MRI with St Jude

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLB123

Happy New Year!!

It has been a while since I have been on here and recently (yesterday) I had a thoracic and spinal MRI. I had no issues with the noise or enclosed machine. I did notice a slight burning on the left side of my chest while the machine was scanning. It would stop when the machine stopped and then start up again when they started scanning again. I came close to hitting the button a few times to have me pulled out. I know MRI is safe with a St Jude valve, but has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks
Tara

Did you give the MRI tech your St. Jude's card before you had your MRI? Mine has specific instructions on the back regarding the "type" of MRI that is ok with my valve. If you have any concerns, you should call your Dr. and ask.

Kim

That should not have happened. Sounds like they used more MRI energy (Can't think of the term they use for the radiation) then the valve was designed for. I'd certainly let the doctors know about it.

Is it okay for me to undergo a diagnostic MRI with my mechanical heart valve?
Non-clinical testing has demonstrated that St. Jude Medical® heart valves and repair devices are MR Conditional. They can be scanned safely under the following conditions:
Static magnetic field of 3 Tesla or less
Spatial gradient of 525 Gauss/cm or less
Maximum whole-body-averaged specific absorption rate (SAR) of 2.0-W/kg for 15 minutes of scanning
In non-clinical testing, St. Jude Medical valves and repair devices produced a temperature rise of less than or equal to 0.5˚ C at a maximum whole body-averaged specific absorption rate (SAR) of 2.0 W/kg for 15 minutes of MR scanning in a 3-Tesla Signa model (GE) MR scanner. MR image quality may be compromised if the area of interest is the exact same area or relatively close to the position of the device.

Did you have any kind of "warming blanket"?

Recently a Child received a serious Burn from an MRI which was attributed to some special kind of warming blanket. A local TV station reported the incident to the FDA and the blankets have been recalled.

Did you give the MRI tech your St. Jude's card before you had your MRI? Mine has specific instructions on the back regarding the "type" of MRI that is ok with my valve. If you have any concerns, you should call your Dr. and ask.

Kim

They actually asked me for the card. I feel okay, so I don't think there were any complications from it. It was just a little unsettling. The burning sensation that is.

There is no radiation of the type most people think of used in an MRI. It's all done with strong magnetic fields. Enough of a magnetic field is produced to align molecules in your body. The picture is a computer interpretation of the energy given off when the molecules return to their normal polarities.

Another thought for possible cause: might they have left the emergency pacemaker leads attached under the skin?

Best wishes,

There is no radiation of the type most people think of used in an MRI. It's all done with strong magnetic fields. Enough of a magnetic field is produced to align molecules in your body. The picture is a computer interpretation of the energy given off when the molecules return to their normal polarities.

Another thought for possible cause: might they have left the emergency pacemaker leads attached under the skin?

Best wishes,

Thanks. Couldn't think of Tesla or Gauss.

...Another thought for possible cause: might they have left the emergency pacemaker leads attached under the skin?...
Scary thought. But one worth exploring because whatever may have been causing the sensation should show up on the MRI.

Tara, I think I'd ask whomever reads the MRI about it. Even if it hopefully doesn't turn out to be anything significant, it could bring you peace of mind, especially if you need future MRIs.

And would you please keep us updated?

I had an MRI a couple of weeks ago and I felt some warmth on or in the chest when the machine was running. I know my Edwards annuplasty ring is MRI safe per Edwards and I asked the MRI operators their opinions. I also told the operators I felt some warmth in 2004 when I had an MRI and I was a bit concered about it. They said the MRI does not cause any heat, probably the warm feeling was caused by the warming blanket. Um.... no, the warmth I felt even though it was only a slight warm feeling, was not from the blanket. It was only warm when the MRI machine was doing its thing.

I had an MRI a couple of weeks ago and I felt some warmth on or in the chest when the machine was running. I know my Edwards annuplasty ring is MRI safe per Edwards and I asked the MRI operators their opinions. I also told the operators I felt some warmth in 2004 when I had an MRI and I was a bit concered about it. They said the MRI does not cause any heat, probably the warm feeling was caused by the warming blanket. Um.... no, the warmth I felt even though it was only a slight warm feeling, was not from the blanket. It was only warm when the MRI machine was doing its thing.

