My dad is getting a pacemaker

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbrn

My father is 77 years old. A year or so ago he went into a-fib. They started him on digoxin to lower the heart rate. He now has sick sinus syndrome from the digoxin and needs a pacemaker. Mom is 73 and had stroke 6 years ago and is weak on her left side. She can not cook much because she is not allowed to use sharp knifes. She also can not drive. Dad will go in the hospital thursday and spend the night. My sister will spend the night with mom at home thursday night.

My question is how much will dad be able to do for the next few weeks after the pacemaker? When will he be able to drive? When will he be able to cook, etc. Mom can do some cleaning, but not a lot. If mom falls, when will dad be able to help her up if needed? Mom can dress herself, bath etc without assistance. Any other suggestions? When can dad bring up the laundry from the basement, or carry groceries? I can go friday thru sunday and then I have to come home sunday to back to work on monday. They live 3 hours away. I can't take anytime off of work because I just took 12 weeks off for my own surgery.

Debbie

(((Debbie)))
I don't have any specific info, but I'll be praying. I understand something of what you're dealing with--my mom is 75 and lives on her own (and I think she's ADD). Prayers for your whole family....

Marcia

HI Deb..you dad could be getting a single or dual lead pacemaker.....the surgery to implant either is no big deal.....I didn't even get stitches....they just glued the incision back together...it wasn't that painful and they did it using just Versed and fentanyl. I was awake and talking to them the whole time. The main concern after the surgery is letting the lead(s) that are in the heart chamber(s) scar in place so that they don't come loose. They advised me that takes about 3 months. In the meantime they told me not to raise my left arm over my head or use it for anything too strenuous. Other than that and being a little tender right after surgery, it really isn't a problem. I hope this helps you....Michael

A lot of times it depends on the doctor. Some surgeons have told me not to drive for 2-3 weeks, others have said it's not a problem (though wearing the seat belt could be tender for awhile). I've also been told not to lift more than 10 pounds for a few weeks as well. I would suggest asking the surgeon what he usually recommends. Your dad, mom, and family will be in my prayers.

Debbie, I don't know a thing about a pacemaker but do wish the very best for your parents. God Bless.

Wife is 71 and I'm 75 but we are fortunate, at the present we have good health. Suppose someday we'll need to move closer to family for we're 650 miles.

Justin had his pacer implanted epicardial, in his abdomen under his ribs, not the shoulder area, (and it was during a conduit revision) so I can't offer advice from personal knowledge, but here is a link to CCFs http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/services/tests/procedures/pmHome.aspx after pacer instructions.
I am sorry there is SO much going on, you are all in my prayers. How close are you to them? Will his surgery/early part of recovery be during your week on or off work? I know you are a good daughter, but please remember try NOT to over do it yourself. Is this your sister who went to Boston with you?

HI Deb..you dad could be getting a single or dual lead pacemaker.....the surgery to implant either is no big deal.....I didn't even get stitches....they just glued the incision back together...it wasn't that painful and they did it using just Versed and fentanyl. I was awake and talking to them the whole time. The main concern after the surgery is letting the lead(s) that are in the heart chamber(s) scar in place so that they don't come loose. They advised me that takes about 3 months. In the meantime they told me not to raise my left arm over my head or use it for anything too strenuous. Other than that and being a little tender right after surgery, it really isn't a problem. I hope this helps you....Michael
I agree fully with Michael/Heartman77 >>>>I am implanted with an ICD and have been paced a few times and the defib has shocked me twice
runningSmiley.gif
reviving me and all times I never knew I had recieved therapy until my ICD interogation at the implant clinic (I go every six months) a ring is put over the implant and all activity is read and adjustments can be made via the clinic computer the interogations will now be done here at home and transmitted to Medtronics server then read by the clinic
A lot of times it depends on the doctor. Some surgeons have told me not to drive for 2-3 weeks, others have said it's not a problem (though wearing the seat belt could be tender for awhile). I've also been told not to lift more than 10 pounds for a few weeks as well. I would suggest asking the surgeon what he usually recommends. Your dad, mom, and family will be in my prayers.
I have known a few people with pacemakers that drive right away but an ICD is different and can be up to six weeks depending on local regulations.......I carried a small ( 8 X 8 X 4) throw cushion to help with the seatbelt while I healed..............again as in both the weight (no more than a gallon of milk) and the arm above his head, this was just a matter of a couple of weeks and during that time I let my wife know what I was preparing for dinner and she made sure it was all on the counter before she left for work ......I could not do and still can't, housework as I have no sternum but could if it were just the ICD

