New Federal Guide over the top

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except for the "Stay Safe While Taking Coumadin®/Warfarin" section, it's pretty much correct. These old myths are never going to die if this crap is perpetuated all the time by folks like this. :(

They could have mentioned Home testing also. Not a word about it in there.

Yeap, if you want to know about Coumadin, ask someone who's taking it, not someone who doesn't.

Indoors:

* Be very careful using knives and scissors. As if everyone else can be reckless.
* Use an electric razor. But be careful you don't stab yourself with the prongs or accidentally cut yourself when emptying the shavings.
* Use a soft toothbrush. All dentists tell people to use soft toothbrushes
* Use waxed dental floss. Not sure how waxed is any safer than unwaxed.
* Do not use toothpicks. Or chainsaws indoors:)
* Wear shoes or non-skid slippers in the house. And always wear gloves that grip when swinging from the chandlier.
* Take care trimming your toenails. But why not your fingernails?
* Do not trim corns or calluses yourself. And be sure Home Appendectomies are supervised

Outdoors:

* Always wear shoes. Forget it - it's summer - I go shoeless and have the calluses I file to prove it.
* Be very careful with sharp tools; wear gloves when using them. But don't put the sharp tools inside the gloves
* Avoid activities and sports that can easily hurt you. When participating in a greased pig contest - wear knee pads, gloves and a helmet
* Wear gardening gloves when doing yard work. Any rose thorn is just waiting to kill you, pricking you and the blood pouring out of your body sinking into it's roots producing lovely blossoms.
* Stay active. But be sure to wear a suit of armour.

What a random list of crap. I'd like to see what Mensa members came up with this short list.

But of course - these are the "experts", probably including physicians. So they know more than we do.

The rest of the information isn't bad.

Now I'm going out in my yard to cut down an old bridal veil bush with my chainsaw. But I'll be sure to wear gloves.

Maybe a Kevlar vest would be a good for the Chimp:D…….those pesky bullets….though it would need to cover my butt:eek:…..that’s what is the most exposed when jumping out of windows…..:p:p

please contact Carla Huber, Nurse Coordinator of the Cedar
Rapids Community Anticoagulation Clinic by telephone at (319) 558-4045 or by email at
chuber@pcofi owa.com.

Karlynn, you beat me to it and your side notes are hilarious. The first one reminds me of when my mom tells me to "Drive safe." Yes, still, even though I'm 46! I have often replied, "No." Other times I say, "Well, I was planning on driving 120 mph backward down the freeway while swerving in and out of traffic, but now you've ruined my fun."

Sure, people who don't take Coumadin can cut off their fingers and gash themselves and it's no problem.

Thick and Thin and Close Shaves

Thick and Thin and Close Shaves

They lose me when they start out using the words "thick" and "thin" when referring to blood. It's just so informal to not seem authentic medical advice.

Electric shavers, avoid toothpicks, and waxed dental floss are a little much. We are much more at risk of gum disease (and endocarditis) if we don't pick and floss than if we use the wrong stuff. Toothpicks are easier to use than floss at 70 MPH (and easier to dispose of :D). Do they make waxed toothpicks that don't have a sharp point at the end? :rolleyes:

To me, the key perspective is "convenience". If I nick myself shaving, doing yard work, or cutting the carrots, I'm not going to die because I'm on Coumadin. But I might bleed a little longer, and have a larger, longer-lasting scab.

On the other hand, if someone gets a deep vein-slicing cut, they are no more likely to live because they are not on Coumadin.

The biggest dangers are an internal wound that might not get noticed in time, or a serious knock to the head that can't be treated immediately.

I bought an electric shaver right out of surgery ('cause I was told I had to - right before I was told not to eat leafy greens). After 7 1/2 years, the battery won't take a charge. I still have it, but use a blade about 1/2 the time. Nicks are an inconvenience, but oh what a closer shave!:)

Electric shavers, avoid toothpicks, and waxed dental floss are a little much. We are much more at risk of gum disease (and endocarditis) if we don't pick and floss than if we use the wrong stuff. Toothpicks are easier to use than floss at 70 MPH (and easier to dispose of :D). Do they make waxed toothpicks that don't have a sharp point at the end? :rolleyes:

Tom, there are some fantastic, dentist recommended toothpicks that are gentle and 100 times more effective than the regular splinter of wood type. They are called "StimUdents", sold in the pharmacy in small pocket packets. They are well worth the extra cost.

Latest posts

Back