My 1st Anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevgi

Today marks 1 year since I received my new aortic valve. It's been life changing in a lot of ways but mostly positive. After smoking for 30 years, I stopped before my surgery because my cardiologist said I would have a much easier recovery if I did. I had wanted to stop smoking for years but never was successful until last year. I wanted to participate in exercise groups but never did until this year. Now I exercise 6 days a week with a personal trainer and I've joined a group of ladies doing low impact aerobics m-f. The only thing that bothers me is the PVCs. I still have them and some days are worse than others. I don't let them stop me from exercising or doing what I want to do but I was really hopeful that they would not return after surgery. Last week I had my first echo since surgery and the cardiologist has informed me that I have normal cardiac and valve function. All things considered, the surgery I had a year ago was a blessing and I'm so thankful I've done so well. :smile2:

Oh, I hear you on those PVCs. They really bother me, but I 'm glad that you are working through yours.
Congrats on your 1st valversary and enjoy many more !
And most importantly, congrats on quitting smoking; my husband also quit after 30 years of it. YAY :)

Congratulations! I think the 1st anniversary is the most memorable! Congratulations on the no smoking and the workouts 6 days a week! I can only make myself workout 3 days a week. So WOW! You should be proud of yourself.

Thanks everyone! Last year before the surgery, I couldn't even imagine being where I am now. I was always afraid to try any aerobics before my surgery and now I figure I've been given a second chance to be healthy and I'm doing everything in my power. I was walking outside 2 hours a day but when it got too hot to walk outside, I joined the group at work doing it and I love it so much that I've started doing extra sessions at home.
I'm hoping all of this will lead to a many healthy years for my valve and me. :)

HAPPY VALVERSARY

highs.gif
congrats.gif
highs.gif

Well, I hit a bump in the road. My echo report came back and Cardiologist said I have normal heart function and the valves look good. While at my primary care doctor for routine follow up, I asked if I would be able to tell the difference between a regular pvc and a dangerous rhythym. Since I have so many pvcs, I just wondered what was the difference. The Dr didn't answer my question but said 'let's do an ekg and see what's happening.' The ekg showed I was having a lot of pvcs so he sent me for a 24 hour holter last week. He suggested I back off on my exercising and do light exercise until they figure this out. I haven't seen the cardiologist yet but I received a voice mail message from primary Dr that the holter report shows I was having an abnormal rhythym and palpitations. I called back but could not get anyone to return my calls for over 24 hours. I called my Cardiologist's office and no one could see me for 2 months!!! When I said I did not feel comforrtable waiting 2 months to see the Dr, she told me to go to the ER. I called back and spoke with the office manager who apologized for how I was treated and made me an appointment with the Cardiologist's Assistant monday since none of the Cardiologists can see me. In the meantime, she had the EP review my Holter and he said he did not see anything that he felt was life threatening, just PVCs. I've had PVCs for as long as I can remember so I was not particularly alarmed when the Dr wanted to do the Holter but I'm shocked at the way both of my doctors office staff have handled this. I've been so stressed since all of this started 3 weeks ago that I'm having PVCs all the time now.

Back