My First Post

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev

I've been reading the forum posts for a few weeks, and I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I've learned so much about AVR on this site.
In a few hours, I'll be heading to the hospital for my angiogram. I have met with my surgeon, and he plans on doing my surgery in about 2 weeks. Once he gets the results of the angio, I'll be given my surgery date. The waiting truly sucks! Feeling tired, depressed, bored, concerned, frustrated, scared....please tell me this is "normal" as the surgery date approaches.

Bev, welcome to our little home away from home, glad you found us! I think everything you are feeling is very normal. The good news is that you can be fixed and have a healthy life. I spent some time in the waiting room and it does suck. Just keep as calm as you can and I promise it is not near as bad as you imagine, at least that was my experience.

Bev - Welcome to The Waiting Room. I know the waiting well -- I waited for years. Now I'm "on the other side of the mountain" and doing very well. I'm happy to be here and bid you welcome!

The waiting Sucks! the surgery is a blessing, No real pain just a lot of discomfort the first 3 or 4 days. Walk as soon as you can!

Bev, what you are feeling and experiencing at the moment is very normal. I kept on postponing the date of my surgery for about 6 months until the surgeon became tough with me....Many of us experienced a feeling of calmness and ecceptance a few days before the operation.

Hi Bev,
Been there (where you are now), done that (valve replaced) don't need to do it again. What you're feeling and experiencing is perfectly normal--exactly the way I felt at the time. The waiting was the worst part--it ends.
What hospital will do your surgery?

Welcome

Welcome

Hi Bev,
Been there (where you are now), done that (valve replaced) don't need to do it again. What you're feeling and experiencing is perfectly normal--exactly the way I felt at the time. The waiting was the worst:(--it ends.:)
What hospital will do your surgery?

Bev prayers and positive vibes traveling down Hwy 6 to Hamilton ......are you going to Mac or into T.O. ....you know we have many members in your area , a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you found the site most of the community are OHS brothers and sisters, there are some minimally invasive so ask away, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

The waiting truly sucks! Feeling tired, depressed, bored, concerned, frustrated, scared....please tell me this is "normal" as the surgery date approaches.

I'm waiting right now and this is "normal". You can go mad with symptoms and emotions. Keep focused on the positive and continue being proactive with getting everything lined up. Getting better is a full time job!

Thanks everyone!
The angio went fine, no blockage in the arteries, some possible issue with the aorta. My right arm/wrist is very sore, so I can't type very well tonight. I'll see my cardiologist July 5th, so then I'll know more details of the angio.
Answers to some of your questions - age 58, hospital- Hamilton General Hospital, bicuspid aortic valve, valve area .6cm.

It's normal. You're ready. The waiting is hard. You may have to have some aorta replaced, from the sound of it. That's pretty common, so isn't really an extra concern as far as the surgery.

My advice, if you can swing it, is to go someplace that you love to be, for at least a couple of days before the surgery. Preferrably a place of great physical beauty. Relax, soak it in, make peace with yourself. Find your calm center.

When the time comes and you go in, it becomes the doctors' and nurses' responsibility, and it's off of you for a while. Your job will be to sleep until they've done their part. It will go faster than you think, and probably hurt much less than you think (most women say childbirth is worse). You're 58, so you're likely to recover fairly quickly.

Best wishes,

Bev, if you were feeling any other way, I would have some concerns about you. Your experience is our experience. AVR is routine for our surgeons but it is certainly not part of your routine. The anxiety that develops as one is waiting sort of magnifies all the concerns the crop up. You are not alone in this. When you wake up after surgery, you are likely to find it anticlimactic. From that first waking after you leave the ICU and your head is clear, you will be dealing with the day to day issues of recovery and you will realize the surgery itself is just one part of the experience. It is likely to go better than you anticipate and you may be surprised at how fast you get back to your regular routines.

Larry
Tulsa, OK

Latest posts

Back