Need help with dosage, please.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbyn

I will go for months and do this Warfarin dosing then bang. When I make a mistake it a bad one.

I went away for a couple of days and forgot to bring my pills with me. I take 6 mgs/day.
Didn't take any Thursday or Friday. Saturday I took an extra 5 mgs. Could anyone advise me what to take today.
Thanks so much.

Relax, just go back to on taking your regular 6mg/day and get your INR done on Thursday or Friday, everything should be even out by then.

In agree with Freddie,
It is no big deal
Just go back on your dose.

Your body will bring everything into balance faster that way, a few days isn't a terror issue.

In had surgery a while ago and was just without warfarin for two or three days. They just put me back on my dose and away I went...

Are you home testing for INR at all?

According to a protocol or two, the way to manage INRs below 2.0 is to increase dosing by 1/2 for a few days---but, according to research, you should be safe from any clotting problems if your INR is below 2 for a week or so. If you only missed doses for two days, your INR may not have dropped below 2, and you certainly wouldn't have had that low INR for a WEEK if you missed dosing for two DAYS.

Taking that extra 5 mg dose may have spiked your INR for a day or two -- I'm with the others - go back to your usual dose and don't worry much about it. I'm also with Pellicle regarding home testing.

Personally, I strongly believe that everyone on warfarin - and especially the valvers - should test every week (10 days maximum). When you test less frequently, you know your INR at the instant that you run your monthly test, but you don't really know what it is on those weeks between tests. Testing with a meter is easy, and relatively inexpensive (especially now that meters and supplies have dropped from what they were a decade or two ago), and great insurance against strokes or bleeding. I just DO NOT understand the logic that medical professionals seem to want to apply to INR testing that makes it 'reasonable' to go for long periods between tests.

Latest posts

Back