my 7 yr old with racing heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

yesterday we were outside and my 7 yr old was playing in the sand box. Nothing strenuous. She then came over and sat down next to me on the patio and looked a bit pale. I asked what was wrong and she said her heart was going really fast again. I felt her chest and it was going pretty fast, especially for just sitting like she was with no activity to bring it on. She said it feels like something is going to pop out of her chest. I asked if this has ever happened before and she said it happens quite often. I asked why she never told me and she said she was afraid that she would have to have surgery like I did.

She also stated that during recess when she doesn't want to play she will go sit on the bench but as soon as their is alot of people around her it starts racing and she feels scared. She also says that sometimes she gets dizzy.

A little history of her. She was born at 26 weeks (14 weeks early) and was very sick at birth. Was on a vent. for 1.5 months, then went to c-pap and then nasal cannula, had a PDA (whole in the heart that is supposed to close upon birth so that the blood circulates the correct way). That closed with meds and didn't have to do surgery. She spent 3 months in the hospital with really no other complications. Very lucky for that gestation. She did have another echo about 2 months after discharge and everything was fine and the cardiologist said she would not need to be seen again. She did end up in the hospital again with a severe case of bronchiolitis about 4 months after discharge.

I worry because of my history with Vtach and Atrial Fib. But also part of it sounds like panic attacks. What do you all think? I am going to make an appt with her Pediatrician and get her opinion to see if she thinks we need to have her seen by a cardio again.

Laura,
My oldest daughter was 6 when I had both of my OHS, now she is 8. She was born with a hole in her heart that didn't close up right away as it should have. She was monitored until she was 4, at which time I was told it had closed and she didn't have to be seen again. After my surgery she started talking about her heart, just like your daughter. It worried me, but I also suspected it might be anxiety b/c of what I went through. I took her to the dr.. just in case, who agreed with me. When it happened, though, I didn't dismiss it, I would tell her to lie down and relax, I guess treat her as if she was panicing. That seemed to help. She eventually stopped talking about it. You may want to consult with the dr., but I just wanted to share my experience.

Laura,
I can't really offer any advice, but what you are saying seems to make sense - maybe she is still anxious from watching you go through your surgery. What you said about her heart racing and being scared when there are a lot of people around seem to support that theory as well. I would definitely take her to the pediatrician though, to be on the safe side, to put your mind at rest if nothing else.
Let us know what you find out.
I wish things were easier for you these days!

Melissa

I echo what the others have said. She may be anxious & scared of what happened to mommy but to be on the safe side, make an appt with your PCP.

Good luck & I hope you are doing better! :)

Laura:

As others have said, it could be an anxiety attack.

HOWEVER, you mentioned that your daughter appeared to be pale. I'm not sure that accompanies an anxiety attack.

Definitely get it checked out.

It may make you feel better if you take her to a Ped. Cardio. Maybe they could do a 24 hr. Holter Monitor to check for rhythm problems. I agree that this is probably anxiety related but given her history and genetics, it could be beneficial to check to be sure that their isn't some type of cardiac abnormality.

Laura -

Do you have a Stethoscope?

If not, it would probably be a good idea to pick up at least an inexpensive model (pharmacy, medical supply store, even Walmart) so that you can listen to and characterize arrhythmias (either yours or your daughters). It even comes in handy as an easy way to count Heart Rate.

'AL Capshaw'

Laura,

As others said, better be safe than sorry, even though I believe your daughter may be reacting to what you went and is going through. When my first sister got married and went out of state, I was six years old. After a few weeks of not seeing her, I became very sick and I even developed some fever. When the doctor asked me if I missed my sister, I cried and cried....it was all emotional as I was scared that I would not be seeing her again. I very well remember how everyone reassured me about reseeing her, made me talk to her on the phone, and then I became fine in no time.

This could very well be panic attacks but, as the mother of a heart baby, I say have her checked. If she seemed pale, there may be more to it. The symptoms you are describing along with exhaustion, chest pain, and later on headache are exactly what my son has been dealing with. But he doesn't usually have it while at rest. Try getting a baseline resting heart rate on her if you can. I know it's hard to do on kids because they wiggle so much. That way, if it happens again, you have something to check it against. I don't think you should worry too much yet but definitely see her pediatrician.

Hope it's nothing! Probably is.

Latest posts

Back