New for Alberta Canada

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug,

I wouldn't worry too much about the wait time, even 3 months will go by rather quickly. You might want to get the Christmas shopping done before hand. Last year I left some of it for later, which was a mistake.

My wait in NS last year at about this time was about 5.5 weeks including a bump. In one sense it was fast in another, not knowing for sure when, made it seem a bit longer. But basically the operation happened in about the time frame the cardiologist laid out for me.

Looking at the wait time link Greg posted, I'd say 6.5 to 8 weeks is the expected wait for you. There's probably not too many health systems that would get you in much faster anyway.

Fundy,

I have also looked at the link Greg had found, and I am hoping that it's spot on, because it is 6 weeks this friday, from the day the cardiologist submitted my request on "Navigator" the system they use here in Alberta, I recieved this info from his secratary this morning. I will be seeing my GP tomorrow, and see if he can inquire anymore info. I have a feeling its real close now.

I was wondering how long you and others had to stay away from driving and work, Im sure it is diferent for every persons recovery tho. But I have heard a 30 day driving rule, not sure if its true.

30 day driving rule? I don't think so.

Some say it's safe to drive after 4 weeks, most believe after 6 weeks because it takes that long for the sternum to heal.

I drove at 4 weeks due to a small family emergency and even then it was a challenge but doable. I found it difficult to shoulder check and every little bump in the road was felt. A towel or a pillow was needed in between the seat-belt and my chest to stop the rubbing.

Also, your car insurance may not cover you if you're involved in an accident if you haven't been 'cleared' from your doctor.

One more thing to keep in mind, when your discharged from the hospital after surgery, you will (should) be the passenger in the back seat due to the possibility of the air-bags going off.

As for work and only speaking for myself, I was back to work about 4 weeks and doing very light duty stuff.

P.S.
This is a new topic, you may want to start a new thread Doug.

Last edited:
Wow. Driving. Hadn't even thought that far through this, yet...

I live in the country, and drive 50 km each way just to get to work, and drive from there to our other sites, up to 2000 km per month, when I'm busy. This is another example of 'unanticipated experiences' I need to think about.

Thanks for all the information, guys ... the more I keep reading, the more complete the picture gets, and that is helping me deal with all of this. You know how, when you're up REALLY close to the comics, all you see is coloured dots, but when you back off, the little dots start to form pictures? That's how this feels... as I read through the various discussions and do the research needed to make sense of them, you guys keep adding little dots to my schema, and the picture gets more and more clear.

Strange as is sounds, this place is helping me gain perspective on this whole OHS thing. If I knew then what I know now, I would have saved myself a lot of sleepless moments.

Hi Oilman,...............

Oilman, I was a test case at my hospital, for a Calgary originated procedure of closing the sternum with Kryptonite glue. My recovery from the surgery at 56, was uneventful and very quick, with very little discomfort from the surgery, virtually no pain meds 4 days post op and into a good walking regimen in week 2.

You may want to inquire to your surgeon about this procedure, I for one am very glad that my surgeon agreed to make me a test case for the glue, am convinced it it worked well for me with no side effects.

Good luck with the scheduling of your surgery, in so many ways the wait is actually the most difficult time for many of us.

Regards,

Gil

This Glue was developed and tested at Foothills Hoaspital and meant faster and more complete recovery and I THINK it had a shorter "no drive" time and so information should be readily available to your team

Last edited:
Greg,

You are right about looking into this way of sealing the sternum with Kryptonite like Luckeyguy17 had done in Montreal. Hopefully this will be an option that I can choose. If it comes with an earlier driving time that would be great tool, personal conditions of course will factor in on that too. I do drive a lot from home to my well site, about 2.5 hrs each day, hwy mostly and approximately 5000km per month. It is imperative that I am able to drive well before returning to work. One day at a time in recovery tho.