That little device has become my angel :angel: on my shoulder and I am so grateful for it I am sure your dad will welcome his as well and should look at it as a whole new lease on life:eek2:

angel.gif
armdown.gif
angel.gif

Debbie, I had my first pacer put in in 2002, just got my replacement this May. I could not raise my left arm above shoulder height for 6 weeks. The temptation is to keep it in a sling but that is a bad thing resulting in frozen shoulder. It sounds easy but is hard to remember because even if you open a cabinet with one hand you reach in for a dish with the other hand.

He should definitely not try to pick your mother up; could she help herself up if he pushed a chair over near her? I have a close friend whose husband has Parkinsons and when he falls she calls 911 and when they see it's their number calling the parametics come right over and pick him up and make sure he hasn't injured himself.

Cooking--there all kinds of frozen meals in a bag that can be put in a casserolle dish and cooked in a micro. which has plenty of food for two elderly persons. I keep frozen veggies in the freezer and add some corn, peas, green beans, etc. No need to use sharp knives but that is something your dad could do with the opposite hand.

I had to wait a couple of weeks til I could drive, with some padding between the pacer and the seatbelt. It's not the driving that is difficult but the possibility of someone backending you and having the airbag go off and hitting the pacer site. So you have to think ahead and make sure you have all supplies well stocked ahead of time. Do your parents have friendly neighbors who would help check up and see if they needed anything; a lot of people are willing to help but just have to be asked.

Life gets tough sometimes but you'll make it!

Thank you very much Lyn. You are always full of important information. My other sister (Donna) is the one that is going to spend the night. She lives about 45 minutes from mom and dad. We do not get a long at all. She a nothing positive to say to me at all. She helps mom and dad with small things. She is a stay at home mother that is busy with her volunteer work and her family. Next week is my week off. I have cardiac rehab on monday, wednesday and thursday. I also have an appointment with the sleep doc on thursday. I will drive to mom and dad's on friday. Mom and dad have not even called me about the date. The sister that went to Boston with me (Sandy) is who told me. I knew he was having one, but I didn't know when.

Debbie

Barbwil,

I plan on cooking a few meals and going shopping before I leave. Some of the church members will be more than glad to help. Most of the neighbors are not able to help because of there own issues. My parents will rarely ask for help. Most of the time mom can get up on her own, but there are times she needs help especially if she has minor injuries. Also I think mom is going to be afraid with all of this because she knows that she needs dad so much. She also will be afraid to ask him to help her in the next few weeks because she will not want him to get hurt. She also does not like her daughters to help her because she is suppose to help us, we are not suppose to help her.

Debbie

Debbie, The thought just came to me that perhaps this will be a chance for your mother to stretch herself and find she can do more for herself than she thought she could if she thinks she is saving your dad. Don't be afraid to use those church folk to help; aren't we supposed to "love others as we love ourselves"? I told someone I might have to go into the hospital for 72 hours to be started o n a new med. for afib and right away she said she and her husband would be glad to move in and take care of my husband. As it turned out the EP said she couldn't put me on that med. because of my kidney problems.

Praying all will go well with your dad and mom. It's tough to get old; it isn't for sissies!!!!!

