Much ado about nothing - Go to the back of the line

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXWildflower

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I am frustrated, relieved and a little angry over a sequence of events over the last few months that I wondered if anyone else had experienced or had something similar. I have AS and am in the waiting room. The consensus is that it is congenital, but not sure if BAV. Annual checkups with cardio for last 10 yrs always were the same – no real change, come back next yr until the one in June. Now there has been significant change, the Aortic Valve Area (AVA) was now .87 cm2 (severe) down from prior year’s 1.2 cm2. I was interrogated about symptoms and could only recall being very fatigued and had SOB on exercise and a couple of dizzy spells.

He decided he wanted a stress echo and so we did that. At the visit to go over results. Dr. told me at about 145 bpm they stopped it as it started going bad at that point. My arms also went numb. We started the surgery discussion and I was talking like 2010 and he said ‘Why wait so long?’. Now I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach I know many of you have experienced… here we go it is time. I had a trip planned in Sept. to the Caribbean Island of St. Lucia to visit an old friend and was strongly urged to cancel that, but then he decided to do a L/R heart cath and have that be the deciding factor. So did that in early August. I recall seeing cardio for a few minutes after the procedure ( he did it as well) , but a surgeon (I had never met but heard of) stopped by to tell me my AS was borderline severe and to lose 40 lbs and we’d go from there. (And billed me for the pleasure…) They’d follow me monthly he said. He didn’t say it out right, but led me and my sister to believe that losing the weight was the main pre-requisite for surgery. So I figured early 2010 maybe and immediately started dieting like a fiend (I needed to anyway – talk about motivation).

I met with PA to get heart cath results (should have insisted on Dr.) and found out the AVA was more like 1.02 cm2 to 1.2 cm2. Also LV was hyperdynamic so they put me on 25 mg of metoprolol. However, she still nixed the idea of the trip, so I sadly canceled it. Told me to come back in Sept. for echo. I asked if it was a good idea to start talking with surgeons and she said yes.

So I had the echo in Sept. and then appt with cardio to go over results. He set me on edge to start, with a comment of ‘What can I do for you’? What the hell?? He has over the last few months set my whole world on its ear and he wants to know what he can do for me? I reminded him I was there for the results of my echo. This one shows AVA of 1.4 cm2. Huh??

I asked if he thought that the echo that showed the .87cm2 AVA was just a bad test or what? His response was I shouldn’t focus so much on the numbers but whether it is Moderate, severe, etc.. I asked if it had to be a certain ‘bad ‘ before Insurance would pay for surgery and he said ‘He didn’t think so’. I did know full well from reading this forum that at least a surgeon thought it had to be a certain ‘bad’ before they would do it. I told him about symptoms all of which apparently were mostly the result of the metoprolol and the fact that the PA took me off of my thyroid (T3) medicine my last visit, after talking with a pharmacist. He was surprised about that and said that normally he wouldn’t mess with orders from other Dr.s, unless absolutely necessary, but then did mumble that it was a stimulant. He said that one day I would need to have that valve replaced and it was like deja vu! I lost it and said I’ve known that for 10 years – but you had given me the impression it would be soon and now you have my ‘grounded’ too. I told him I had appts with two surgeons he had recommended over the next couple of weeks. He sensed my anxiety and desire to get this over with and he said he would talk with them. He said he'd see me in Feb. (so much for monthly - but ok by me.)

The surgeon I saw this week (Dr. Steven Dewan in Austin, TX). I liked him very much. He told me frankly that it wasn’t time. On avg. the AVA decreases .1 cm2 per year so it could be 1 to 2 yrs to 7 yrs – who could say. He answered a ton of questions for me very patiently though and showed me the selection of the latest valves, so not a wasted visit. He told me since it wasn’t time, he didn’t think my life should be restricted and I should go on about living it basically – except again don’t do anything too strenuous. Pretty much what I was doing until that echo in June.

