My surgery date is set for September 26th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris.c

Aortic valve replacement surgery will be done september 26, 2012 by DR Guo in London Ontario. Robotic surgery instead of full sturnatomy. Now i have to prepare myself and fight the fear. I choose life........

Life does sound like a great choice...both before and after surgery...try not to let fear and anxiety rule your life during this next month. Fear is overrated. Will worrying prevent your worst fear from coming true? Doubtful, so might as well just roll with it and save yourself some stress. I know, easier said than done...I've been where you are...that was 6 months ago. Now I think about my repaired valve almost as often as I think about my left ear (not much at all :))

Hi Chris,

Be glad you made the decision to go for the surgery as I myself am still having difficulty with making a decision one way or the other, I have Servere MVP with Class 4 Barlow's Disease and servere MR. I have to have the full sterm OHS and my surgeon which I did select is opting for repair versus replacement at this point.

In any event be HAPPY you made your decision and you have a date which is great and before you know it from all the support I been getting on this forum is, it will be all over. We both are lucky to have found this forum!

Good luck and keep us up to date!

TomG

All the best Chris. Before you know it, you will be all done and feeling great. It is much better than you think it is. Surround yourself with friends and family before and after to speed up your healing process.

Best wishes, Chris. It is just over two weeks post op for me right now (AVR with full sternotomy). Every day is a little better! Today I walked two miles (then promptly took a nap). But, I was surprised I could do it! For me, the waiting for the surgery wasn't horrible but it was always on my mind. One thing I did was to write a note about my situation to a list of people I don't see that often (think xmas card list). I had my sister email it out the day I went into surgery, then she updated everyone when I came out of surgery successfully. I have received phone calls, cards and/or emails from a lot of them. It really buoyed my spirits to hear from people and know they care.

Chris,

I think most patients reach a point when their doctors know the risk of doing nothing outweighs the risk of surgery. I've reached that point two times and it helped me to focus on how much better I would feel once the problem was corrected. I was actually eager to have surgery so I could get back to living my life, raising my kids and not thinking about my heart all the time. It has also helped to focus on how grateful I am that I was born in these modern times when we have such wonderous things as heart surgeons, replacement valves, heart-lung bypass machines, antibiotics (and robotic surgery). If we had been born 150 years ago, there's not much that could have been done to help us. Many of us would have passed away prematurely. When I pray, I regularly express my gratitude for the things above and many other blessings as well. Focus on your blessings to crowd out the fear.

Mike,

It sounds like your recovery is going very well. You'll be amazed at how quickly you get back to feeling normal again if not better than before. I'm 7 weeks post-op now and feel so good, I have to remind myself to avoid over-stressing my still-healing sternum.

Piece of cake my friend. I have not been around for over a year but decided to jump back in so as to offer possitive input on the whole deal. It will be 3 year for me in Nov. feel great, rock climbing, mountain biking, working out with kettle bells, Note : did take quite a while before I could do push ups. But I feel like it never happened. As noted above, do your walking, don't push it to much everything will come, and go to rehab. everyone thinks they can do their rehab on their own, but it's nice to be pushed alittle.
Good Luck, see you in the post op forum.

Mac,
Superior Wi.

Latest posts

Back