Barbwil,

I plan on cooking a few meals and going shopping before I leave. Some of the church members will be more than glad to help. Most of the neighbors are not able to help because of there own issues. My parents will rarely ask for help. Most of the time mom can get up on her own, but there are times she needs help especially if she has minor injuries. Also I think mom is going to be afraid with all of this because she knows that she needs dad so much. She also will be afraid to ask him to help her in the next few weeks because she will not want him to get hurt. She also does not like her daughters to help her because she is suppose to help us, we are not suppose to help her.

Debbie

I had to laugh even tho it is not funny about your parents not liking to ask the kids for help, because they are supposed to be helping you. It sounds SO much like MY parents. I had to just about yell at my Dad (he lives 4 hours away) because he is in pretty good shape, but not AS good as he likes to think, he is 80, takes meds for Afib and has a few plates/pins in his one ankle from when he broke it about 25 years ago. There back yard is a HUGE hill, very steep, Justin actually snowboards down it. and I saw him at the top of it mowing when we were up for my Moms funeral. I told him it was fine to most the flat parts, but please let someone younger to the very top, either my Brother, who wouldn't have a problem, he just never realized how old Dad is since he lives close and sees him weekly, or one of the younger neighbors who Dad goes and snowblows their driveways before anyone is even awake in the winter. It never occurred to him, he knew it was tough for him (especially when he was going in the direction his bad ankle had all the weight) so would set a timer then keep taking 10 min breaks, walking up and down the hill, so it took quite a while for something that Don or my Brother could have done in 30 min.
But at least (for the most part) he ask for help with that now. But he is the first person to jump in if we need help with something. It can be frustrating..but what can you do?

Is your Dads microwave on a counter or over the stove? Justin's last surgery we had ours over the stove and noone thought about that until Justin went to use it. Luckily he is pretty tall so it isn't much of a reach for him, like it would be for me.

Your right Lyn, Dad moved the microwave over the stove just a couple of years ago. Maybe we can buy a cheep one and put it on the counter and then it can be donated after. Dad is 6 feet talk so I will see when I get there friday.

Barbwil,

I have also thought that this may help mom also. It will push her to do more. She will also enjoy being the one to help dad instead of the other way around.

Debbie

I agree with the call 911 if mom falls. Those guys don't mind!

Pre-made/frozen meals are great- I usually cook big batches and freeze my lunches. Soups, couscous with ground meat and sauteed veggies, chili, lasagna, all freeze and reheat well.

I was achy for the first week, and couldn't drive for 2 weeks post. 4 weeks on the arm lifting above shoulder and weight limit thing. If your dad can, it's easiest to button the shirt most of the way up, then pull it on overhead, rather than one-arming it on. That's the hardest part about dressing yourself.

Debbie,
At 78, your dad needs all the prayers, help, and healing he can possibly get. I realize you just had surgery yourself and are unable to take off work. Perhaps you can hire a home health care aide for your dad for a few weeks or so? Just a thought.
My mom is 75 soon and has an aneurysm. I live 6 hours away. My sisters and brothers live in the same town and one town away, yet I find I am the one most involved, by phone of course, in checking on her. I will tell you this...ask your Dad to sign a paper at the doctors that will allow you to talk to the doctor about his condition(s). This is imparative for you to get this so you can speak to them when your dad is unable to...after surgery, after you go back to work....etc., for your dad's health and your own piece of mind.

I just spoke with my dad. The pacemaker placement went fine. They gave him medicine so he wouldn't care what was happening. He said he could drive in a week and couldn't raise his left arm, but didn't say anything about lifting restrictions. I will be there tomorrow so I will find out everything for sure then.

Debbie

I'm here with my parents until sunday. The microwave over the stove is low enough that it will not be a problem. Dad is sore and tired, but ok. He did not sleep much in the hospital because his room mate dropped his blood sugar very low in the middle of the night and then they had to check on dad a couple of times. The incision looks good. I will take mom to the grocery store tomorrow and cook for them. Mom is scared of falling because "she does not want to add any more stress on dad". I think she is scared because she knows how dependent she is on him. I told them just to call 911 if she falls. I don't think either one of them liked that answer. They will get over it though.

Debbie

Back