That was exactly what happened to me. When the machine was scanning I felt the burning on the left side of my chest. When it stopped the burning sensation went away. When I got out, I asked the tech if they have ever had anyone with a st jude or any valve complain of a burning sensation in their chest. He looked at me like I had two heads. I have decided to inform my surgeon about it next week. Just to see what he says. I feel alright, so my guess is that everything is okay. It's more of a curiousity. I wonder how many people with valves may have felt the very same thing.

I am also interested in getting a doctor's perspective on MRI exams when St. Jude valves are involved. My aortic and mitral valves date from 1993.

Has anyone discussed this with their cardiologist or surgeon?

Jim N.

I am also interested in getting a doctor's perspective on MRI exams when St. Jude valves are involved. My aortic and mitral valves date from 1993.

Has anyone discussed this with their cardiologist or surgeon?

Jim N.

Jim

They say it is safe and I have the card to prove it. I mentioned my experience to my surgeon's secretary and she talked to him about it. He said he has never heard of anything like this. I mentioned it to the NP in my cardiologist's office and she didn't seem all that concerned about it.

Jim

They say it is safe and I have the card to prove it. I mentioned my experience to my surgeon's secretary and she talked to him about it. He said he has never heard of anything like this. I mentioned it to the NP in my cardiologist's office and she didn't seem all that concerned about it.

I requested information from St. Jude Medical. They gave me a link to a position letter that is normally made available to "Medical Professionals". The letter gives limits on the allowable magnetic field and spatial gradient, among other things, under which their valves can be scanned safely.

They also say that, "SJM heart valves and repair devices produce a temperature rise of less than or equal to 0.5 degree C. under the conditions listed above...."

The link is:
http://www.sjm.com/resources/faq.aspx?section=mechanical valves#219

The link is not clearly translated in the post. Click on the first link in the list.

This tells me that, even under their controlled conditions, there is some heating, though it is small. Without knowing the field strength at the time of your exam, it is hard to know if this is what you felt.

I was searching on Goggle, pulled up this older thread and will add this:

I was told today that I need a MRI.
Also found this link at St Jude.
Non-clinical testing has demonstrated that St. Jude Medical (SJM) heart valves and annuloplasty rings can be scanned safely under the following conditions:
• Static magnetic field of 3 Tesla or less
• Spatial gradient of 525 Gauss/cm or less
• Maximum whole-body-averaged specific absorption rate (SAR) of 2.0-W/kg for 15 minutes of scanning
SJM heart valves and repair devices produce a temperature rise of less than or equal to 0.5 °C under the conditions listed above. SJM heart valves and repair devices can be scanned safely under the conditions
listed above. MR image quality may be compromised if the area of interest is in the exact same area or relatively close to the position of the SJM heart valve or repair device.

Also called St Jude and they said the same.
I plan to take a copy along on the day of the MRI.

Hi Tara,

I am an MRI Tech at a large facility that has five scanners. When you describe the machine turning on/off you are describing the application of RF energy. Your St. Jude valve is MRI compatible. I am wondering if you may have a tattoo over that area or if you were wearing a medication patch. The other problem could be an equipment failure. You mentioned that you were having a thoracic spine done. Many systems have a device that goes across your chin area when imaging upper spines. If you had this device on I would wonder if it was touching your skin causing excessive heating. The other thing that can happen, which would be rare for thoracic spine imaging, is called peripheral nerve stimulation. If you were in the scanner with your hands touching and your ankles crossed it is possible to actually create a current in your body. I do not believe that your valve is the cause for this sensation. I would not worry about it, but mention it next time you are having a MRI.

All heart valves are compatible for MRI up to 1.5 Tesla. The force of your heart pumping creates more force than the actual MRI. There is extensive testing done every year and a good MRI facility will have all the reference material available for cross referencing with any implant care you bring along.

Latest posts

Back