My Son Chris

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is definitely a move in the right direction! What wonderfully welcome news! I think a lot of us are feeling like Chris is now an extended part of our families too.

bvdr said:
I think this is definitely a move in the right direction! What wonderfully welcome news! I think a lot of us are feeling like Chris is now an extended part of our families too.
Just watch out, occasionally he bites the hands that feed him! :eek:

Another big sigh of relief from the Pacific Northwest. Actually, right on the Pacific Ocean, right now. Decided to bring the laptop with us on our weekend out of town so we could keep tabs on our daughter's volleyball tournament in another state. Had to keep tabs on Chris, too, of course!!! Thinking of you all as we watch the waves crash on shore with the setting sun and then OH! some whale spoutings, too! 'Tis the season for migrating whales. Just a puff of spray, here and there.....way, way out there.

Wishing continued progress and optimism. And thank god he's still got his foot!! Great job, parents. Great job!!

:) Marguerite

Rehab

Rehab

Ten years ago after my younger son suffered an accident and awoke from a deep coma and suffered "brain injury" with related issues, he was sent for therapy, occupational and physical. I found it annoying and too simplistic at first, as I observed the sappy, cheerful girl assigning ridiculously simple "exercises" to Levi... but I was quickly humbled because IT HELPED! Those silly- and redundant-looking therapy repetitions really helped him to recover.

I would imagine it's not for everyone, though. Just sharing my personal change of heart about it. Also, I thought some of those silly-looking exercises the hospital staff had me doing after AVR really helped me heal better also.

So glad things are looking up for you all, Ross!

HOORAY!!!!!!!

Now we are truly happy for you all....this is just wonderful news...brings a tear or two to my tired eyes...

Ross
I?m so happy to hear the news. I don?t want to sound intrusive or pedant, but talking about myself, I know if it is left to me I wouldn?t do much. I need some ?pushing? and structure. Rehab offers this and as someone said before, it may not look like much, but I helps a lot. Also, think how much you and your wife have gone through; knowing that he is well taken care of, it may give some very well earned restful time to you both. Please forgive if I sound offensive, this is not my intention and you are welcome to send me ?go and fly a kite?

maka said:
Ross
I?m so happy to hear the news. I don?t want to sound intrusive or pedant, but talking about myself, I know if it is left to me I wouldn?t do much. I need some ?pushing? and structure. Rehab offers this and as someone said before, it may not look like much, but I helps a lot. Also, think how much you and your wife have gone through; knowing that he is well taken care of, it may give some very well earned restful time to you both. Please forgive if I sound offensive, this is not my intention and you are welcome to send me ?go and fly a kite?
Go fly a kite :D :D :D

Honestly, he may not have a choice. If they can't arrange for home IV antibiotics, he may well have to do it just to get the antibiotics. If he has as hard a time as I did getting approved, he'll be going to rehab.

If you can handle one more voice on the rehab thing: My husband went from non-weightbearing for three months to one crutch for three days and then tossed it away. He definitely paid a price for not following (or even being given) a plan for a more gradual return to weight bearing. He will have been bearing weight for three weeks in two days and although he is improving every day, he is in tremendous pain from ligaments, tendons and muscles getting back into their routines. Having someone guide Chris through that process and monitor him closely would be invaluable. I still have to remind my husband that even though he can walk, that doesn't mean shouldn't limit how much walking he does. Of course, I have to admit it falls on deaf ears--why would he think it's okay to run through an airport??? I worry that he will jeopardize his long term recovery for short term gains. A shorter leash in those early weight-bearing days would've been nice!:rolleyes:

He has a very long way to go before even being partial weight bearing on this foot. 6 months or more, so there is plenty of time for rehab, it's just this early, in between surgeries thing that is confusing.

Ross, maybe being home in the bosom of his family will be much better therapy for him right now. With more surgery on the horizon, he still has a lot to face and needs to strengthen his resolve now. There is lots of time for therapy. Sending you all prayers for the strength and perseverance you need now.

How has his pain management been going? i know they gave him a pump, but what are their plans for when he is home between surgeries?Lyn

Lynlw said:
How has his pain management been going? i know they gave him a pump, but what are their plans for when he is home between surgeries?Lyn
Tylenol perhaps with Codeine. Maybe Percocet, but that's about it.

and is his pain ok with that? I only ask because after years of dealing with chronic pain, since my spinal stimulator broke, I was looking for others w/ chronic pain and found a really good pain site like this, so if he was having pain still I could look for good articles/links there if you need

Lynlw said:
and is his pain ok with that? I only ask because after years of dealing with chronic pain, since my spinal stimulator broke, I was looking for others w/ chronic pain and found a really good pain site like this, so if he was having pain still I could look for good articles/links there if you need
Hon, I'm sure he will be for the rest of his life. His ankle has more screws and braces then the foundation of a new building. He is always going to have some pain. Living with it will be a challenge. Any and all help is welcome.

Ross said:
Hon, I'm sure he will be for the rest of his life. His ankle has more screws and braces then the foundation of a new building. He is always going to have some pain. Living with it will be a challenge. Any and all help is welcome.

I'm going to pm you :)

Just had to chime in.............

Just had to chime in.............

to let you know I'm still following and praying. I'm thrilled that this saga may have a happy ending yet................at least much happier than we feared just a couple of weeks ago.

Do keep us posted. I think your thread here has now topped Katie's! :p See how much we love you!!! :) :)

Many hugs. J.

I just talked with the patient care coordinator, it seems Chris really wants to come home. So bad in fact, that he volunteered for us to pay $150 a day up front for home health care! :eek: I think the boy has had too much Dilaudid and it's fried his brain. I don't know what we are going to do at this point. Can't afford to front anything and there are no guarantees that anything is going to get paid in the end.
giullare.gif

Ross said:
I just talked with the patient care coordinator, it seems Chris really wants to come home. So bad in fact, that he volunteered for us to pay $150 a day up front for home health care! :eek: I think the boy has had too much Dilaudid and it's fried his brain. I don't know what we are going to do at this point. Can't afford to front anything and there are no guarantees that anything is going to get paid in the end.
giullare.gif

Holy cow!:eek: "Sure, they can pay the money, now where do I sign;) "
Not to alarm you, but I just volunteered you to pay my...:)

All kidding aside, I am glad the prognosis is soooo much better than you had first feared. Everything else will work out one way or another, but the most important thing (Chris's health) seems to be looking up!!
Answered prayers...

Latest posts

Back