Muffling Your Mechanical Heart Valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantabodylikeme

Hi there,

Wasn't sure where this question belonged, so I opted for this section.

I'm Jake and I'm somewhat new here (I've been a lurker). I had an operation last May after a bout I had with endocarditis that damaged my aortic valve to the point of needing replacing. I was 28 when I had it done, so I chose the mechanical heart valve. I've gotten used to the 'ticking' noise so this isn't really a regular issue for me. My only problem is I'm a film student and an audio guy to be specific, and on sets it needs to be as quiet as possible. I haven't been on a set yet since my surgery, but I have a feeling that it's loud enough to be heard when the camera is on and we're shooting. Because of this, I need to find a way to lessen or muffle the ticking sounds as much as possible.

Any suggestions on doing this? I was thinking about getting a patch of memory foam and placing it on my chest then wrapping an ACE bandage around it to see if it helps. I assume there aren't actual vests out there for this specific problem, which is strange considering the amount of people with mechanical heart valves. My girlfriend jokingly said to get a bulletproof vest since it would be practical and badass lol

Hahaha wow this is something l have not yet considered . Hmmm l am new here to like a creeper. Lol Glad you are doing what you love and l guess we have to do what we have to do .. maybe there is something. I am shocked to learn they are that loud. Yikes.. nothing l hate worse than a ticking noise. Hope you find the answer .. l am waiting for two valves .. l hope atleast the are timed the same lol

Do you have a walk-in closet?
If so, get your girlfriend to be about 3 feet away from you and see if she can hear it.
Can you do a 'dry' run at the studio and see if anyone can hear you?

Hi

I do ambient bushrecordings and aand have a Sony PC-M10 and a Zoom H1. I have tested these and find that in out sound studio at work I can hear the tick ONLY if I stand in front or one of the mics and I am 20cm or less from the recorder. I also need the gain so ramped up so as to mean quiet speech maxes out (peaks) the VU's

I think that in any kInd of normal recording you will be fine

Like Freddie suggested, try it.

PS a sample of the birds

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr7krw9k9x...raween-001.mp3

@ wantabodylikeme: time to bulk up and gain weight :) Maybe that will muffle it.....there are alot of varying takes on how loud a valve is. I only really hear mine when I'm laying on my side in bed. Maybe some extra clothing?Do a dry run and see how loud it is...
T

Don't forget what our late resident guru Ross used to say, "The ONLY time I worry about the sound of my mechanical valve is when it stops ticking."

Seriously, can it really be that loud, and are the mics that sensitive? I do a lot of amateur radio work, and the microphones we use couldn't hear t mechanical heart valve if it was inside them!

Also, do your microphones have extreme sensitivity that high up in the frequency range?

I can make a cell-phone recording of my ticking in a room with no carpet.
The position i sit while driving my car bounces the sound of the windshield right back at me - no matter how loud i turn up the radio, I can hear myself. The passenger cannot hear it though.
Sometimes, other people can hear me when I cannot hear myself.
My sister could NOT hear me, even when using a stethoscope.
I can't sneak up behind my husband - he can always hear it.
I'm ok with it. Soothing? Yeah, I can see that :)

Well, that's a dilemma! The clicking used to keep me awake and I had to use my earplugs and listen to my I Pod to fall asleep. I became complacent with the sound and didn't realize it was diminishing in volume until it reached the point of being non existent. This was only picked up by a routine echo. I had a clot on the hinge of a valve that kept it from closing. Lesson learned is that I will listen on a regular basis. I had seen multiple doctors and none picked it up. Please keep listening to ensure your click is clicking!!!!!

As long as you are not recording under water you should be ok, (for some reason, I can always hear and feel my valve much louder when snorkeling).
Makes we want to break out thel WD-40 and take a shot!

Back