My Story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doncy

I am very new to this ... just found out that I need OHS on my BAV that is now .8cm2.

I have always known that I had a heart murmur but never thought much about it.

Was never tested for it until this year.

I am 55 and in May I was told I could not go under anesthesia for a routine colonoscopy that the murmur sounded too bad or loud.

Did an echo.
Did a persantine cardiolite stress test
cardiac catheterization July 8
Surgery approx 2-3 weeks after that

I will be having my surgery in St. Mary's Hospital Kitchener with Dr. Yves LeClerc being the surgeon.

Does anyone know of that doctor? hospital?

I have been sick for the last month with the shingles, started to get chest pain shortly after I did the stress test.

Was admitted to hospital because they thought it was heart related. After about 5 days the blisters appeared. It has been a rough month but feeling better day by day.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I am like the rest very nervous, scared but wanting to get it done and behind me.

Thanks for listening

Nancy

Nancy, you could not ask for a kinder more caring talented surgeons and facilities , a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site most of the community are OHS brothers and sisters, there are some minimally invasive so ask away, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf[/QUOTE]

Hello Nancy, and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling so poorly of late, that sucks. :( I did want to offer some positive words, though... I am roughly your age and until a year ago had no idea there was anything wrong with my heart. After a long wait of nine months I finally had my surgery last month, a mitral valve replacement.

I'm six weeks out today, in fact, and happy to be alive and feeling better every day. I found the waiting period just awful, it's the fear and not knowing that does your head in! Luckily my surgery was uncomplicated and I made a good recovery with just one minor bump along the way. The first couple of days are a bit rough but I was fairly "drugged up" so don't remember much about it. I think the pre-op nerves, anxiety and depression were far worse than the reality of coping with the post-surgery period - I think I rather blew everything up out of all proportion in my mind. What a waste of energy that was!

Anyway, I hope you will remain positive and just bear in mind that your surgery will fix a long standing problem. Remember too that, although this is a big deal for you personally, the doctors and nurses you will be dealing with will have masses of experience and competence in helping you through the whole experience, as easily as possible. It's a very common and safe procedure these days, you'll be fine!

I am 4 weeks out, and feeling MUCH better than in the in the months before surgery. Take any help available for stress and depression while waiting, you will be amazed by how good you feel when its over!

Nancy, I highly recommend the shingles vaccine. At the time of my AVR I was 59 so my insurance wouldn't pay for it and I had to do it myself. For me it was well worth the money as I have not had a serious recurrence. It is very normal for you to feel anxious about what is happening. I found that sharing my concerns with others seemed to help a lot and you have a very understanding audience here in VR where we truly do know what you are experiencing. Let us know how you feel.

As for the heart cath coming up, I have had two different experiences. During the first, I was drugged and not very aware of what was going on. During the second one, fewer drugs were used so I was very aware of what was happening. I was able to ask questions and at times watch the monitor which proved to be very interesting. The surgeon who performed the cath helped me understand a lot more about the state of my heart and cardiovascular system which left me feeling much more positive about what was happening to me. Recovery from the second heart cath went much better also.

Larry

Hello:

Thank You all for the nice well wishes.

My surgery date has been set for Aug.23 barring any emergencies that would bump it.

I am glad that all this will soon be behind me.

Nancy

Latest posts

Back