My Surgery Had Complications but I'm alive and so happy to be home

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laura - you did have a heck of a time. But your story also shows people that there can be some very serious complication and STILL come out the other side with a life to celebrate and live with joy.

You body has been through the meat grinder, so you take as long as necessary to recover. Like your surgery wasn't "textbook" don't start looking at how long it takes others to recover. It will take as long or as short as it needs to take.

I had such horrible arrhythmia for several years prior to my surgery that it took me a full 2 years to look back and say "Wow - I feel great!" Now coming up on 18 years in October - I DO feel great and life has been precious and wonderful.

Laura, thank you for sharing your terrible experience.

I had never heard the bad times like yours before I had AVR. I had absolutely no fear of valve surgery. Afterward, for the first year or so I would have choose death other than had to went through the same thing. But of course that has all passed and would do it over if necessary.

Wishing you the very best. :)

Laura-We had our surgeries within a few days of one another. I find that there are days where I can't wait to get up and get going. Since it is very hot in Florida, I don't walk outside, but I have found that the big stores (Wal-Mart, Costco, Sam's, etc) are great for getting exercise. I grab a shopping cart for support, and literally run through the aisles.

But then I find, the next day, that I am very, very tired. I ran around on Saturday, and Sunday, I did not even want to get dressed. Today I feel a bit more energized, so I will try to get in some exercise.

I have a trekking pole that I used when I was in the mountains. It doubles as a cane. I don't really need it, but I will take it as my "security blanket", as I do get a bit wobbly at times.

I think that the important thing is to "listen to your body". If it is telling you to rest, rest.

Laura I am sad that you had to go through all this, basically because of a surgeon's mistake.:(:( I am glad that you are home and seem to be doing better. It does take time, lots of time, please don't rush things. I had to have my lungs drained a couple of times too, not fun! But I promise you it does get better. It is so important to walk (slowly) but everyday several times a day, not very far, just walk. Also be sure and use your spirometer, it will help get the fluid off your lungs. I know it hurts to breathe deep but it's important to keep trying. Rest as much as you can too and don't forget to eat, although food may not taste so good right now. I hope you have someone helping you. I remember I couldn't even lift a gallon of milk and the first time I took the clothes out of the washer I thought I was going to die.

Prayers and hugs are coming your way. Hang in there.

Laura I am sad that you had to go through all this, basically because of a surgeon's mistake.:(:( I am glad that you are home and seem to be doing better. It does take time, lots of time, please don't rush things. I had to have my lungs drained a couple of times too, not fun! But I promise you it does get better. It is so important to walk (slowly) but everyday several times a day, not very far, just walk. Also be sure and use your spirometer, it will help get the fluid off your lungs. I know it hurts to breathe deep but it's important to keep trying. Rest as much as you can too and don't forget to eat, although food may not taste so good right now. I hope you have someone helping you. I remember I couldn't even lift a gallon of milk and the first time I took the clothes out of the washer I thought I was going to die.

Prayers and hugs are coming your way. Hang in there.

Glenda, I spiked a 100.6 fever last night and saw my cardiologist today. They did a chest xray and I'm going into the hospital on Wednesday to have my lungs drained again. So depressing but I'm having difficulty walking and breathing and I know I'll get relief after they drain them. My question is - is this congestive heart failure or just a complication from the double surgeries. I feel that if it were that serious, my doctor would have admitted me today. Fever is down and he told me if it goes over 100, go to the ER. I just want to get better! Thanks to all for your encouragement and kind words. This site is a Godsend.

Hi Laura,

I'm so glad you made it through your surgery complications as well and am glad to hear you are home now! Take it easy and take good care of yourself!

Kerri

Glenda, I spiked a 100.6 fever last night and saw my cardiologist today. They did a chest xray and I'm going into the hospital on Wednesday to have my lungs drained again. So depressing but I'm having difficulty walking and breathing and I know I'll get relief after they drain them. My question is - is this congestive heart failure or just a complication from the double surgeries. I feel that if it were that serious, my doctor would have admitted me today. Fever is down and he told me if it goes over 100, go to the ER. I just want to get better! Thanks to all for your encouragement and kind words. This site is a Godsend.

Laura, You are in my prayers, I hope you are ok, I I hope it it just a short term complication. Yes, I am scared to death by what you and others have written, but I was scared to begin with, with less knowledge, but I'd rather be informed than scared stupid. I am having an aneuryem repaired, but if the valve is shot they will do that too. At this point it is in God's hands...again I really hope all is well...Godspeed.
Linda

My question is - is this congestive heart failure or just a complication from the double surgeries.