Now that was a long tale of woe from a whiney girl who hasn’t really been through anything serious yet, but has anyone else had the results of their echoes vary so much in the size of the AVA? I know getting a good tech is paramount to getting the best views/angles. I had a different tech each time. I recall distinctly the tech who did the echo that came out .87cm2 complained the whole time about the machine. It was new and buttons were in different places she said. Maybe I'll ask if I could have the same one each time - does that make sense?

My cardiologist is well respected at the Austin Heart Hospital and by the surgeon I saw, but I can‘t help but wonder if I shouldn’t put my trust in someone else. It seems to me that I have been put through a lot of anxiety for nothing - not to mention expense. I find myself pretty much right where I have been and that visit in June should have still been a ‘see you next year’ had it not been for that .87cm2 echo result. Maybe this is just the way the cookie crumbles….

I have now re-scheduled my St. Lucia visit for around New Year’s (Only reserved at this point). Is this trip a risky idea now given my latest status? I don’t know what my cardio would say – I’m not sure I am going to ask. Granted, St. Lucia doesn’t have the best medical facilities and Dr.s in that part of the world, but I’m not going to go diving or do anything too strenuous. Maybe some snorkeling, but mostly lying on the beach and relaxing. :cool: I won’t be climbing the Pitons I can guarantee you that! :eek:

It has been a real emotional roller coaster, but I feel now like a big weight has been lifted. I am in no big hurry to join the OHS club (but y'alll are a fun group) – but this sitting around and waiting was driving me crazy. Do the surgery or cut me loose... I couldn't plan anything. It is still lurking out there for some time in the future, but I feel like I have been given a reprieve and I guess I should just be happy with that. Plus I have more time to get those 40 lbs off (see y’all in the throwdown – I’m keeping at that part of the plan :)). I also feel better now that the Metoprolol has been cut in half. I’ve decided to keep the appt I have next week with the second surgeon (in the same practice – a little awkward.) although he is likely to tell me the same thing. He is the one who stopped by when I had my heart cath - Dr. John Oswalt.(Maybe I'll tell him he could stand to lose a few pounds himself!:) He is well known for the Ross procedure and I’d like to hear what he has to say. I’ve been told I am a candidate for that –(at 56?)

It was a long one – sorry - but sure feels better to put my heart on my sleeve so to speak and any feedback/comments are appreciated.

Rhena

I can really understand your frustration ... it seems you are being jerked around ... waiting is hard but being told go, stop, go, stop is just nuts ... I hope you get some definitive answers soon... if you feel like going on your trip, go ... if you feel like doing something, do it... best:)

I can understand why you are upset, especially after canceling your plans once already. Like the others, I agree if you want to go, I would providing you feel ok. Hope all this gets straightened out for you.

Echoes are notorious for their inaccuracies. They are so dependent on tech ability, and it sounds as if at least one of your techs was either not familiar with the machine they were using, or didn't know what they were doing. It sounds to me like your echoes were not accurate at all.

Caths are a much better test for correct numbers, and that is probably why you are having doctors giving you different answers.

Tech ability is paramount in an echo. We insisted that Joe have ONLY the most experienced tech in the one hospital, and if she wasn't available the day he was scheduled, we switched the appt. It was that important. However, even she had trouble viewing all of his valves. There were shadows and other "artifacts" which made proper viewing impossible. I don't think he ever got an echo that showed all of his valve functions, even with the most experienced tech.

Echoes are used because they are non-invasive. But for definite answers, caths are the best.

I went through annual checks for many years without anything showing up on test results.

When my symptoms started they came on rapidly over the course of about nine months. I got to a point where I really couldn't function due to the chronic fatigue and shortness of breath. At that point my cardiologist suggested that I have my surgery within three months to reduce the risk of doing any other damage to the heart. I actually had the surgery two days later. It was fortunate that I was able to get it done so soon - they discovered during my surgery that I had developed some enlargement of my left ventricle that had not shown up in any of my prior testing.

Repeating advice in previous posts, my suggestion would suggest you keep leading your life as normal until either test results or your symptoms clearly indicate that surgery is necessary.

Mark

Of course we don't know about any other health issues that you may have, but basically if it's just for the aortic valve issue, there's no reason to cancel the trip.

