Never ending coughing, when will it stop?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My DH is now 4 weeks post op and is able to walk nearly a mile a day but he has a dry cough since before the surgery and it has worsened in the last couple of weeks. Now he starts to gag and get dry heaves. It makes talking and breathing deeply difficult because that sets off another coughing fit. He's not on ace inhibitors but has been on beta blockers before and since the OHS. He also has no appetite and continues to lose wt (and had none to lose to begin with). He does the spirometer religiously though it always makes him cough. Please help!

Since both the Beta blocker and cough started before surgery, did you ask his doctors about that? I imagine coughing to the point of dry heaves, probably isnt helping with the appetite problems either. If you havent asked about the beta blockers and cough I would, it couldnt hurt to ask and if he still needs the beta blocker maybe they could try another one and see if that helps with the coughing

Please let a newby chime in here. I am now 5 weeks post op for AVR. I had so much fluid before the surgery it was pitiful. I coughed almost non stop. A few days afterwards I noticed a big improvement, but it is still present to some degree. I was wondering if it was common to still have some coughing, and am glad to note that I'm not alone here.
I too use Vicks salve around my nose before going to sleep each night. I had been doing this before the surgery and it does help. The only other meds I am on are Lasix prn and Diovan daily.

Latest posts

Back