My Story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri44

My name is Terri and I am 44 years old. I've had a heart murmur since birth without any issues growing up. Got married late in life at 41 and had my first baby at 42 with out any issues. Got pregnant with my second baby at 43 and was diagnosed at 5 weeks pregnant with Afib and Mitral regurgitation. I was put on Lovenox and Digoxin and continued fine with the pregnancy. Had a amino done at 17.5 weeks and lost the baby a week later. A week after I went to my cardiologist who performed a Tee test and a Catherization. I was told the valve would need to be replaced. The next week I met with a surgeon at Emory who wanted to schedule surgery right away but my husband was out of the country and I needed to wait. In the mean time I called St Joesph's in Atlanta to see if I'm a candidate for Robotic Surgery. With having a child close to 2 years old seems more ideal for me as far as recovery. The doctor has been out of town and I couldn't get a appointment until Tuesday March 16 I don't have any of symptoms they same I should have? So I'm hoping the Robotic surgery will be the answer. I've been following this web site for a couple of months and just hadn't posted anything. You guys are great and have giving me such a feeling a peace and comfort going through this journey. Ryan thanks for answering all my questions.

Hello Terri and thanks for coming out of the shadows.

The human body is great at masking serious issues. You may feel fine, or so you think, but you may find that you feel a whole lot better afterwords. Most of us never did feel any real decline, as our hearts compensated for the shortcomings. Many have found that they really did indeed, feel sick and didn't know it. As for the Robotic surgery, the convalescences period is about the same. No matter what, your heart and body will go through a "Rebooting" like a computer. I don't know how else to describe it.

Keep us posted and when you get an actual surgery date, then post back in the presurgery forum. :)

Welcome to VR, Terri

Welcome to VR, Terri

Welcome to VR, Terri. By the time of my AVR last year, I was feeling the classic symptoms...shortness of breath, dizziness and chest pain but through everything, my blood pressure was astonishingly stable. Until you really begin considering it, you don't realize how well our hearts can compensate. The struggle the heart goes through to compensate of course leads to additional problems. I've come to realize that I actually had symptoms for three or four years before surgery. For example, three summers ago I started finding it hard to work with my arms stretched above my head. Last weekend as I was pruning the apricots, I realized this isn't a problem anymore. It is likely you will notice a lot of little changes.

Larry

Terri, I wasn't suffering any symptoms, either. Well, I had my surgery 11 days ago, and my surgeon is still shaking his head, wondering how I was able to walk around with such a screwed up valve!! (Narrowed to a tiny hole and totally calcified and rigid.) As for surgery options, I went with the portal access "through the ribs" method rather than the traditional sternotomy. It's true that several times a day, I'm thankful for the absence of having to recover from my sternum mending...BUT...don't be fooled. Surgery is surgery! It's still hard for me to describe, but I was really taken by surprise at how debilitating it was, even though I went a "less invasive" route. Still, I've read a lot of about the robotic method and it sounds very promising. Good luck!

Randy

Welcome! I had minimally invasive mitral valve repair almost 4 years ago, and I'm doing well overall. Feel free to ask away!

Best,

Hi Terri,

My surgeon told me that he prefered minimal invasive surgery when working on the mitral valve because it allowed him easier access to the valve. In my case they told me there was a 90% chance they would have to replace my valve. The surgeon used the DaVinci robot and was able to repair the valve. I decided to have surgery in Macon becuase a friend told me he would assist the surgeon (He is the head of a cardio surgery unit at a medical school). My friend told me that if I did not elected to have the surgery in Macon that St Joesphs was the best place to go as he had a friend there he thought a lot off. Emory is also a great place. Best of luck to you.

Maan..I'm so lucky to have found a site with such caring people. All of your repsonses,personal experiences and advice have been a great help. Now that I think about it I do believe I have had some symptoms here and there but blamed it on other things. About 8 weeks after having my daughter I blacked out on the elliptical machine at the gym. I figured it was from lack of sleep and pushing myself too hard.

Terri

Hi Terri and welcome. I was pretty much asymptomatic, when diagnosed. Actually it came as quiet a shock!! It is good that you are getting the tests you need to confirm a diognosis.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard !!!!!!!!! I didn't know i have heart problem until my physical checkup. Doctor hear heart murmur then seen a Cardio and next think i knew
i needed surgery next week.

