New Leaks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy41

On my 6 month post op they did an echo and found that my mitral and tricuspid valves are leaking. I originally tore my aortic valve out last year and they say I should have died. Luckily from the time they found it I had a new valve in 3 days. My cardioligist said the new leaks are not bad and may have been there all along, he says to keep living life like I want to.

I have run two 5ks this year and work out with weights and cardio atleast 4 times a week. I guess since I found out about the new leaks I'm a little scared. When you get told by a cardiologist and 2 surgeons you should have died and then find out there are more leaks, it's a little unnerving. Glad I found this site because I now know my conditions are not unique. Should I keep going or pull the reins in ? Second opinion warranted ? I love living life to the fullest, but don't want to die doing it.

It's not unusual for the other valves to leak a little. I'm sure they'll monitor you diligently.
As far as our activity - rely on what your doctors tell you you can do.

I can't help with your question, but wanted to say hello to a fellow member from this area. I believe you'll be pleased with the support you get here.

Welcome to the boards! I don't think your doctors would have told you to go ahead with your life if they were concerned that this was fatal or even bad. If you doubt what they told you then put your mind at rest by getting a second opinion! I think you will be just fine...!!!

Mileena

How did you tear your valve out?
I agree with the others the doctors would have told you if the leak was a problem. Many people (including people with no heart problems) have small amount of leakage. Did they tell you how much, trival, mild ect?

Thanks, I was very happy when I found it. My surgery happened so quickly I've had to get all the facts post-op. Everyone here seems to be so helpful and concerned.

Not sure exactly how valve tore out. Had a fifteen foot fall that could have done it and at the same time was training VERY hard on cardio and had my heart rate over 180 for just over and hour. Got to where I was out of breath constantly and could not stop sweating. Went to local hospital emergency room twice and they said I was fine. I knew I was not fine and went to my family doctor, sent me to cardioligist same day, had echo done and sent to hospital for heart cath and met surgeon that day. Jewish Hospital in Louisville was AWESOME for me. I've read stories about bad care on here, luckliy I received the total opposite.

Dear Jummy41,
I had no idea that an aortic valve could be torn out! You must have really had a bad time. All of my valves leak or regurgitate. I have also had the aortic valve replaced. I get an echo test to make sure they are doing OK. My cardiologist does not seemed concerned.

I have a mitral leak, too, but they say they'll monitor it and nothing else. So I trust them, what else can you do?

I say keep living. Don't limit yourself in fear of something you've been told won't happen — otherwise, what's the point of having a heart at all?

Amazing to hear your story (I've wanted to tear my aorta out many a time!), and glad you're here.

I am also a native Kentuckian. Born in Louisville and lived there half of my life.
And I am also going thru some similar problems as you..a moderately leaking
tricuspid valve at 16 months post op. My cardio has told me not to change my exercise regimen or daily activities. He has put me back on the beta-blockers to hopefully prevent any arrhythmias, as I am prone to SVT's,and he wants to monitor me via echo every 3 months to make sure it is not worsening... since with me, the valve that is leaking is the valve that has been replaced.I am not sure this is the case with you.
Wishing you the best - Dina

Latest posts

Back