Neck MRI after aortic valve replacement ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garth51

Hi everyone,I have not posted here for a while,I guess it means that I have been busy with life, since my OHS with aortic valve relacement & dacron graft on the ascending aorta,Feb 16,2006.I have just came back from a appointment with the Spinal Surgeon,I was referred to him because I have a lump on a neck tendon.He has ordered a MRI of my neck.I have a Carbomedics mechanical aortic valve & he checked my valve card to see if my valve is compatable for MRI,the card says it is.After coming home I remembered that my sternum is still wired together with metal wire.Does anyone know if a neck MRI can be done with the wire in the sternum still there??Be well
Best Wishes, Garth 51

Been there, done that.
You may feel the wires 'pull' a bit - I did with my first neck MRI, it was a little uncomfortable but bearable. Ask the technician if he could cover your chest to avoid the pulling feeling.....I'm pretty sure you will feel it to some degree. If I was thinking at the time I would have asked about something to cover my chest.

I've had two MRIs since AVR and they were both fine. The wires didn't bother me and didn't bother the technician. I gave them print outs of info from Edwards Lifesciences about MRI and my valve. There was a pulling or tingling feeling with my wedding ring which the technician said was common with wedding rings ! I have tons of fillings in my teeth incluuding an alloy crown but they were fine and didn't 'tingle', nor did the sternum wires.

Garth, I am due to see my surgeon later today and have the same valve as you. I also am due to have MRI and other test to check a failed fusion from 15 years ago. I will ask him and relay his thoughts to you. We are expecting snow and wind today so the 220 mile trip may be interesting but at least the Dr. is meeting halfway otherwise I would have to travel the normal 480 miles to see him. I had MRI's in the past with a tissue valve and no problems but now with mechanical I'm not sure, however the card I got with the valve states that certain settings on the MRI are safe. As for the sternum wires I do not remember pulling or anything like that, I also have rods and screws in low back and neck, bullet fragments in left leg and a broken knife blade under the left kneecap which is stainless steel that has not pulled out after several MRI's. With todays technology I believe things are relatively safe but I'm not an MD so can only speculate. Thanx, Tank

Thanks everyone for your replies to my MRI Question.With the info you have just given me,I now know that I can safely have the MRI of my neck.This site & the folks on here are great,it's wonderful how we help & support each other!Thanks again & be well
Garth 51

Garth51;n859910 said:
Hi everyone,I have not posted here for a while,I guess it means that I have been busy with life, since my OHS with aortic valve relacement & dacron graft on the ascending aorta,Feb 16,2006.I have just came back from a appointment with the Spinal Surgeon,I was referred to him because I have a lump on a neck tendon.He has ordered a MRI of my neck.I have a Carbomedics mechanical aortic valve & he checked my valve card to see if my valve is compatable for MRI,the card says it is.After coming home I remembered that my sternum is still wired together with metal wire.Does anyone know if a neck MRI can be done with the wire in the sternum still there??Be well
Best Wishes, Garth 51
I think they may be wrong about the MRI. I was ordered an MRI on my neck for a lump in my throat by the ear nose and throat clinic at the V.A. When I went to get the MRI they told me I would have to get a Cat Scan instead. They called Carbomedics help line and they said I couldn't have an MRI. They told me at the V.A. it would heat my heart up since it had a titanium ring (metal). You might want to get a second opinion. Then again, not knowing which valve you have yours might not have the titanium hardening ring. Hope this helps.

Here is something that might also help..
http://www.klinikum.uni-muenchen.de/Herzchirurgische-Klinik-und-Poliklinik/download/de/Sorin.pdf

Latest posts

Back