Symptoms

Symptoms

As others have noted, absence of symptoms is not all that uncommon. It's hard to know if your blackout on the eliptical was related to heart issues or the issues you considered at the time of the blackout.

Despite being diagnosed with a bad valve as a teenager, I was asymptomatic when my valve was replaced and a dacron graft was used to fix an aortic aneuryism. The defective valve wasn't causing any problems right up to the day it was replaced. I was 51 when I had the surgery. Prior to finally being talked into seeing a cardiologist in 2007, my last visit with a cardiologist had been back in 1980. My lifestyle had always been physically demanding. I never had any problems meeting the physical and stress test qualifications to work federal wildfire management teams for 14 years.

If I had had my brain turned-on and had seen a cardiologist more regularly, I probably would've had the valve replaced and aneuryism fixed before 2007. The aneuryism had developed without me knowing about it and was to the point where it was placing me at significant risk.

If your cardiologist is telling you it's time to have your valve replaced, odds are pretty good it's time to get it fixed. One of the nice things about getting diagnosed nowadays is that doctors can actually show you what the problem looks like. I don't remember my valve problem being shown as clearly 27-30 years ago. Replacement valve technology has come a long ways too.

-Philip

Ok it does seem that being asymptomatic is not uncommon. Trying to explain to loved ones that you shouldn't wait untill you are before having surgery seems to be my new issue.

Ok it does seem that being asymptomatic is not uncommon. Trying to explain to loved ones that you shouldn't wait untill you are before having surgery seems to be my new issue.

Do me and yourself a favor, get it taken care of before damage occurs. I went too long without getting mine fixed and now have a permanently damaged heart and chronic congestive heart failure. No need to go there if you can help it. Explain it that way to your loved ones. Denial can be deadly.

Hi Terri,

I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you lost the baby! That alone would have been enough to deal with...but to then have this extra whammy!! I can still remember the horrible, mind boggling FEAR I felt when I was told I had to have my valve replaced. I went almost 3 years knowing, but not knowing when.....and I can honestly tell you...It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!! It's major surgery, and you know that can be no fun...but I was really surprised how quickly the body can snap back from something like that. I, too didn't think I was sick....until now...when I am 8 months out tomorrow! I was sick, very sick. I now feel great! I still get a little tired easily, but I am 46 and maybe thats how a 46 year should feel! I am happy to report that the way I was feeling this time last year was ALL wrong for my age! ha!

I wish you luck! You will need to feel better and have more energy to run after that 2 yr old!!

Mileena

Ross my doctors said the exact same thing.

Mileena..Thank You!! This year is not turning out like I thought it would. When I was first diagnost I was pregnant so they didn't say much about what was to come. After losing the baby I was just numb. Then to hear I needed to go on warfarin and open heart surgery was was just way to much. I put everything on hold for about 2 weeks. I then did some research on the internet and found this site. It just eased all my fears and I was able to move foward. I'm was wondering to was I just tired from being 44 with a 2 year old..:)

I thought my symptoms were just me hitting 50...My kids are in their 20s and I still feel like I did this for the hell of it, and didn't need it...My oldeset thinks I shloud have just taken herbs and vitamins, my middle one was ok and my youngest is a phys ed major that kept telling me I needed to work out.

Welcome to the forum Terri! Although I had a different problem (aortic not mitral), I have a new lease on life. I have a mechanical aortic valve now, and even though I am just 2 months out past surgery, I feel as if the clock has been turned back at least 10 years. I am really sorry that you are getting some 'flack' from any family members who think you need more symptoms! After you get done slapping them upside the head (just kidding) explain that, with a young child it is more important than ever for you to be at your peak of physical stamina. If that does not convince them, remind them that since you've blacked out once, you certainly do not want to risk having that happen when you are doing the Mom-mobile thing driving with your child. (I'm sorry you lost one too, I imagine that makes the one you have doubly precious if such a thing is possible.)

Even if you have not had severe symptoms, I would be willing to bet you will notice an improvement in your energy level after some recuperation time. The bottom line is, no matter what anyone else thinks, I am sure you know that getting your heart fixed is very important. I put mine off, and wish I had not, the only upside or good part about my delay in getting mine fixed is at least I got a fancy-schmancy state of the art valve<grin>.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back