New Study - Benefits of Cardiac Rehab, Feb, 2011

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mentu

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
My surgery was performed at Oklahoma Heart Institu
Here is a link to this new study of the benefits of Cardiac Rehab derived from following 12,169 cardiac patients. I've copied the Conclusion statement.

http://www.westhertshospitals.nhs.uk/whc/archive/evidence/06%20rehab/Prediction%20of%20prognosis%20by%20VO2%20in%20CR-Circ%202002.pdf

"Conclusions
Whether a cardiac patient is referred for rehabilitation after MI, CABG, or the onset of IHD (Ischemic Heart Disease or reduced blood supply), the most important single predictor of both cardiac and all-cause deaths is the V O2 peak (peak cardiorespiratory exercise) as measured by cardiorespiratory testing. Even a small exercise induced gain in aerobic power should thus make a major difference not only in functional capacity but also in survival prospects."

Here is a link to a discussion of this study published in the JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) on 14 Feb, 2011:

http://pubs.ama-assn.org/media/2011a/0214.dtl#3

"Cardiovascular disease remains the leading cause of mortality worldwide, and this is chiefly attributable to modifiable risk factors such as hypertension, dyslipidemia, obesity, smoking, unhealthy diet and a sedentary lifestyle," the authors write as background information in the article. "Cardiac rehabilitation offers a comprehensive approach to chronic disease management, by addressing these risk factors." Evidence demonstrates that, compared with usual care, cardiac rehabilitation reduces illness and death by about one-fourth over one to two years. However, an estimated 70 percent to 80 percent of eligible patients being treated for cardiac disease in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom do not receive cardiac rehabilitation after being discharged from the hospital. "

"Conclusions
Whether a cardiac patient is referred for rehabilitation after MI, CABG, or the onset of IHD (Ischemic Heart Disease or reduced blood supply), the most important single predictor of both cardiac and all-cause deaths is the V O2 peak (peak cardiorespiratory exercise) as measured by cardiorespiratory testing. Even a small exercise induced gain in aerobic power should thus make a major difference not only in functional capacity but also in survival prospects."

>>"Cardiovascular disease remains the leading cause of mortality worldwide,..............."Cardiac rehabilitation offers a comprehensive approach to chronic disease management, by addressing these risk factors." Evidence demonstrates that, compared with usual care, cardiac rehabilitation reduces illness and death by about one-fourth over one to two years. However, an estimated 70 percent to 80 percent of eligible patients being treated for cardiac disease in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom do not receive cardiac rehabilitation after being discharged from the hospital. "

wow a 25% difference is nothing to be ignored

Thanks for the links, Larry. They will be a good incentive for me to recover sufficiently to be a good candidate for rehab. Pat

I have my stress test next week, and if that is good, then start my cardiac rehab asap. I am about a month post op AVR and Aortic root replacement... Wish me luck LOL

I think the findings of that study should generally tend to apply to us "valvers", too, though it sounds as if we weren't actually included in the study population -- which was filled with all those OTHER folks who show up for the cardiac rehab sessions!

I've discussed rehab with my cardio - even as we were planning for my March 1 surgery. He has already said that when he feels that I am ready he will happily write the orders for me to enroll in their rehab program. I'm actually looking forward to it, as they will know how hard to push me (if I'm a wimp by then) or how hard to hold me back (if I'm trying too much, too soon). Also, since I've suspended my fitness center membership for a couple of months, that will serve in its place. So far, cardio thinks that by 4 weeks post op, he will know if I'm ready to start rehab. I could use it now, so I'm sure I'll need it by then.

In both instances, the studies that were being referred to were entirely made up of CABG patients, not valve patients. The two cohorts may intersect, but they are very much not the same groups of patients.

You will find similar statements regarding the taking of cholesterol medications after OHS. But when the two groups (valvers and CABGs) are separated by cause of surgery, the numbers no longer hold up at all. (Likely, those that have both procedures would benefit from the rehab.)

That's not to say that exercise isn't a good thing, or that cardiac rehab doesn't benefit people: but you cannot say that it benefits valve replacement patients from the studies referred to in these articles.

Best wishes,

I wish I had done re hab. My Dr. wanted me to be walking 2 miles by 2 weeks but it was January and I felt like crap.. I could have used a push...

Latest posts

Back