I went to Cozumel only a month before my first AVR. My cardio didn't have anything against the trip, but he said if I went snorkelling or diving, I could very well die due to holding my breath and pressures. I had a grand time snorkelling, and was free diving between thirty and forty feet a good percentage of the time. (No, I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it, but the point is that some cardiologists - not mine - are extremely overprotective, and would have you wear a helmet and knee pads, if they thought they could talk you into it.)

Now for the caveats...

- The trip would not be good if it were to higher elevations. Obviously, you are going to an island that is mostly very close indeed to sea level.

- The snorkelling isn't as dangerous as usually put forward, but it would probably be smart to avoid it.

- Do take it easy on the trip, which sounds like your intention anyway.

The numbers do mean something. If your valve area is under 1 cm² and you have the symptoms you descibe, it would be labeled as severe by many doctors. They should get together and decide which of those numbers is the one they believe to be accurate, and go from there. They've left a confusing trail for themselves to follow next time you show up. They owe you a definitive valve area number.

The "excess you" is probably worsening the shortness of breath and dizziness, so you may be able to improve the quality of your waiting time (and later recovery time) by starting that diet and some mild walking exercise a little earlier, rather than later. I realize that's easier for me to say than for you to do, but it's still likely the case, and I hope you consider it.

Best wishes,

Rhena,
If you're asking as to whether you should go to St. Lucia or not -- I say "go" and never look back. Have fun, enjoy life and listen to your docs.

*pssssst* boy old tobagotwo sure doesn't have any body fat if he can free-dive 30-40 feet..:eek:

I'm surprised that no one ordered a TEE which supposedly gives 'better images' of the valve.

FWIW, there was a discrepancy between my Echo and Cath before my AVR. One Cardio wanted me to have surgery ASAP with a Local Surgeon.

A second thought he could get 3 to 5 years with medication. ONE year later, my symptoms were becoming more noticable AND the Cath and Echo were almost identical at 0.8 and 0.9 cm sq.

Cardio #2 recommended a Surgeon at University Hospital. By the time I got there 2 months later, it was JUST IN TIME.

We have a saying on VR.com that goes:

"The Worse it gets, the Faster it gets Worse".

Based on my experience and that saying, I usually come down on the side of "Sooner is Better", especially if there is NO WAY it will get better without surgery.

I also suspect that Surgeons have a better 'feel' and perspective for setting the timing of surgery. They like to get the problem FIXED Before there is Permanent Damage to the Heart Muscles and Walls.

Just my NON-professional opinion.

'AL C'

I also suspect that Surgeons have a better 'feel' and perspective for setting the timing of surgery. They like to get the problem FIXED Before there is Permanent Damage to the Heart Muscles and Walls.

Just my NON-professional opinion.

'AL C'

What Al just said, I was about to also say, so I've just used his words since I agree with them. I don't know about the TEE thing. Mine was done along with my surgery. Others here are always talking about them. It's amazing how different of an experience we all have.

We all really really really understand your frustrations!! Waiting IS the hardest part! I had to wait 3 years. When my echo came back at 1.0, the cardiologist told me that normally a 1.0 reading means that surgery is necessary within 3 years. I wanted to sign up that day!! But, nooooo. My valve took it's time. My second cardio (the first was Pakistani and for the life of me, I just could not get past his accent and also wanted to switch to someone attached to my chosen metro hospital rather than our little local one) told me that she would call in the surgeon when my valve reached .7. So we waited. And waited. Then after 2.5 years, when my valve hit .7, several other things suddenly needed doing (colonoscopy, breast needle biopsy) not to mention the holidays and a trip to sunny Phoenix with my husband who insisted we have "one last trip" together. OMG, that trip was way too exhausting -- hardly enjoyed it. Plane rides were making me dizzy, too, but I think that was my BP meds... having happened on another plane ride I chose to not take them until we landed and found that better. Anyway, from December to April my valve closed from 7.0 to 5.3. Thus my echoing Al's quote. So for me, the magic number was 7.0. Just as the cardio said. And that's when it started closing down rather quickly.

