive.

I didn't have a recliner. Slept in my bed from day one. I would only be comfortable anywhere for around 4-5 hours so I ususally got up at some point during the night and got on the sofa for a while. Extra pillows help. Have a heating pad handy in case your back hurts. I was able to wash and dry my hair without any problem around day 5 or 6 post op. I went to the grocery with my husband the day after I got home from the hospital. He went back to work shortly after and I was fine at home alone. You and your husband will both be fine.

One more thing, don't worry about the tube. You are going to be soooo drugged that most likely you are not going to care.

Good luck.

Kim

Welcome and good luck. I'm sure you will do just fine. it really is normal to be scared.

I slept in my own bed the first night home and never slept in a recliner. I had lots of pillows.

Earline

Thank you, thank you.......I feel better already. Woodbutcher, the toothache story is too funny (I'm sure it wasn't at the time - been there) and picturing you surfing......well, that's so great.

Just the thought of going grocery shopping that fast is so encouraging. I've held so many friend's hands through illness and thankfully, they are here to hold my hand. I think I'm just having the normal meltdown pre-surgery and I promise to report back here as soon as I am home.

You have every right to be scared, I know I was and you also feel all alone like you are the only one having this surgery! But you are not and it is a journey, but you can do this! The TUBE was one of my worst fears but mine was removed ASAP, my husband was in charge of that but make sure someone wipes your eyes with a warm cloth! That was heaven when my best friend knew I was having a problem seeing! LOL! saved the day for sure! Everyone heals different, so hang in there! We all can answer most anything you want answered! I just happen to find this sight post op which I wish I would have found it pre op! But everything is good, I am now learning my INR! But with my new machine and my new chart! I am much smarter than my NP that thinks she knows everything regarding INR!

One of my favorite quotes is, "As you think, so shall you be." I know, easier said than done, but TRY with all your might to think about that vacation and you'll be there before you know it. Having just recently gone through OHS, I know the anxiety you are feeling and you have every right to feel it but TRY to focus on other things. I guess I was fortunate as my three year old daughter didn't give me much choice. I wish you well and hope you can find some peace of mind going forward. Dee

If you are fully awake with the endotracheal tube, just remember not to panic.
I woke up shortly after surgery and was awake for most of the next 10 hours on the ventilator. It isn't as awful as you are fearing. The worst part not being able to talk. Fortunately for me, I care for people in this exact situation for a living, so knew to have paper and pen handy so I could ask questions and boss my husband around! A white board is good as well.

My cath results were good as well, therefore, my surgery only took two hours, (AV and root replacement), I went home in three days and have had a remarkable recovery. So just do your best to get through the waiting and soon you will be on the other side of the mountain. (or the flip side, as my kids were calling it before my surgery)
All my good thoughts are with you. Gerriann

Rest assured - you will soon be posting to new members that their pre-op fears are the worst part. This surgery will give you a new lease on life!

basically, I have to echo what everyone else has said, the waiting is the worst ! You may have a problem with bras and with putting on socks for a week or two, but other than that, everything else is just about manageable.

Will wait for your report once you are up and over the mountain!

Welcome Laura. I could not blow dry my hair after AVR for quite a while. My blow dryer is heavy and I could not keep my arm up that long w/that heavy thing. Hopefully yours is much lighter. My DH did my hair. Many laughs over that, but I was darn grateful to wash my hair and get a shower. As far as the "tube", I was fine. Everyone is right, they keep you nice and drugged. Looking forward to hearing from you. Hope the time goes quickly for you.

I only had 2 weeks notice before my surgery - and those two weeks were pretty busy. While I had certainly suffered from some anxiety, it really disappeared a couple days before surgery. I went in feeling quite calm and confident. I woke up from the surgery to the nurses shouting for me to cough to help ease the breathing tube out - so I was never really aware that it was in.

One of the things I did during those two weeks was to get my hair cut and I'm glad I did. I would have had some trouble with the hair dryer. I think it would have seemed quite heavy after a short amount of time.

I don't have a recliner but I do have a soft, comfy chair that I spent a lot of time in. Did use some bed pillows with it to give my back support while I stretched out.

I hope this next week brings you peace - and a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Welcome Laura,
Waking with the tube...yep I did...and no it wasnt pleasant, but at least I knew right then that I survived and I knew I wanted that tube out ASAP. (Picture me gesticating wildly with both arms and hands and pointing to my mouth) I found it easier to rest the first couple nights in the hospital with lots of pillows and a recliner bed type thingy they had in the room, rather than the hospital bed. Once home, I was on the bed. I am a side sleeper, but I didnt do that for about 2 nights then I was on my side, with my huggy pillow. I had an aneurysm and aortic valve replacement. Please ask away and we will be here before and after and beyond. NO question is a dumb question.

Dear Laura,
I am going through the same fear as you, reading everyone's post on the subject has helped much...but I'm looking for a way to cut a deal with my surgeon to extubate me ASAP as well. My surgery is to remove an aneurysm (and whatever else they find),on 7/31. I wish you good luck as well...It is now 4am and I am having a hard time sleeping, the thoughts in my head keeping me awake, even with Xanex....hopefully this will get better and I will adjust to the fact by that time..
Wishing you well.....

Welcome Laura,

I wish you the best on July 2nd. I can't comment on the tube, as I am not the patient, just the mother of one. His surgery is July 1 and I can certainly relate to the anxiety of waiting.....keeping busy helps a ton!!

Again, best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery!

Welcome, Laura,

Try not to worry about the tube. I've described myself as a gifted worrier, but from reading here just decided if it was still in, I needed it to breathe, and was able to let that one go.
Most likely the "waking up" will be a sort of dim consciousness at best. I have NO memory of the tube, just a short period when somehow I knew I couldn't speak--gestures worked.

Best wishes for a peaceful mind going into surgery.

Back