muga scan

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha 1

has anyone ever had a muga scan with the teknesium dye which is radioactive, because their ejection fraction went down after surgery i am so upset radiation scares me so bad will someone have adverse effects from it does it cause cancer, is there anything else they can do to check on the ejection fraction that is safer. please some one respond if you can losing it here.
alpha 1

bicuspid boy pretty well summed that up.

I had one. Takes a long time, but other then that, no ill effects.

Can you tell us what is happening up there? We are in the dark for the most part out here.

MUGA survivor here too, but before my surgery.

Nothing to it really. I can say I don't need to turn on a light when I want to check the time due to the glow now--------------------JUST KIDDING!!!!!! :rolleyes: ;) :p :p :p

The MUGA was the test that finally proved to them that it was my heart that was giving me SOB not a lung problem.

You will do fine.

May God Bless,

Danny :)

after a fwe rounds of chemo, a few pet scans and a couple of muga scans...the tri-state airport calls on me to help bring planes in on rainy nights. what doesn't kill ya only makes ya brighter.

I have had MANY muga scans... So far, so good (knock on wood). The most annoying part is laying still for so long. But if you're not too uncomfortable, it's a nice nap. ;) (unfortunately it's impossible to read a book while laying there!)

alpha 1 said:
has anyone ever had a muga scan with the teknesium dye which is radioactive, because their ejection fraction went down after surgery i am so upset radiation scares me so bad will someone have adverse effects from it does it cause cancer, is there anything else they can do to check on the ejection fraction that is safer. please some one respond if you can losing it here.
alpha 1

Alpha-

Your posts suggest that you are having an inordinately hard time dealing with your son's surgery.

He is at the Highest Rated Heart Hospital in the Country, maybe the world, and received the services of one of their most experienced and respected surgeons. They KNOW how to take care of him and get him well enough to go home.

Remember, EVERY member here on VR.com is either a SURVIVOR or family member of a Survivor of Valve Replacement Surgery. It is the BEGINNING of a New Lease on Life, NOT the END.

The BEST way for you to help him is to get control of yourself and take care of YOURSELF (eat right, sleep well) so that you will have the energy to be there for him, especially when it is time for him to go home.

My recommendation to you is to see (or at least call) YOUR Primary Care Physician, tell him what you are experiencing, and ask for some help (probably a Prescription, maybe Counciling) dealing with your STRESS and ANXIETY.

Please take care of Yourself so that you will be fit and able enough to take care of your son when he goes home.

'AL Capshaw'

thanks

thanks

thanks everyone for your response, i have been really going through a hard time with all of this since it started and i appreciate everyone you guys have always helped me so much. the surgery was just more than what we expected, but who knows until they go in there. the ejection fraction is very low and when he went in it was 50 to 55 which is what it has been from when we found it. now after surgery it is fluctuating between 40 and 20 and i dont know in what order has anyone else had this problem after surgery, and has it gotten better with time, dr p said that he would be fine that it would
take a few months to get down to the size it should be or pretty close to it, so i dont know, i am a wreck, and i probibly do need some type of medication.
someone please respond about this i am going nuts and i can only get to this computer every once in a while. thanks also everyone for comforting me a-
bout the muga thing. all this is new we never had any problems so is real
hard to deal.
alpha 1

What happened during surgery? He couldn't get it fixed? Did he get another valve? I guess start from teh beginning, slowly when you can and give us the history so far. Were guessing at what's going on and that's not good.

i just posted about the ejection fractions and he is still on the oxygen #1 only because the blood oxygen level wasnt all that great for awhile. his hands
and feet feel really cold and are very pale he is walking some the ekg thing on the wall looks good and the heart rate is normal usually 80 something, it is just the fraction is somewhat off and i am worried, also the heart enlarged a-
nother cm before surgery kind of fast but has anyone ever had a heart size bigger than an 8 before and were they ok. just from what the drs said before the surgery like it is so routine and they do it all the time and everything will be ok. so maybe it will just take time to get back up there, do you guys think.

From what I gather so far, it sounds like a normal surgery. We try to make sure your ready before you go in and see everything. Apparently that didn't happen here. Honestly though, seems on par given the circumstances. :) If he's walking around a bit, he'll be getting better pretty quickly. It takes that excercise to get all the anesthesia out of the system.

what do you guys think about the ejection fraction though, has anyone ever had that problem?
alpha

Heart Size and Time

Heart Size and Time

Dear Alpha, One thing I can reassure you about: Before I had OHS at 29 my heart had literally doubled in size. One year after, at my check up with the surgeon, he was jumping for joy and shouting "You've got to see this!" He showed me the x-rays from before surgery, and that day. It was back to normal! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Wish I'd had the sense to get the x-rays, but it is true. I would think kids would do even better. Take care, Brian Mc

I don't remember what my ejection fraction was prior to my surgery or after (too long ago). But the heart takes some time to get in the swing of things. A few people seem to bounce back quickly, but most people the recovery is a slow process measured in days, weeks and months not minutes and hours.

Al C is right - he's in the best place he could be in. He is in very good hands. And I echo the others that say you need to make sure you are getting your rest and are staying as calm as possible. Adam needs good vibes. If he's seeing a lot of fear from you it will not help his recovery and the mind plays a significant role in recovery. He needs to believe that his Mother believes he will get better. And Dr. Pettersson has said he would.

The people at the hospital are caring for him now, so now is the time for you to pace yourself and get rest. When he gets home you will need lots of energy to care for him in the first few weeks.

I'm thinking of the quote in Dennis S's signature "You say you will believe it when you see it. Perhaps you will not see it until you believe it. Dewitt Jones, National Geographic Photographer"

Time to start believing that Adam is on the road to a great recovery, for I think you'll then begin to see that he is recovering nicely.

Keeping you both in my prayers.

Janice,

You need to know that while Valve Replacement is Major Surgery, it is a Highly Refined Art with extremely High Success Rates (only 1% risk of morbidity and 1% risk of mortality for first timers) vs. almost certain death if he had NOT had surgery.

You also need to take comfort in that Dr. Pettersson is one of the "Best of the Best" Heart Surgeons in the World! If HE says your son will do OK, you can take that to the bank.

You also need to know that it takes a L O N G T I M E for the Heart to remodel if it was enlarged before surgery. This can be many Months to a YEAR or so. It never goes as fast as we would like, BUT, we get better and go on living our lives.

Now, as everyone has said, Get Some Rest so that YOU can be there for your son. He needs to see a POSITIVE Face from you and to know that YOU believe he will be OK. If you need some anti-anxiety medication, please ASK for it. I'm sure 'your' Doctor(s) will be glad to help.

'AL Capshaw'

muga scan

are you guys sure the muga scan doesnt cause leukemia or cancer or anything like that? I mean we are having enough problems.

I doubt very much that this type of test would be so widely used if it were known to cause such things. Don't forget that there are certain cancers where radioactive pellets are used to kill the cancer. Radiation use has become very sophisticated and highly controlled in medical testing and treatment.

If you ask me, be thankful for the 'problem' you have. It is fixable and it IS fixed from what I can tell. Don't be worrying about things that don't exist in your son's case......i.e., leukemia, etc. In the medical field, there is a risk vs benefit ratio and the muga scan benefit far outweighs any risk if there is one at all.
RELAX. BE HAPPY.

Open Heart Survivor
Lymphoma Survivor
Muga Scan Survivor
Chemo Survivor
Survivor Survivor Survivor

Latest posts

Back