My son Ben

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tex

Hi,
Im after any advice any other parents can give me when their sons/daughters go off in the Army. My son Ben whos just 19 is joining the army on the 17th may, and im so proud of him on one hand and so worried on the other im trying to laugh and joke with him when he tells me of army life, as trying not to let him see how upset i am, sit and cry to myself when hes not around im going to miss him so much, he has been here for everyday since i had my operation and nothing has been to much trouble for him, not many 19year olds would look after their mums like he has me. Hes already been told he will be going to Iraq in December, then i really dont know how i will cope, i have to think this is something hes always wanted to do its his dream, he s joining the Paras and like i said before im so so proud.
So many other parents have to face this too, and im sure they all feel the same way i do, but how do you cope? PLEASE any advice?
Thanks so much
Jane

That is a tough one. I understand you are proud and at the same time torn when you want him home. I think Bina came up w/a good idea? Prayers for you all.

Your son sounds like a wonderful young man, you should be very proud of him! I will keep him in my prayers.

Put your trust in the Lord's hands & embrace the decision your son has made.

This is what he wants to do & you just have to step aside, even though your heart aches & fears for him & allow him to pursue his dream!

May he always be safe! :)

Dear Jane - I have a son - he is now in his 40s. I always worried that something, anything, might happen to him and dreaded the thought of him ever joining the military. He never gave it a thought and how grateful I am that his father and I never had to walk in your shoes, yet how proud we, too, would have been. I pray that God will hold both you and your dear son in His hands while you walk the path you are now following. I have no advice to give you, but I will keep you in my thougts. Blessins.........

I don't have any experience with this so all I can say is be proud and supportive of your son's decision. Regardless of what path our children choose, we can't predict the outcome. Best wishes to you and your son.

Dear Tex,

Yes, I do know how you feel! My oldest son who is twenty seven, joined the Army. He has been stationed in Afghanistan. I was not super thrilled with him joining the Army, but it is what he wanted. So I certainly respect his decision. My husband and I are very proud of him. He seems to be genuinely happy. We never tried to discourage him. We keep in touch via instant messaging. He is in a place where, when he has the time, he can communicate with his wife, and my husband , and me. It's really an amazing technology!! I will be on the internet, and he literally "pops in"!

I will include you and your son in my prayers. Take it one day at a time. Live your life, and trust in God for the outcome, what ever it may be. He will be home before you know it! He sounds like a fine young man! You are blessed.

Hi,
Thank you all for lovely messages i have received over my son ben going into the army, im sat in tears reading them, you are so right and Ben said there is a web site to talk to other parents who are going through what i am, so i will be joining this.
Thank you all again for your prays.
Jane

My son went into the army for a trial. At the time he was being really bad. In away i was kind of glad he had gone, thought it would help him to grow up but i was also very scared. In the end the Army didn't accept him, don't think he took it serious.
Hope you can find some comfort from the website. Best wishes to Ben.

Dear Jane, I have a "nephew"* that did 2 tours in Iraq. It was hard. I am very proud of him, and grateful for his service. It is a truly great thing to offer one's life in the service of your country. I will keep Ben in my thoughts and prayers. All the best, Brian *I say "nephew", he's actually my brother's nephew, but spent so much of his youth with my bro and SIL that I claim him as another nephew.

Back