My cardio resigned??? And a question?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katesmom1007

I got a call today that my cardiologist resigned yesterday. I had an appointment tomorrow! I am beside myself. It seems very abrupt for a doctor to resign so suddenly.

Luckily, I had already called Duke for a second opinion and I have an appointment next week. I just feel bad for the other patients who will be stranded......

I also have a question.....
Can thoracic aortic aneurysm of 4.5 cm cause chest pain?

That is disturbing that your cardiologist retired suddenly. That happened to my mother in law as well, and we were very upset. Found out he had had a heart attack.

Glad you had the insight to get a second opinion so,at least you are in line for an appointment.

It can be really upsetting to lose a physician you've come to depend on. I think it's even harder when you don't know the reason. The cardiologist I'd seen for 20-some years left the practice to become a hospitalist. Her patients were informed by letter several months in advance, and I still felt abandoned.

Your question about chest pain may be more important and worth following up with a medical professional. To get opinions here, you might want to post it as a separate thread to get the attentions of those who have had aneurisms.

Good luck in getting answers and going forward.

Oh no, don't you just hate that?!

I was left floundering when my cardiologist retired in 1999. He had been my cardio for about 25 years and I was heart-broken because I knew I would never find another one like him, and I haven't! I've gone through quite a few of them throughout the years and believe me, there are some real knuckle heads out there! Like the one that suggested I have my 4th OHS that is so high-risk, intravenously! Really?! How the heck are they going to take out and replace my mechanical mitral valve through my vein! Whoa Nellie....and he is a cardiologist?!

Check with your PCP or even with your surgeon to see who they recommend. That's what I finally had to do. Even though I have to travel to Houston every year for my Echo, I feel more confident and comfortable doing that then dealing with the doctors here.

Wishing you good luck in finding a good doctor. Maybe the Mayo???

Take care!

Note: My PCP prescribes my heart meds, lab work and routine EKG's. He keeps good tabs on me and knows that if the need arises, he can pick up the phone and call my doctors in TX for assistance. I feel more confident with him then any cardiologist here!

Last edited:
Oh no, don't you just hate that?!

I was left floundering when my cardiologist retired in 1999. He had been my cardio for about 25 years and I was heart-broken because I knew I would never find another one like him, and I haven't! I've gone through quite a few of them throughout the years and believe me, there are some real knuckle heads out there! Like the one that suggested I have my 4th OHS that is so high-risk, intravenously! Really?! How the heck are they going to take out and replace my mechanical mitral valve through my vein! Whoa Nellie....and he is a cardiologist?!

Check with your PCP or even with your surgeon to see who they recommend. That's what I finally had to do. Even though I have to travel to Houston every year for my Echo, I feel more confident and comfortable doing that then dealing with the doctors here.

Wishing you good luck in finding a good doctor. Maybe the Mayo???

Take care!

Note: My PCP prescribes my heart meds, lab work and routine EKG's. He keeps good tabs on me and knows that if the need arises, he can pick up the phone and call my doctors in TX for assistance. I feel more confident with him then any cardiologist here!

Actually I'm fairly new to all of this :0 I just found out about the BAV and aortic aneurysm in November 2013. I'm honestly still in the shocked phase..... I have already made an appointment with Duke which is about an hour and a half away. But I've considered getting another opinion at Cleveland Clinic. I'm 31 married with 4 kids, this is all new to me! I don't have time to be the patient!
Anyway, I'm glad you have a good PCP, I'm struggling with that too :/
Thanks for responding

After carefully reading your previous posts and threads, I'm glad that you already have an appointment pending at Duke. When is it scheduled for?

The symptoms you are describing need to be definitely addressed...the sooner the better! And I think it's very wise for you to also seek a 2nd opinion at Cleveland Clinic. They are the best so you can't go wrong by going there!

Take care and please let us know how things are going!

After carefully reading your previous posts and threads, I'm glad that you already have an appointment pending at Duke. When is it scheduled for?

