murmur 6 months post-op?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilldreamin

i haven't been on here in quite a while.. i try to keep up with everyone, but don't like to post much. i've had a problem with depression and other little issues, and i'm tired of hearing about it myself so haven't felt much like sharing.

but i am in need of your advice and experience yet again. this is where i turn when i need to.

i haven't had much luck with post-op care. so for my 6 month anniversary i made an appointment with my family doctor to check in and complain about a few issues, like exhaustion, not sleeping, and blue feet occasionally when i'm sitting or standing... usually sitting. (elevating fixes this)
she checked me over and my lungs are clear.. but when she checked my heart she was shocked to find a murmur. i don't know if its a new one or the old one... i was shocked too. she had me listen to it too... yup, its definitely there.. quite loud too.. (i would say a 3). it wasn't there a few weeks ago when i checked into cardiac rehab. it wasn't there when i had my echo 12 weeks post op.

i'm waiting to hear back from her.. she's going to get me in for another echo and i think she's going to contact my cardiologist. i'm not sure whether this is normal or not... i don't suspect it is, but how much should i worry?
thank you so much for always being there.

jen

ps.. i wasn't sure where to post this, so fully expect you may move it to the right place ross... thanks..

Best to see your cardiologist and have an echo. If warranted, you may need a TEE.

I have perivalvular regurgitation around the mitral valve. Not sure if it causes a murmur. Had a TEE in Aug 2007 and another one on June 23, 2009, because of this. Not sure if what your PCP heard could be regurge around your AV.

As long as my regurge doesn't increase, I'm OK.

Jen,
Sorry to hear that you are going through this and I really hope everything turns out fine. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this. situation Good luck and do keep us posted.

Hi there,
Hope you are feeling better soon. I have a murmur post op too, but then the dr and the post op ct both confirmed that I still had pulmonic issues after my aortic valve replacement and aneurysm. So yes, it does happen. Is there a reason to be concerned? I have regular echoes, so me and the cardio are keeping our eyes on it. Depression? I am the queen of chemical imbalance...so I may be a bit jaded, but I've had it before, during and after my heart surgery, so I may not be a good one to ask, but I try to find something positive in the everyday...even if its just a tiny thing. PM me anytime.
Regards,

Hi Jen, try (if you can) not to get too anxious or too worried before you see your cardiologist or surgeon. Hope they have a better explanation of what is going on. As Marsha said, it might be regurgitation which has to be monitored and in most cases it never worsesn. I personally felt great after 2 months of surgery, but felt exhausted and fatigued after six months for about three months.

As for depression, it is very normal to hit us after such a surgery. If it is too much or wearing you out, I would take advantage of anti-depressants until you pass the recovery period.

Keep us posted.

With my prayers.

Hi Jen, I don't know about being worried, but certainly be concerned and follow up on this. The echo is a good idea, it seems odd that your general doctor is ordering it instead of your cardiologist. Make sure your cardiologist checks you over to give his/her opinion about the murmur and the "blue feet" and what to do. I think it's important for whomever interprets your echo to be familiar with your murmur. Depression is also a serious matter, especially if it is something that you have had in the past, the surgery and associated issues can make that worse. Depression can cause sleeplessness, exhaustion and withdrawal from associating with other people. Please keep us posted as you go along.

my family doctor ordered it because i'm no longer being followed by anyone else. i had one appointment with my cardiac surgeon post-op (at 12 weeks) and thats it... i have a million questions and no one to ask them to. needless to say i'm quite disappointed. i'll continue to push for care as best i can. at least i have a good family doctor.
the depression is something i thought i'd be over by now. i've dealt with it once before post-partum, but not like this. outwardly i try to stay positive and appear happy... inside i'm a mess.
i've not heard back from anyone about my new murmur... so again, if they aren't concerned, why should i be? i just wish sometimes i could have answers to my questions, or at least someone i could ask. its frustrating and sometimes scary not knowing whats happening, and what i should and shouldn't be concerned about.

My local GP also orders my Echos, that's fine since my long time cardio is in Quebec.
I suppose that now I will have my GP refer me to a local cardio for those "extra" concerns that may come up.

Hi Jen, Sorry to hear that your still not feeling up to par, but you and your body have been through alot. Try not to worry alot about the murmur, I had one before surgery and have one now. It is'nt as strong as before surgery but it's still there.My cardio monitors it with the Echo's. It really does'nt matter who has you do the Echo just as long as your Cardio gets the infor and sees you about it , not just the GP. Keep us posted on what's going on we love hearing from you and pray all go's well. Take Care.

What matters a lot about your echo is who reads and interprets it. Most GP's are not qualified. You need a very good cardio to read it. Of course, the quality of the tech is also very important.

Why don't you have a cardiologist? :confused: Do you think your GP should refer you to one?

Best wishes. I sincerely hope you get the very best care and someone to answer all your questions.

Jen,

I am 4 weeks post op from AVR. I saw my own cardio yesterday he too heard a slight murmur. He didn't seem concerned and I guess I didn't think to ask. When I went for my hospital check up last week and saw the cardio there she didn't mention a word about the murmur. I guess I'll ask the next time I see my own cardio in 3 months. May I ask why you don't have your own cardio doctor? Good luck to you. I hope you can get over the depression.

Latest posts

Back