For me to share this with you just emphasizes how different we all are! If it were me, knowing what I know about how my experience went and if I were currently in your shoes -- I would stop worrying, listen to the surgeon, trust the cath numbers, (never go back to the tech who gave you that smaller number -- find out their name and always request NOT to have them), plan your trip -- GO and have a fabulous time doing whatever feels good to do!!!

And about your weight. I was (am) overweight. My surgeon didn't care a hill of beans about it. It did not seem to affect my recovery at all. However, if you can start a walking program, I would encourage it. You really could feel better.

And about your being a "whiney girl who hasn't been through anything serious yet".... well, that's a bunch of bs. This stuff IS serious!!!! It's terrifying!! You are going through the worst of it, quite probably!! The uncertainty and the lingering doubts -- they are hell. So you really need to pat yourself on the back, walk proud and know that you are learning the ropes of advocating for yourself. That's essential!

So hang in there and come here anytime with any questions. We're here!! We get it!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

Rhena:

Re: weight loss
Check out Glenda's success at weight loss:
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32521

You may want to PM for her secrets.

It's certainly frustrating hitting an on-off-on switch about needing/when to have surgery.

But as others have said, "The worse it gets, the faster it goes." Been there, done that.
So, you may want to block off sometime during the first part of 2010 to get it over with. Have some fun now (your trip) but also start planning for surgery.

Of course we don't know about any other health issues that you may have, but basically if it's just for the aortic valve issue, there's no reason to cancel the trip.

I went to Cozumel only a month before my first AVR. My cardio didn't have anything against the trip, but he said if I went snorkelling or diving, I could very well die due to holding my breath and pressures. I had a grand time snorkelling, and was free diving between thirty and forty feet a good percentage of the time. (No, I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it, but the point is that some cardiologists - not mine - are extremely overprotective, and would have you wear a helmet and knee pads, if they thought they could talk you into it.)

Now for the caveats...

- The trip would not be good if it were to higher elevations. Obviously, you are going to an island that is mostly very close indeed to sea level.

- The snorkelling isn't as dangerous as usually put forward, but it would probably be smart to avoid it.

- Do take it easy on the trip, which sounds like your intention anyway.

The numbers do mean something. If your valve area is under 1 cm² and you have the symptoms you descibe, it would be labeled as severe by many doctors. They should get together and decide which of those numbers is the one they believe to be accurate, and go from there. They've left a confusing trail for themselves to follow next time you show up. They owe you a definitive valve area number.

The "excess you" is probably worsening the shortness of breath and dizziness, so you may be able to improve the quality of your waiting time (and later recovery time) by starting that diet and some mild walking exercise a little earlier, rather than later. I realize that's easier for me to say than for you to do, but it's still likely the case, and I hope you consider it.

Best wishes,

My other thought, beside all Bob said is about your thyroid. Have you started taking your meds again? I have hypothyroid amd tend to not be the best patient so I knoe when I don't have my synthroid, I tend to get weird symptons and that probably isn't helping with the weight either.

I'm surprised that no one ordered a TEE which supposedly gives 'better images' of the valve.

Based on my experience and that saying, I usually come down on the side of "Sooner is Better", especially if there is NO WAY it will get better without surgery.

'AL C'

Rhena,

I am of the opinion of Al's above, and am so sorry for all you are going through...I know how it feels!! When I started seeing surgeons, one wanted to operate right away, another asked to 'start thinking surgery' and be alert about the symptoms...when I had SOBs and felt fatigued, I contributed this to my 'underactive thyroid' problem, age, tension, etc., all except my heart valves getting worse, since my cardio did not contribute them to my heart either and kept pushing me to see him again in 'a year' or so!! I definitely could have had my surgery ta least five years earlier...but glad to have had it on time.

I have one remark about the Ross procedure...I was told by CC that the cutting age is 40 years!

Good luck. I will keep you in my prayers.

I think you are being way nicer than I would be. I think I would have gone in and smacked that cardio upside the head that told you to cancel your trip!!!

My husband and I honeymooned in St. Lucia - we dove a lot and did climb the petit piton (pretty hard if you are not an experienced rock climber - which I'm not). It is a beautiful place and I think you should go.

