My heart started beating way fast for no reason

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warfarinking

I had an aortic valve replaced 3 1/2 weeks ago and just last night when I got off my seat my heart started beating uncontrollably fast for about 2 mins then it just went back to normal.

Is this normal?

I'm on two medications at the moment which is Warfarin and Metoprolol (i take a half tablet of Metoprolol in the morning/night)

I had something similar at about 2 1/2 wks. In my case, after the racing heart, I started having episodes where it would start skipping every other beat, especially when laying or reclining. Within a couple days, after going to the ER, I went into afib. They put me on a drug (amiodarone) to control it, and it got a lot better within a few days. I'm now at 13 wks and have had a couple minor relapses, but it's stayed away for the most part, and I'm now off amiodarone. So I hope it was just temporary, like they said it would most likely be. It's fairly common for this to happen - due to them cutting into your heart and your heart now starting to heal and scar up. Not something to get scared about (as scary as it is) because anxiety will make it worse, but you should go see someone if it comes back or gets worse so they can monitor you. Don't be shy about going into the ER if it gets worse tonight - they'll understand and know what to do.

Thanks for the quick reply, I was pretty scared when It happened since I had no idea what was going on...hopefully it doesn't happen again. I'm also noticing right before bed that my heart would tend to skip a beat here and there (since I can pretty much hear every heart beat due to the mechanical valve) and I would start to worry when I wouldn't be able to hear a beat, it kind of seems like I'm going through what you had to go through.

Also, you mentioned "afib" what does that stand for?

It is somewhat common to have irregular heart beats after surgery, and though it's common some are not normal and need to be addressed. A-fib is short for atrial fibrillation, which means the atria of your heart are beating out of synch with the ventricles, and usually too quickly and thus the ventricles (right pumps blood to the lungs to get oxygen, and left pumps that oxygenated blood out to rest of body), are probably not getting enough oxygenated blood to pump to lungs and body. So it is nothing to take lightly, and it's somewhat common after valve surgery. Not everyone gets it, but if you do it needs to be addressed.

Usually your pulse will speed up. I spent most of one day in atrial fib a few days after my AVR and pulse never dropped below 130 until I got out of it. It can usually be controlled with medication, and the medication is usually temporary.

If you find yourself having a lot of irregular beats and it your having shortness of breath (SOB) with it, call your doctor right away or get yourself to the ER. Sometimes it's just a bump in the road post-surgery, or it could indicate something more serious going on.

Last edited:
The skipping a beat right before bed sounds similar to what I had too. When I'd lay on the bed, or even recline slightly in the recliner is when those irregular beats would start happening. I've got a mechanical valve too, so know exactly what you mean when you say it's very noticeable. Below are a few links to some of my posts when I was going through this - you can read everyone's replies and see if anything else rings a bell. I'm guessing it's due to the surgery and will get better, but like Luana said, if it continues or gets worse, go see someone, even if you have to go to an ER (these things always seem to happen at night or on weekends...).

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35072-Question-for-you-old-pros-episodes-of-noticably-slower-heart-rate&highlight=

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35142-Anyone-have-a-fib-palpitations-after-surgery-that-went-away&highlight=

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?35112-Anyone-else-notice-this-Laying-down-makes-irregular-beats-worse&highlight=

Last edited:
Ditto on similar experience within 3 weeks of my MVR. I called my surgeon's office and got a call back that it was probably due to a change in the BP meds I was Rxed for 1 month post-op. I dunno, because I had several episodes, up until about 6 weeks post-op.

I'm in week 3 of post op and this past Monday had irregular heartbeats (skipped beats). Called my surgeon's office as instructed in my discharge papers and was advised that if it happened again to go to the ER to have it checked out. Same time the next day it started again so my friend drove me to the ER where they didn't happen again. Reminded me of taking the car in for an odd noise.

After a few hours and multiple tests my friend got me a cold drink and after I drank it my heart started skipping again. The doc showed up at the door and told us PVCs can be caused by cold drinks because the esophagus is so close to the irritated heart.

I was so relieved by the information AND that all else looked great that the trip was worth it. Even got to see my new valve in operation! Now on Sunday the issue is gone, but I was relieved I knew what it was the rest of the week.

Call your surgeons office, describe the problem and follow their instructions. Their goal is your success!

Last edited:
Be sure to notify your Cardiologist. He may want you to wear a 24 (or 48) hour Holter Monitor which will hopefully capture some of these episodes so that he can identify the type of arrhythmia. There are several different medications that can help to control the different types. Most are considered benign but they can be disconcerting (and uncomfortable) until identified and explained.

'AL Capshaw'

Back