My first powerlifting competition date is set - 9/22/2012

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

I was a bit hesitant to share this for a little bit, but I have been training this whole summer for my first post OHS powerlifting competition which will take place on September 22nd, 2012.
I will not set any records or do anything super impressive. I just want to walk out on the platform again, smell that air, see people who have been training for months and support and cheer them on.

I kept my workout progress updates here: http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?40352-More-gym-goodness-8-week-update

Competition Results Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgYxSJkuoBc
Competition Pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/102667...authkey=Gv1sRgCPaVuO7mjIeq8QE&feat=directlink
Pictures show sequences of: 402 Squat, 430 Squat, 457 Squat, 281 Bench Press, 480 Deadlift, 530 Deadlift and 551 deadlift.

Last edited:
Good luck with your lifting. Just remember no matter how you do it will still be a PR since it's your first competition after OHS. All the best!

Could I disagree with you and advocate that walking out on the platform, cheering on other competitors, and putting up your still amazing numbers is super impressive? :) As Garserin points out, this is only step one, and it's a great one. We're cheering.

I was a bit hesitant to share this for a little bit, but I have been training this whole summer for my first post OHS powerlifting competition which will take place on September 22nd, 2012.
I will not set any records or do anything super impressive. I just want to walk out on the platform again, smell that air, see people who have been training for months and support and cheer them on.

Go GymGuy!:thumbup::smile2:
I can't wait to read your account of how it feels to be back on the platform!:smile2:

Good Luck!
I know how important it is to get back to your competition. It proves you are BACK. I'm grateful every time Jet and I walk into an agility ring. I know we train in class, and on our own, but getting back into the ring to test ourselves against the challenge of the day is special.

Congratulations for all of your efforts, GymGuy! Less than six months post surgery even! You are inspiring me to take up running again! May I ask, how long after your surgery did you start upper body work? I am 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and thinking it would be wise to wait three months. Is the sternum healed enough to begin earlier than that?

Thanks and look forward to hearing about your competition!

Mike 1952
AVR with bovine 3300TFX

I'm confused....I had the same surgery as you last June, but, with different hardware. I was told to never lift more than 25 pounds by both surgeon and cardiologist. Please explain. I would like to lift more.:smile2:

Congratulations for all of your efforts, GymGuy! Less than six months post surgery even! You are inspiring me to take up running again! May I ask, how long after your surgery did you start upper body work? I am 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and thinking it would be wise to wait three months. Is the sternum healed enough to begin earlier than that?

Thanks and look forward to hearing about your competition!

I waited about 8 weeks before I really started any upper body work. Squats, I was doing sooner. For upper body work I was using single dumbbells to cut the stress on sternum in half or even more. Exercises I was doing were light shoulder presses, light incline presses and light flat bench presses. I was using just 1 dumbbell at a time and had my other hand on my hip for counter balancing. This only provided half the pressure on the sternum, and weights were light but increasing every workout.

I think around 3 month post surgery I was benching 225x3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH6vYvf5LqM Now, at 5 month post surgery I am close to 290 or so with a pause. Your sternum will continue to heal just fine, and some light-medium workouts that you cannot feel affecting you negatively is never a bad thing. Just listen to your body.

Last edited:
I'm confused....I had the same surgery as you last June, but, with different hardware. I was told to never lift more than 25 pounds by both surgeon and cardiologist. Please explain. I would like to lift more.:smile2:

I am a competitive powerlifter and an athlete, the way I see things maybe quite different than most. I consulted with my surgeon about this and we came to certain agreements. I will let my body heal fully and I will start lifting slowly, all while listening to my body carefully. If you want to exercise there is not a reason not to do a little bit of it. As your body adapts increase the load a tiny little bit, all the little bits will add up over time, and your body will get used to the loads and become stronger and more resilient. This is my take. I am not a doctor. Listen to me at your own risk - lol :)

Good Luck!
I know how important it is to get back to your competition. It proves you are BACK. I'm grateful every time Jet and I walk into an agility ring. I know we train in class, and on our own, but getting back into the ring to test ourselves against the challenge of the day is special.

Laurie, I wholeheartedly agree. To everyone else, thanks so much for your encouragements. Only 2 weeks of training left.

Check again with the surgeon and cardiologist just be sure they said "never". You may have reasons for "never" that GymGuy and others don't have after full recovery from AVR. Many of us, particularly if our valve disorder was biscuspid aortic valve, had associated aortic aneurysm(s). Depending on the size of the aneurysm, it may not be repaired with the AVR, as the risk of a small aneurysm is less than the risk of the repair. In that case, you would have continuing restrictions on lifting weight. However, if the AVR and aorta repair is complete, it is common not to have any restrictions after the recovery period.

Very impressive!! It's great that you are already back to doing what you love! Good luck!

Congratulations, the pics are great, I can't believe you are doing this 6 months out from surgery. Way to go!

Back