It's most likely simply inflamation of the lung lining, kind of like pneumonia. If it starts to really hurt to take a breath, head to the ER and get it drained off. For the ordeal you went through, yes it's possible to be a combination of CHF and lung relation, but your so soon out of surgery, that these things can be expected.

Laura:

I'm glad you're with us to be able to post your experience. Most surgeries do go without complications, but then there are those, like yours, that do hit some bumps.
Best wishes for a smoother recovery.

Braveheart:
You're doing pretty good!
It was quite a while before I could navigate through Walmart, Sam's or Costco without using one of their scooters. Your surgery was 1 week later than mine (6/24/03), and at this point 6 years ago, I couldn't do as much as you.

I just want to get better! .

Laura, You will get better, it just takes time. Unfortunately, you are just going to take a little more time. Hang in there, your body will start to heal and you'll have fewer and fewer issues.

Kim

Laura,
First I hope that today is a good day for you. Trust your body to tell you how much you can do. Don't try to compare yourself to others. I know you are likely just "sick of being sick", but time will heal you. I also want to thank you for posting everything about your surgery. I am certain that there are hundreds of folks on this site who are just lurking and telling them about your experience and showing that it is possible to overcome even these terrible circumstances. I also hope that your hospitalization on Wednesday gives you that much needed relief. I am praying for your recovery. My daily mantra has been "If HE brings me to it, HE will bring me through it". God Bless You.

Laura,
First I hope that today is a good day for you. Trust your body to tell you how much you can do. Don't try to compare yourself to others. I know you are likely just "sick of being sick", but time will heal you. I also want to thank you for posting everything about your surgery. I am certain that there are hundreds of folks on this site who are just lurking and telling them about your experience and showing that it is possible to overcome even these terrible circumstances. I also hope that your hospitalization on Wednesday gives you that much needed relief. I am praying for your recovery. My daily mantra has been "If HE brings me to it, HE will bring me through it". God Bless You.

How true your quote is. I'm looking forward to having my lungs drained tomorrow and hoping I will start healing quickly afterwards. My neighbor told me she had to have her lungs drained twice and then she finally felt better. I am determined not to get depressed. We sold our house in NJ in April and are moving to Florida so I have a whole new life to look forward to. Most of our family is in Florida and I'm looking forward to being near them. Luckily, our buyers work in a hospital and have agreed to put off the closing until September. I'm a very lucky lady and the hospital staff was outstanding and so very knowledgeable. Nothing was beneath them and they took such good care of me and made me really feel special. For anyone going in for surgery soon, one piece of advice. It took me about 8 or 10 days in the hospital before one of the nurses told me I could refuse the 4 am sponge bath! God, I hated them waking me at 4 am to give me a bath so the 7 am shift didn't have to do it! They also woke me every two hours for breathing treatments but I needed those so I didn't complain but the baths could wait until at least 6 am! LOL now when I look back.

So sorry to read that you are having to go through all of this. I will continue prayers that you get this resolved so that you can start a bump free recovery.
Best wishes,

Laura,

I'm glad to hear you are home. It is almost one year since my surgery and I had lots of complications too(tubed for 24 hours, pneumonia to name two) but when I got home recovery was fast. Here's hoping you do the same.

I concur with the others, share your entire story. I did exactly that in two posts a year ago. The information from your experience could prove helpful to others.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I just got home from another 5 days in the hospital. They said I developed Postpericardiotomy Syndrome which is an inflamatory reaction to the pericardium following surgery and I'm just the lucky one since I had two surgeries! They treated me with anti-inflamatory meds and antibiotics and sent me home yesterday with new meds. They also said I have the beginning of COPD and gave me Advair. This baffles me because my breathing was perfectly fine before my surgery. I am a former smoker so I guess my bad habits in my youth have caught up with me.

The good news is they did a TEE while I was there and my valve is great! I was a little more than nervous about this test and was so relieved when everything was fine. They said the right side of my heart is slightly enlarged but will be okay with time. They also did blood cultures because I've been running a low grade fever. No infection showed up which was also great news. Doctor said the fever is due to the inflamation but everything else is healing.

It's now been 4 weeks since my two surgeries and I feel optimistic that I've turned a corner and have nothing but positive thoughts going forward. Thank you all for your prayers and keep them coming because I am still extremely weak but mentally knowing that my valve is good and the fever is not caused my infection has given me a new positive outlook. Hugs to you all.

Laura, you certainly have been through a lot and I hope that the worst is all behind you now, and wish you a smooth recovery from here on. Best wishes with your move and your new life. :cool:

Latest posts

Back