My surgery is July 28th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAVD John

Well, much has happened since my first post several weeks ago. VR.com has been down for maintence, I've met with two surgeons, had my teeth cleaned and an MRI of my aorta yesterday, an angiogram this morning, and all the other pre op screening earlier this week.

The first surgeon I met with recommended a mechanical valve, when my wife stated to him I was prone to nose bleeding he thought I'd do well with a tissue valve. The second surgeon Dr. McCarthy from Northwestern in Chicago recommended tissue from the beginning and stated that at Northwestern they don't use that many mechanical valves anymore. I understand the risk with both valves and it will be a aortic bovine valve for me, my surgeon will be McCarthy. Northwestern doesn't use pig valves any more.

I met with McCarty on the 20th. When I first asked him how far out I was looking for a surgery date he and his coordinator thought it be about 4 weeks, his coordinator then went to double check the schedule and came back in the room and said how about the 28th. After my wife and I picked both our jaws off the floor I said ok let's get this over with.

I look forward to getting over this surgery as this day has been on my mind for some time now. I was a lurker here off and on for several years before my first post and your words of encouragement to others have helped me deal with my condition.

BAVD John

John,

I am looking forwarded to your post-surgery-in-recovery-mode comments. I promise you will be glad to get the surgery behind you. :)

BAVD John's surgery is Tuesday, July 28

BAVD John's surgery is Tuesday, July 28

John, glad the forum is up and running so we could offer our best wishes for a successful replacement before you head to surgery Tuesday. Your surgeon is one of the very best, at a great facility, so I'm confident that all will go well.
Please update when you can.
God bless and Godspeed!

Colleen,

I will be 54 on August 17th. From what I remember during my discussion with McCarthy a couple of items come to mind. First was the risk of stoke with mechanical, McCarthy stated that it was 1 to 2 percent risk a year so over a 10 year period that comes out to me having a 10 to 20 percent chance of a stroke, at 20 years that risk of stroke is now 20 to 40 percent. I hope I explained that correctly. Secondly he stated just because you have a mechanical valve it doesn't mean that it will not need to be replaced at a later date. One example he gave was because of growth on the mechanical valve that keeps the valve from opening correctly. He stated that he does replace alot of mechanical valves. He also gave me a stat that at age 55 there is a 80% chance that the valve will still be working at 15 years. Now I now I'm a bit younger than 55, and that there is a chance that this valve will not last this long in me. I guess that's the chance I will take and I am comfortable with my decision. Yep there is a chance I will be on comadin, however if all goes well I will go home on a asprin. My brother had his valve replaced 10 years ago at about age 38. He has a mechanical, St Judes, and has had no problem these past 10 years on comadin.

It was interesting to hear McCarthy say that his own choice would be tissue. He also said if you had a group of surgeons in the room and asked them what valve they would recommend for their patients it would be mechanical, however, if you asked the same surgeons which valve they would want for themselves it would be tissue. McCarthy did not give me the exact perecentage of tissue vs mechanical valves that Northwestern is using he just used the word mostly or majority. He also stated the risk to me is about 1% not making it through this, that risk is the same at age 70.

BAVD John

BAVD John's surgery: July 28th, 2009

BAVD John's surgery: July 28th, 2009

John...Wishing you the best possible outcome with a smooth, bump free recovery ..... Godspeed .....:)

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I've got a list of things I want to get done today so this will be my last post until after surgery. My next post will be in the post surgery forum. :)

BAVD John
Surgery at Northwestern Memorial, Chicago
Surgeon, Dr. Patrick McCarthy
Edward Lifsciences Bovine valve

John,
As the proud owner of a bovine tissue valve, I will keep you in my prayers for your surgery tomorrow. I also will be looking forward to your posts after you return home. And no you will not be considered a cannibal if you eat a steak after you are better.:D

John,

Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. I will say a prayer for you.

Laura

Best Wishes John;

I am five months post surgery, running several miles a day (and cycling more!) and have never felt better! Keep in mind what you will gain from this and know that our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Latest posts

Back