I had the same anxiety leading up to my surgery, always thinking about when...then one day I came Home from the gym, and had a phone call to get to the general by 3:00 to have surgery the next morning.. I had no time to think really , it was a blessing that it happened so quickly..at that point I just left it to the professionals, they know what their doing, they do it everyday...I really felt good that I was going to finally be fixed and feel better..I was strangely excited ..now i feel great, life's good..I hardly notice my mechanical valve, I find this site amazing I've learned so much...

Babshappy,

It sure would be better if I didn't have the Afib to deal with at times. This has taken me from work, and that would have kept my mind occupied for this time leading up too, worst case this could be a 4 month wait, but well worth it I'm thinking.I see you had yours done in the Van General, I was born in that hospital, lived in the city till I was 18, love that city. This Alberta gets a little too cold at times. How long have you been out of surgury now?

Miles,

Really nice to here from you being so close to home. Did you have yours done in Edmonton. I see you work construction so that would not be a easy job to bounce back to post surgery. I bet being 13 years ago its probably is just a faint memory by now,as some on here say. At present I'm not feeling to bad, but in the last few days really noticing a lot of arrhythmia which I can't stand. I'm thinking I should contact the RD cardiologist so he can holster monitor, but I did remember he mentioned that we will change valve first. I was a little down due to being so symptomatic before surgery, but that's what has brought me to here I guess, my one good run of AFIB in Sept. looking forward to getting on with it thou. I've never had so much idle time on my hands, the wait is a killer. Was your recovering in the winter also, or were you lucky with good outdoor conditions. Also wondering if you did cardio rehab here in RD and for how long.

Doug

My surgery was in Calgary, Dr. A. Maitland, in May. I saw a cardiologist only twice before the operation. Dr Cooper here in town handled my recovery, mostly on my own though. I was off work for about 8 weeks then it was business as usual after that, albiet, a little slower at first. I still go to see the cardiac surgeon every other year in Calgary and of course do the inr test every month or so. I never had significant Afib although I did participate in a double blind study for amniodorone(sp?) at the time of the surgery.

Just tossing another post from a fellow prairie dweller in here. I had no wait at all to contend with, as I was admitted to ICU with what was thought to be an overwhelming pneumonia, ended up intubated and sinking fast, before someone did an echo and realized what the true problem was. A few hours later I had a new mitral valve and a zipper in my chest. I remember nothing of the 24 hours before surgery, so I missed all the fear and anxiety. My family did not, however; it was a very rough time for them. I am currently 4 weeks post-op with a mechanical valve. My INR has stabilized quickly on a pretty low dose of warfarin, so I am very optimistic that anticoagulation therapy is not going to be a terrible burden, and I am very happy that my odds of further OHS are greatly reduced. I didn't get a choice of valves, but I am happy with what they chose for me.

As for our health care system, it is true that people often wait for elective procedures, but my family's experience has invariably been that when you need the really important stuff, the system comes through big time. We are lucky; I had many incredibly stressful things happening in my life when my heart decided to go awol; I can only imagine what it would have been like if I'd been worrying about paying for all the incredible and intensive care I've received as well. Hang in there! Surgery is on the horizon, recovery is a long haul but more frustrating than painful, and I'm told the end result is worth the trip (I'll let you know when I get there lol). Good luck and keep us posted.

Gerry

Hey Gerry,

Thanks for sharing your story and I'm glad things are coming around for you in recovery. Although you missed the fear and anxiety, your ordeal must have been twice as scary for your family. I am sure glad we in the 20th century have the use of great medicine and medical personal to be able to walk through these traumatic events. Keep up with rehab and stay warm as its going to be frozen ice outside soon. Take care of yourself buddy.

Doug

Yeah, Doug, I think it was pretty rough for the family all right, but fortunately everything is on the upswing now. Thanks for the good wishes and encouragement! I'm only a few weeks ahead of you, and if my experience is anything to go by, you're going to do great too. Your surgery is in a week, correct? Just want to wish you all the best with your procedure and recovery. These guys really know what they're doing, and I know you'll do well. Thumbs up!

Latest posts

Back