I think you should rely on the cath numbers instead of the echo, as everyone says the echos are subject to interpretation.

I would also keep the other consultation. Hopefully, you will get some peace of mind if both surgeons agree.

Wow! I really stumbled on a bunch of wonderful people when I found this forum. Thanks so much to all of y’all for truly understanding exactly how I’m feeling and validating that it was OK to feel it. There is a silver lining to all this for sure. I have learned a lot about things I really needed to learn anyway. I found out you have to be an advocate for your own health. The cath shows no blockage or other issues, so my only problem really is the AV and that’s good, and the best of all is that I found this great community to come and vent and to get help.

I really have been working on the weight situation very hard and have always been pretty good about exercising 3 times a week (Curves). I’ve just added to that a 2 mile daily walk (4 laps around a mall near work at lunch. 5 days a week anyway. It’s too hot in this town to walk outside most of the time!!) I’ve been given a guideline to keep heart rate not much over 100 bpm. and it doesn’t take much to get there now that he cut back my dose of metoprolol, so I just slow down a bit. While I’ve got some ‘excess me’ as Bob very tactfully put it, I thought I was fairly fit (at least firm fat anyway) :rolleyes: Cooker can attest that I’ve been hanging with the gang in the zoo on the Throwdown thread. Any of the rest of you looking to join us losers and shed a few lbs. come and join us there. It helps to have the support and a place to confess. I’ve lost about 15 lbs since mid- August. I’m keeping that going as I have the momentum now and it needs to be done for a whole lot of reasons. One of which is that I’d have a whole new wardrobe already hanging in my closet! Thanks for sharing the link of Glenda ‘s success Marsha . Quite the inspiration!

Bob H. your advice always seems to be spot on and so well thought out . Yours too, Al., thanks. I will remember the motto ‘The worse it gets the faster it gets worse’. I won’t overdo. In May in southern Spain before knowing any of this scenario was in my future, I climbed up a steep path to take a tour of a cave in Andalucia . It was up in the mountains and I thought my lungs were going to explode. I won’t be doing anything quite like that for awhile. It was worth it though as the cave was amazing , explored via kerosene lanterns. Saw some amazing hieroglyphics. A local farmer found it and runs the tours. I guess you can tell that I love to travel.

I think now the reason I was feeling so crappy was a result of being given the metoprolol and being taken off of my thyroid meds at the same time. :( Thanks for helping me snap to that fact Lyn and Eva. I ran out of my thyroid meds for awhile once and I remember now how tired it made me feel. I take cytomel just for a low T3, not synthroid. I read the thread on metoprolol and I see it can make people very tired too. So there ya go - a double whammy. I haven’t started the cytomel back up yet. Guess I should ask first to be sure, but I think cardio will say yes since he seemed surprised his PA took me off of them. The Dr. who prescribed them wasn’t very happy either. The PA said she was going to send him a note, but she apparently didn’t – at least he hadn’t seen it. Could be his office hadn’t filed it yet either.

Deanne, I nearly came across the table and strangled my cardio when he sat down in a rush and asked me 'What can I do for you?' Hitting him upside the head would have worked too. Really good idea about seeing the second surgeon next week and how that could give me a consensus of where I really stand and some peace of mind if they are both of the same opinion.

So anyway, thanks to all of you for your advice and sharing your stories with me. Particularly yours Marguerite – it really made me feel better and that I wasn’t just being a cry baby. Nancy, I think I will see if I can get the same tech for future echos or at least avoid that one. In looking back at old reports, there is one guy who did 2 of mine that seem pretty much in line with the cath. Maybe I can manage to get him each time.

So, I guess I’ll just be hanging around waiting. Oh and I will have plenty of time to get some more pounds off so I can look good (better) in a swimsuit in St. Lucia cause I am booking that trip for New Year's eve and I know that less poundage will give me more energy too. Shezagirlie – I see you like to travel too. I think we could have a good time in St. Lucia!:D

See ya around!

Rhena

Latest posts

Back