Multiple Operations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's several months since I've posted anything, but I've been waiting a long time to see Dr Tirone David in Toronto. I saw him yesterday and I'm glad that I followed the advice of several people on the forum who said that I needed to get a second opinion.

I still need a third operation, but I can pick the time and it should be the last operation.

Thanks to all for your help.

Jim

I'm SO GLAD you consulted with Dr. David. He is a World Class Surgeon, one of the "Best of the Best" from all I have seen / read about him.

Out of curiosity, what kind of valve did he recommend?
(I'm betting mechanical since he said it would be the last one you should need :)

Did you get answers to the other questions ?
(such as how /when did the aneurism develop?
(Do you have a connective tissue disorder?
(Why did the first valves fail?

'AL Capshaw'

Russel,

I believe the surgeon owes you a complete and candid explaination of what has occured with your heart. It's impossible to make decisions based on a part of the story.

Welcome and hang tough. We are the stewards of the bodies God gave to us.

I was wondering if there are other people in my situation. In January 2006 I had the aortic valve replaced with a mechanical one. In May of the same year there was an aneurism found next to the valve and it was replaced by a different model. However that valve failed to maintain a tight fit and there's regurgitation happening again. My cardiologist says it will have to be replaced as well and this time the surgent wants to use a freeze dried human valve.

Has something like this happened to others?

Hello Russell,

I too have been thru multiple surgeries & I face a 4th OHS in the near future.

My first two surgeries were in 1975 for double-valve implants, mitral & aortic. Six months later after my 1st surgery, I had to go back & they did emergency surgery to resew the mitral valve because some of the sutures had worked themselves loose. (I went thru a very stressful & emotional roller coaster right after my first surgery which in the surgeon's opinion was the reason I had to have the 2nd OHS).

Then in 2006, I had to have the 3rd OHS to "swap" out the old 31-year old aortic valve with a new St. Jude but the surgeon decided NOT to replace the 31-yr old mitral valve. Well, guess what? A year later, the mitral valve starts malfunctioning & I am on the sidelines for a 4th & more terrifying surgery that all of them put together!!! :eek:

I went thru a period of "blaming" the surgeon for my predicament & wondered why in the "HELL" he didn't replace that valve too being that he was already in there?! Only answer I got, was that it would have been tooo risky to do both! And you & I know, that the surgeons & the doctors involved, will never own up to the fact that they SCREWED UP!!!

So what NOW?! I've already been told that the surgeons don't even want to touch me because it's too high risk! :mad: I'm wondering now, if I wouldn't stand a better chance for a "heart transplant"??

I wish you nothing but the best & I hope things get resolved with you so that you can go on with your life. My prayers & thoughts are with you!

Good to hear from you and especially good to hear you consulted with Dr. David. I've read so many good things about him.

Is he saying mechanical valve, bovine, homograft?? What is his recommendation?
Very sorry to hear you will need still another surgery but happy you have gotten another opinion from a top surgeon.

Good to hear from you Jim. Don't be a stranger and be sure to let us know when you have a surgery date so we can be part of your successful surgery and uneventful recovery.

A more complete version of what's going on.

A more complete version of what's going on.

The version of my surgeon is that my heart has rejected the valve where it comes in contact with the dacron sleeve, that I have some kind of allergy to dacron. I have no other allergies. Because of this supposed allergy he wants to replace the mechanic valve with a freeze dried human one because there's no dacron. (even with pig valves there's a dacron sleeve)

Dr. David's take on things is that there's no such thing as an allergy to dacron; that my problem with both operations stems from an infection of which they found evidence after both operations. I was treated with some pretty strong anti-biotics for six weeks after each operation (I was on home IV and had a nurse come every day to change the bags).

Dr David feels that the infection is over and that another operation should be the last.

As for what kind of valve, when I asked he said I could have any kind that I wanted but at my age a mechanical valve made more sense. He didn't recommend a particular kind.

He did say that I had to take care of all the other medical problems that I've put on the back burner. I need a liver biopsy, a root canal. I need to keep in touch with my urologist, my respirologist and my sleep doctor. I sound like a basket case don't I? But I actually feel pretty good. (except when I'm depressed about this whole thing) I took my family to France last summer and I even climbed to the first level of the Eiffel Tower (stopping a lot on the way).

I'm going to talk to my cardiologist and the surgeon soon. I'm not interested in blame. I could blame the doctor who told me as a teenager that I had a murmur but not to worry about it, or my GP in the 80's who didn't hear anything wrong even when I told him that my heart seemed to be beating differently. Or myself for not insisting more. Frankly I think my surgeon will be happy to pass my file to Dr David.

Once I take care of all the minor problems I'll go to Toronto for the operation.

Thanks again for all your advice. I hope that I've answered all your questions

Jim

Good Luck

Good Luck

Wow, what an amazing story! Good on you for being proactive in getting a second opinion and going straight to the best surgeon. Do let us know when your surgery is, and I wish you the very best of luck. I agree with you no point in blame, as whats done is done, we need our energies to focus on now, so its onwards and upwards for you.

Since you indicated you want mechanical, you may want to take a look at the On-X valve which is the 'latest and greatest' in mechanical valve technology. They were introduced to the World Market in 1996 and the USA in 2001. See www.onxvalves.com and www.heartvalvechoice.com Several of our members have them and seem quite pleased with the results.

Latest posts

Back