My sister is in ICU at hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going a bit crazy waiting for news....so I phoned the hospital.
They put me through to the nursing station, and my nephew was there to talk to me. He said that she is sleeping, and was trying to speak a bit. She knows that she is in a hospital and is very sick.
Still in ICU today and tomorrow.
Docs are kind of surprised by the severity if what happened, they usually see that level of blood sugar in a juvenile diabetic.
I was concerned about her kidneys, but my nephew confirmed that she has a catheter and there is "output" in the bag.
Thank you all again for the support:)

Bina

Bina

My prayers are with your sister..for a quick recovery.:) I worry about my sister..She had 2 stents put in a few months ago..still not doing well..I think to the meds that they are making her take?:( .... where did you move from? Bonnie

Still praying for your sister Bina. Is she diabetic - or are they thinking that she is?

Granbonny said:
My prayers are with your sister..for a quick recovery.:) I worry about my sister..She had 2 stents put in a few months ago..still not doing well..I think to the meds that they are making her take?:( .... where did you move from? Bonnie

Bonnie I think your sister must be feeling bad from the meds....most people do very well with stents.

We all grew up in quebec, west of Montreal, small town stuff.

And, yes, sis is now seriously diabetic:(

Bina

Hope everything goes well,My thoughts are with you and your sister
Positive thinking works!!!
Karen

My Sister is now stablilized:)
The nurses have started to impress on her that her life will be very different....no more smoking, no more workaholic, no more huge dinner plates and desserts before bedtime, etc. (She makes the BEST apple pie).
She will stay in hospital until next Monday or until they have this all figured out....they still need to determine if she has type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
Thanks again for all the prayers and support.

Bina,
Now that you know where your sister is at, give her all your emotional support you can give during her life style changes. You are fantastic with all your support you have shown all of us, but your sister needs you now. I'm only saying this because I didn't feel the emotional support during my recovery from MVR and started smoking again. Maybe I'm just weak. I hope your sister can be stronger than me.

You are both in my prayers.

Happy to read she is stabilized. I'll pray for strength for her in making this big life changes

Bina,
I am relieved to hear your sister is doing better. I will be thinking of you and her.

Glad to hear your sister has stablized. Lifestyle changes are tough (as we all know around here) but I'm sure with your support she'll be able to manage them. Wishing her all the best for a speedy recovery and smooth transition into her new lifestyle.

She will do fine once she accepts the life style change. She's just been knocked right down and it will be a blow once she gets out of the hospital - to know that her life is forever changed. God bless her. She'll need your support. We are so happy to know she is going to be alright, but she sure was in a spot for awhile. Blessins...........

Bina,

I just wanted to chime in and also wish your sister well and to encourage you as you support her. Yes, I can testify as a Type 2 diabetic myself, lifestyle changes are necessary. But maybe you can help cushion the blow by letting her know that not all changes have to be severe.

Giving up smoking, yes. Adding rest and relaxation to work, yes. But as for her love of desserts, all is not lost. Great apple pies (and other flavors) can be made with Splenda. In fact, there is a Splenda blend just for baking. Works great, tastes great.

In time, lifestyle changes will be viewed not as harsh, but beneficial and even enjoyable. Getting more exercise, for example, can help us feel better not just physically but mentally.

It also is a real blessing that they were able to able to diagnose what was wrong with her after such a scary episode.

All best wishes to her and to you as you move ahead.

Hi, Bina~

Rob said what I was thinking: Those fabulous apple pies your sister makes are not history--for such a terrific cook/chef, this will prove a challenge she won't be able to pass up: she'll be making diabetic-friendly dishes that will be scarfed up by everyone.

I'm happy to hear that she's stabilized, and it's a fantastic opportunity for her now to change some of those workaholic traits: Life will be so sweet! And it sounds as though she has great family support nearby, you included. Once she starts feeling stronger, you'll probably have to sit on her! :) High-energy patterns are hard to re-train, but with all of you helping, she'll soon get the hang of it.

Make sure you get some rest, too!

Best, sona

I called Sis at noon today

I called Sis at noon today

It was so good to hear her voice today....she was very subdued, but fine.
Her lunch had just arrived and we were joking about it.
She does have a cookbook for Splenda recipes, no problem there.

Sis had an EKG this morning and her heart shows some damage. I said, what?
There was a small heart attack during her "crash".

I believe an echo will be done...something else to worry about....but at least cardiac details I will be able to comprehend and relate to.

BTW, Sis appreciates all the kindness sent to her by my "cardiac" friends.:)

Hi Bina, I have just been trying to catch up with what I have missed over the last couple of weeks and was so sorry to hear about what your sister has been going through. I'm glad they have been able to diagnose the problem and now the recovery can begin. My sister in law was diagnosed with diabetes at 8 months old and when she joined our family I made a point of making dishes for family gatherings that were ok for her, the rest of the family don't even realise that these dishes are diabetic friendly. My prayers are being sent so your whole family will be able to adjust to the new live style .....Mary

Back