Need advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you have a wonderful support team. I can not add anything to what has already been said but wanted to welcome you and to thank you for your service to our country.
Earline

John are you my twin brother? If you keep going and add a greenfield filter and a few hernia plugs to your list of installations, you just might be. ;)

Hi I am John. John

hi john. if you eventually have to stay within the v.a. system, check out
the cardio department at the v.a. in albuquerque. the few times i went
there, they were pretty professional. dr. bass seems to know his stuff.

Ross
Thanks for the post. I am going through some other tests hope nothing else shows up I have my plate full now. I did well the first 59 years but seems everything is falling apart now. Hope I can get all the pieces put back together and enjoy a few years of retirement. I am wondering how I am going to walk on crutches (hip that needs replacing) with my chest split. Guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. I am still thinking about tissue vs mechenical. What have they told you about major surgery and being on blood thinners? I am thinking about the hip and mabe even another one later. One is gone now and the other is not much better.
Chou
I am only using the VA because I discovered the cardiologist they use in St Louis is on the cardiac surgery team at BJH. If I don't get the right person I will pay the deducts and use my Tri Care.

John,
Welcome to the boards. I just had my valve replaced and I too had the root damage and an aneurism and lots more going on. I had what's called the Bentall procedure.

I don't know how far you can travel, but the Texas Medical Center in Houston is top notch and they just gave me a new lease on life.

John, One of the members that recently had surgery had polio as a child and uses crutches to walk. She made sure to work it out in advance that she would have extra PT and rehab ect and did well. I'm sure when you are getting ready, she could offer advice.

Lynn
Thanks that is something I was wondering about.

Lil
Thanks for relating your experience. At this point travel is not a problem. I recently drove 600 miles to FL and back. St louis appears to have a good team. From my reasearch much of the valve and root repair along with the cooling process in OHS was developed there by a world class surgeon. If I am not happy with what I find there I believe I will go to CC they are suposed to be the best. I am glad you have a new lease on life hope I can have the same. God Bless. John

If you are asymtomatic, I would have echo's every 6 mos. and keep on top of it. Shortness of breath is a big sign that your root (aneurysm) is getting bigger. A dilated aortic root of more than 3.5 is considered an aneurysm. Also, blood thinners is not the correct term...anticoagulant (blood cells are prevented from sticking together) is better. Coumadin can be a real pain. But I was told if at my younger age if I had a porcine or bovine valve put in, i would probably not last even 10 years and that a mechanical valve made more sense in my case. Hope you find your answers.

Latest posts

Back