Need quick advice on valve selection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Motox-z

I met with the surgeon today and he has given me the option of bovine or a mechanical valve. Shocked to see with my age of 37 that bovine might only last 5 years. However, with my active lifestyle of high impact sports I am leaning towards bovine. I have read the posts and done my research, I always thought that bovine would last more than 5 years. Would like to hear about personal experience from people in their late 30s-40s to advise on mechanical or bovine.
Initial recommendation from surgeon was mechanical. I will be having both AAA and AVR on Friday. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.

I can only speak to what my surgeon told me with regard to bovine Mitral Valve. He anticipates it should last me at least 15 years but I am older than you and tissue valves last longer in folks over 55 I think.

It is very hard making these choices. Good luck.

Best wishes to you as you study your options and make your decision and make peace with your decision. You may benefit from reading a "sticky" thread, a compilation of information at the top of the Valve Selection forum, written by a member here, Tobagotwo, for an overall consideration of your options.

Hoping all goes well for your surgery. Take care :) .

The On-X Mechanical Valves are undergoing an FDA approved study to evaluate their performance with LOW and NO Anti-Coagulation in Mild and Low Risk Patients respectively. See www.onxvalves.com and www.heartvalvechoice.com for more information.

Even though those studies will not be completed until 2015, the On-X Valve has several technological improvements over earlier mechanical valves which result in a Lower Probability of Clot Formation (due to less turbulence and harder / smoother surfaces), less chance of damage to blood cells (due to improved pivot design), and less chance of Pannus Tissue Growth interference (due to a built-in Barrier to Pannus Tissue Growth).

Contact the company for further details and information.
Note that over 50,000 On-X valves have been implanted
worldwide since their introduction in 1996.

'AL Capshaw'

Best wishes in your decision. 5 years for a Bovine at age 37 seems like he may be giving you a conservative estimate, just in case. But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Hi--I have a porcine mitral valve--my second. My first one lasted 10 years(age 34-44) and I got this one 7 mos ago. The surgeon said that the newer ones are better and I should get 15 years out of it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

If any consulation i have an arotic model 500 carbomedics
going 16 years and keeps on ticking,ive had no problems at
all with this valve and hopefully it lasts me the rest of my lifetime
whatever that may be,if not will have to change it out i sound like
some sort of vehicle part lol,ive got a leaking mitral and dont know
long it will last but 16 years ago the surgeon said if it was real
bad he'd have done the mitral too,but felt it would outlast the mechanical aortic valve so mitral was bad then and mechanicals 16 years already,im thinking if i will need a nother surgery in future its both valves and at 47 years of age not sure which id go with either,but good luck on your decision
and all the best to you.

zipper2

Wishing you the very best of luck with surgery on friday. Goodluck with the choice, sorry i can't be of any help.

Valve selection

Valve selection

I was leaning toward Bovine but the thought of having this surgery again in 15 years or so at the age of 79 or 80 chilled me. At that age any surgery can be the beginning of the end.

So I opted for the mechanical and now after the surgery I know I don't ever what to go through this again and I am happy with the mechanical valve. Yes there is the coumadin deal but I bought my own tester and now its pretty easy. Plus I am likely to have a-fib and then need the coumadin anyway.

But if I were 37 it would be a difficult decision. I would probably go with the Bovine. It's a gamble but having to do it again in your 50's would not be the end of world and who knows what new techniques may be invented by then.

Good luck.

Dude, ask about the on-x valve

Dude, ask about the on-x valve

you might not even need coumadin if the trials prove successful. and at your age, you want something that won't ever need to be replaced. check into it.
i have one. and taking a pill once a day is no biggie.

feel free to send me a message if you have questions.

temple:D

Hi! I got a bovine valve at Cleveland Clinic at the age of 38 and was told to expect 10 - 12 years out of it (could be a few more or less, but that's the average at our age). Based on my reading, I'm confident that's a more accurate estimate to base your decision on than 5 years. That said, there are many other issues that play into the decision, and mechanical may still be the best choice for you. Read through the sticky threads under valve choices to make sure you have all the information you need. Best of luck! Kate

Unless you want to give up the impact sports you have no choice but to go with the Bovine but of course you will be looking at a redo somewhere down the road. I had my first valve replacement at 39 (a homograft) and just recently (1/2/08) had that replaced with a mechanical, I am glad that I had the 9+ years where I didn't need to worry about the risks associated with anti-coagulation therapy.

Nick

Please check out the active life style forums. There are many anti-coagulated people that still lead active lives. You are at the age where this decision is really difficult. We have a friend your age that went tissue because he is an off-road racer. His is only a couple of years old so that can't answer your longevity question. On the other hand, my son will race in an off-road car while anti-coagulated.
Whatever choice you make will be right for you. good luck!

I went for a tissue (homograft) valve in 2001, so I could continue contact sport. My valve lasted close to 7 years, replaced with mechanical 3 months ago. Never regretted it for a second.

I was tempted to go tissue 2nd time around, but the risks associated with a 3rd surgery, determined that I go mechanical - (though no gurantees on longetivity).

Good Luck with your decision :)

Ps. Although I had to give up my particular sport, I have been playing 7 aside Soccer since my surgery with no problems at all. That said, it isn't usually too physically robust.

Ditto...

Ditto...

If you were only given mechanical or bovine options, I'd consult another surgeon. I'm 33 years old and just had the Ross procedure 4 weeks ago. You might research that. There are two surgeons that have done alot of these procedures that are willing to talk to you about them...Dr. Stelzer in NY and Dr. Ryan in TX. Dr. Ryan did my surgery and he was great.

Good luck with your choice.

Im in the same boat you were in

Im in the same boat you were in

Im 42 yrs old, active lifestyle and am now a mere two weeks post-op. I chose the mechanical because Im hoping this valve will last me a lifetime (40 - 50 years). I got the On-X valve put in so Im optimistic that some of trials that are ongoing will produce a result that I don't have to take Coumadin the rest of my life but I see that as a small price to pay. My biggest concern was re-operation. Not once but maybe two or three times. Re-operations are inherently riskier because of scar tissue and as you get older its more stress on the body. Im willing to accept some limitations on what I can and cannot do in the future. Im an avid skier and am not sure if that is something I will be willing to risk again. One thing I can say for sure is that I REALLY don't want to go through that procedure again. Of course I will if I have to and I'm confident I can do it again but its no walk in the park. Im two weeks post-op and am moving around pretty well but I know its going to be at least another 2 1/2 to 3 months before I can start doing things like swinging a golf club, walking a 120lb dog. What I lothed the most was the 6 days in the hospital post-op, I really felt like a lab rat with all the tubes and constant blood draws and such. Its tolerable and now that I know what its like I can say its something most can cope with, but like I said, I'd much rather do this one time and take my chances. Send me a private post if you want more info on the On-X or any questions in general. Good luck and I know at your age you should do very well in tolerating the surgery and the recovery.

Latest posts

Back