New member ....and INR management question.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTT_AVR

Hi All

I'm new member Valvereplacement.org but have been reading it since getting home from my AVR on June 13 2014 in Perth Australia.

My history is that I was diagnosed (much to my frustration as a teenager with sporting aspirations) with a congenital bicuspid aortic valve when I was 14. At that time I was out on antibiotic prophylaxis daily and yearly echos. With a change of doctor came the new advice that prophylaxis was not required and apart from the yearly echos I got on with life. That includes an active lifestyle, but with the thought in the back of my mind...how much is this inefficient valve holding me back? Having no symptoms the answer was not at all.

In 2011 I developed some chest pain, upon exertion, but put it down to cold weather, as it was not consistent in appearance. Eventually I went to my GP who sent me for a chest x ray and stress ECG. The x ray was fine, but much to my shock the stress ECG was positive for CAD. An angiogram followed to confirm a 90% blockage in one spot of the LAD. Unfortunately they did not proceed with fixing it and I waited about 6 months to get it stented. During that time my fitness deteriorated rapidly. Finally I got the angioplasty and made a swift recovery after that.

Active life retuned to normal, until late 2013, when I had a high heart rate in a mountain bike race, and didn't feel well. I had some more mild symptoms and returned to my cardiologist. He suspected the valve was starting to deteriorate, (I had many before that warn me surgery was likely for the future) but ruled out further CAD with another angiogram. Some more echos showed a mild deterioration of the valve so it was now on the verge of becoming serious.

Being largely asymtomatic I resisted the advice to get it sorted out for some months, during which I agreed to cut back the intensity of my exercise. Eventually I found this too frustrating and asked for a surgical referral. Both my cardiologist and surgeon recommended a mechanical valve due to my age (41) and active lifestyle. They also promoted the benefits of a valve that "would last longer than me".
I was concerned about being on warfarin with my active lifestyle, but they gave me examples of people who were self managing.

On 13 June I had a St Jude bileaflet 25mm mecanical valve fitted. I found the OHS physically difficult and painful, but probably more than that emotionally challenging and for that reason alone I am happy with my choice of a mechanical valve to lessen the chance of another OHS. Apart from a surficial (but still very concerning at the time to me) infection of my incision, my recovery has been OK. Fatigue has been the main challenge. I walked from day 3, and by 4 weeks could do a half hour walk at brisk pace. At a month the surgeon and cardiologist told me to "go get fit" but be sensible. I have returned to doing RPM/Spin classes at my gym and returned to my office based job. I have a stress ECG and echo scheduled for next week (requested by me for peace of mind) and I am very much looking forward to getting back on a real bicycle after the 3 month mark. Apart from sneezing, life has largely returned to normal......that is apart from one thing, INR.

My INR was in range and stable while at home and doing mild exercise, but since returning to work and vigorous exercise the INR has dropped. The lab which is managing the dose responds by giving me a large dose for one day and then returning to my normal dose. The result is a spike up over about 4 days, but then it crashes back down again....with the same response from them. I am now in a cycle of spikes and lows and don't feel too happy about it. My profession is in science, data management and statistics, and my impression is that the lab is just responding to the last test result and not the overall pattern and influencing factors.

It seems I am in the same situation as slipkid was in this post...."Coumadin dosages - spread out increases or do all in one day?" (sorry I don't know how to link posts yet)

I also have been given an INRatio2 which I initially struggled with, but am now getting some confidence with to use in parallel with lab testing.

I have tried to read as much as possible on this forum about INR levels from this site. Eventually I would like to go to self management and my GP supports this.

The posts from pellicle and Protimenow have been invaluable in proving me with information on INR/home testing/self management. To both of you and all the others on this site thank you so much for taking the time to share your information thoughts and stories - it has made an enormous difference to me.

I don't want a fight with my lab, but feel I could probably manage it better myself.

For those of you who were lab managed, but are now self managed is there any value in staying self managed initially, or put another way when did you find it was best to go solo, and were there any negatives to doing that.

Ian

Ian, I live in Queensland, drop me a pm and I can call you on the mobile if that's any good to you , may be easier than typing oodles here (especially with how this software now sucks)

Just tried to pm, browser just sat there for minutes. This site software sucks Hank, can we roll back to something which works?

Hi VTT, if your GP supports the home monitor use it. I had problems with my GP accepting the use of a home monitor, but finally that has been cleared up.
As for being "lab" managed; where I live (Canada) the lab would forward the results to my doctor then my doctor would call me with the results and make adjustments if need be.
It got to a point that I was getting tried of going to the lab every two weeks. Although the lab isn't far from my home, I still had to plan on almost 2 hours to get lab work done and when your working that can be tough to do.

After two years of going to the lab and with the support from this forum I received my monitor from my cardiologist. I continued to test every two weeks for the next year comparing the results from the lab and the monitor, the average in my INR difference was .2

Simply put, instead of wasting two hours I can now get my own results within minutes and carry on with my day. If adjustments need to be done I follow this on-line calculator:
http://www.pace-med-apps.com/CoumCalc.htm
it hasn't failed me yet.
Oh, I still go to the lab once a month to keep my GP happy.
BTW, welcome to the forum

Hi VTT_AVR and welcome. It would be helpful if you posted your dosage and INR readings since you are very new to warfarin. I agree that large dosage changes are normally unwarranted and only create a yo-yo. I recently home tested weekly and went to my doc's INR lab monthly until he became comfortable that I knew how to do it.....even tho I have taken warfarin most of my life. I now home test only and phone my result to his office for his record. Since your GP is comfortable with self-testing, why not transfer to him for INR management. It is not rocket science as you probably have found.

VTT_AVR;n846239 said:
Attempted to PM you back....not sure if it went through....

nope, it hasn't ... if Hanks ambition has been to drive down participation on this site (thus reducing administration as was his stated goal) he's on the right track. Please email me using my username at hotmail dot com

I'm glad that I can help, and I'm glad that you've got a meter. OTOH -- I'm a bit concerned that your meter is an InRatio 2 because there seems to be a problem getting strips for it. The few that I've seen recently are tremendously expensive.

It sounds as if the people managing your dosing are clueless. You will probably be much better off managing it yourself.

In regards to your question about when I decided to self-test and self-manage -- once I realized that meters were available, I became interested. At first, these were (for me, at least) prohibitively expensive. Fortunately, that situation eventually changed, and I started self-testing in April 2009. Self-testing and self-management went smoothly for me -- although I had problems with my InRatio -- a 2.6 on my meter was a 1.7 at the hospital (which is where I went when I had a TIA). Personally, I don't trust the InRatio -- at least, not with MY life.

I go to the hospital once a month for a blood draw, primarily to let the anticoagulation clinic feel like it's doing me some good, and to get my warfarin prescriptions rewritten, and to compare to my meters.

One thing that I strongly recommend is to track each test -- date, time, INR & Prothrombin time (if your meter reports both), dose, and any other factors that may be somewhat relevant. This gives you a running record of your anticoagulation history, and can also be used to persuade any new doctors that you know what you're doing.

It's good to have you on this forum.

Thank you all for the information.

I am still digesting a lot of it!

I can still buy Inratio2 strips in Australia for ~ A$6.60 per strip, I am not sure if that is expensive or not?

I have started a spreadsheet of home and lab tests and like many before me here I have done quite a few tests, duplicates, and lab comparisons to try and get some understanding of the precision/accuracy of the Inratio2 as compared to the lab tests I get.

At some point in the future I hope to share those and any observations from my personal experience.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back