Need dosage help

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbyn

My INR is 4.7 and should be 3.0-3.5. Could someone please advise me what take today and tomorrow. I take 7 mgs daily.

Also another question. I have been taking Tylenol 3's, as I broke my arm. I thought acetaminophen was okay with warfarin. I have taken Tylenol 2's with no affect on my INR. Although because of the pain I have taken them for almost a week.

Thank you for any help you may have.

The guide I use says to hold one dose OR reduce weekly dose by 10-15% for INR under 5 and recheck in one week. I can't help with the Tylenol question as I don't know what Tylelnol 2 or 3 are. I have been taking two 500mg tabs of Regular Tylenol nightly for several years with no problem with INR.

Like Dick has mentioned and according to the online dosage web site (http://www.pace-med-apps.com/CoumCalc.htm): decrease dosage 10% check INR in 4 to 8 days.
New dosage is according the web site:
Day 1: 6mg, Day 2: 6mg Day 3: 6mg, Day 4: 7mg, Day 5: 6mg, Day 6: 7mg, Day 7: 6mg

Don't panic, eat a few more greens and your results should be back in range.

Just curious, you mentioned your range is 3.0 to 3.5, that is an very narrow range. I too have had my mitral valve replaced with the range of 2.5 to 3.5 with my GP and cardio are both fine if I go above 3.5. There is no panic if I tell them my INR is 4.1. Did your surgeon, cardio or GP mentioned this range that you currently on?

Hi

...Could someone please advise me what take today and tomorrow. I take 7 mgs daily.

Also another question. I have been taking Tylenol 3's, as I broke my arm. I thought acetaminophen was okay with warfarin. I have taken Tylenol 2's with no affect on my INR.

there is a known reaction which will cause it to raise:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17145598

RESULTS:
Mean INR rose rapidly after the start of paracetamol and was significantly increased within one week of paracetamol intake

I agree with the others here, make a minimal adjustment, but perhaps just leave it as is (if its been stable that's good) and eat some broccoli and a heap of spinach. If its a temporary high then the intake of Vit K will bring it down naturally and it will probably resume as it was.

If you make any change, then make any change small.

Best Wishes

Im new to all this seen as I only had my aortic valve replacement 12 days ago. I had been getting 3mg a day in hospital. When I left hospital two days ago my inr was 3.4 so doctor told me not to take any warfarin that day and only 1mg the next. I thought this was excessively low amount? Getting blood tested in a few hours but Im a bit worried I might be too low.

Hi Patsman

glad to hear you're ok

When I left hospital two days ago my inr was 3.4

seems good ...

so doctor told me not to take any warfarin that day and only 1mg the next.

:thumbd:

I thought this was excessively low amount?

with you on that one!

Getting blood tested in a few hours but Im a bit worried I might be too low.

well, even if it goes down to (say) 1.8 its not going to cause any harm for a short duration (like a few days sorta thing).

Hopefully your INR managers will get you on the slightly wiggly and hopefully narrow path ;-)

Anyway, have someone bring you a half pint of Guinnes and have a relax during your recovery.

Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back