The appointment is Tuesday April 22. I am eager to go. I need answers to the way I've been feeling. Thanks for your kind words. I will keep you updated :)

Sorry to hear about that Katesmom, but on the bright side I think you will find a cardiologist you will like at Duke. I have had both of my surgeries at Duke and have been followed by cardiologists at the Duke ACHD clinic (adults with congenital heart disease) since right after my first surgery. Duke is the 6th best heart hospital in the nation and I have built up a strong trust with them.

Heart Hospital Rankings: http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cardiology-and-heart-surgery

As far as chest pain with a 4.5cm aneurysm I would ask the cardiologist at Duke when you see him/her. I personally didn't have chest pain with my aneurysm and it was measured at 5.8cm right before my second surgery, but everyone is different. Good luck with your appointment!

Hi Kate,

Yes, I have been seen at the Duke ACHD clinic (adult congenital heart disease) since 2004 for followups on my replaced aortic valve. My particular surgeon also sees me for followups for my repaired ascending aorta (although not many surgeons do this...he follows his patients for life). The ACHD clinic uses a team approach, so I have seen several cardiologists there. The one I have seen the most often is Dr. Thomas Bashore who is the head of the ACHD department and the clinical chief of cardiology at Duke. I've also seen Dr. Cary Ward quite a bit (very good female cardio if interested) and Dr. Michael Camitta on several occasions. Dr. Bashore is nationally recognized as one of the best ACHD cardiologists in the nation.

Here is his Duke profile: http://cardiology.medicine.duke.edu/faculty/details/0112850

And here is a link to the main page of the ACHD clinic: http://www.dukemedicine.org/treatments/heart/adult-congenital-heart-disease

To see all of the doctors from the ACHD clinic, when you visit the link above ^ click on the blue doctors button on the right hand side of the page (can't seem to cut/paste the link correctly here).

Since you have a congenital BAV you will more than likely want to be seen at the ACHD clinic as they are experts in this area. The cardios there work closely with the Duke heart surgeons, so if/when they feel it's time for a consultation with a surgeon they will recommend one with the most expertise with your particular heart condition.

Let me know if I can help answer any other questions. Do you know who your upcoming appointment is with?

Hi Kate,

Yes, I have been seen at the Duke ACHD clinic (adult congenital heart disease) since 2004 for followups on my replaced aortic valve. My particular surgeon also sees me for followups for my repaired ascending aorta (although not many surgeons do this...he follows his patients for life). The ACHD clinic uses a team approach, so I have seen several cardiologists there. The one I have seen the most often is Dr. Thomas Bashore who is the head of the ACHD department and the clinical chief of cardiology at Duke. I've also seen Dr. Cary Ward quite a bit (very good female cardio if interested) and Dr. Michael Camitta on several occasions. Dr. Bashore is nationally recognized as one of the best ACHD cardiologists in the nation.

Here is his Duke profile: http://cardiology.medicine.duke.edu/faculty/details/0112850

And here is a link to the main page of the ACHD clinic: http://www.dukemedicine.org/treatments/heart/adult-congenital-heart-disease

To see all of the doctors from the ACHD clinic, when you visit the link above ^ click on the blue doctors button on the right hand side of the page (can't seem to cut/paste the link correctly here).

Since you have a congenital BAV you will more than likely want to be seen at the ACHD clinic as they are experts in this area. The cardios there work closely with the Duke heart surgeons, so if/when they feel it's time for a consultation with a surgeon they will recommend one with the most expertise with your particular heart condition.

Let me know if I can help answer any other questions. Do you know who your upcoming appointment is with?

Hi, I saw Dr Ward today. She was great. She listened. And answered all of my questions. I have def found my new cardiologist!
Thanks Ashley

Hi Ashley (not Kate LOL),

I'm glad you had a good experience at Duke! Dr. Ward is a great cardiologist. She really knows her stuff and is very personable as well.

Latest posts

Back