Severe aortic regurgitation and now mild mitral regurgitation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAV

Hey everyone,

I'm reviewing my most recent echo and it looks for sure time to have Avr as my moderate/severe regurgitation and mild/moderate stenosis has now crossed over to severe regurgitation. I see the dr in two days to review the results.

On my new echo it indicates mild mitral valve regurgitation and in the past it always showed "trace". There is a note also that it is "difficult to quantify mitral mean gradient due to severity of aortic regurgitation overlapping spectral Doppler display of mitral valve"

Has this happened to anyone? Is this mild mitral valve regurgitation something that may resolve itself once my aortic valve is replaced?

I can't comment on the imaging and echo data but I agree with this bit

You'll be fine

Keep us appraised

Best Wishes
Thanks Perllicle. I appreciate your reassurance and your commitment to this board and its members.

I will definitely keep you guys updated

I appreciate your reassurance
you're welcome, and it not just hollow platitude either, I genuinely think you'll be fine (because stats).

Just stay away from the overthinking that which you have no control over and be happy.

Best Wishes

Reactions: Eva
I'm not sure if this helps, but for many years I have vacillated between trace, mild, trace mitral regurgitation. Including during my run up to severe aortic stenosis. It's probably nothing to worry about at this time but be sure to ask all of your questions during the next visit.

Reactions: BAV
Is this mild mitral valve regurgitation something that may resolve itself once my aortic valve is replaced?
This question does not look simple. The mitral and aortic valves are connected/coupled. So if something is done to AV, then in principle MV could be affected. And, if the heart is enlarged now, then after AV operation it may "reverse-remodel" back, which can help. But I don't know enough to judge the impact of these effects. It's really a good question for the doctor, who has more of your details and a lot more experience :)

One thing I can add is that, in principle, "mild" is far from "need surgery now" condition (for this reason). The next stages in the progression are "medium", "medium-severe", "severe". And the referral to surgery is usually done at "severe" stage (sometimes at "medium-severe", depending on details).

Since you have 2 valves with regurgitation, it may make sense to ask the doctor if there is an underlying reason for it. For example, if there is a connective tissue disease, knowing this may help with the surgery planning and your life later on. (That's what I would ask.)

Reactions: BAV
Left ventricle dilatation affects mitral valve, which starts closing worse, it's called mitralisation of the aortic insufficiency. If the aortic insufficiency is dealt with in a timely fashion, dilatation often regresses, and the mitral valve works better again.

My 1st AVR and ascending aortic graft surgery, mitral was mildly leaking and left alone. Eleven years later, mitral was at moderate, but surgeon chose to leave it alone, saying it looked odd like it was congenitally deformed, just replaced aortic valve w mechanical and thought he would go thru ribs if I needed my mitral addressed in future. So, 8.5 yrs later, after endocarditis, he had to address my now mod to severe mitral valve and chose to repair it. Now, 15 yrs later, it’s leaking severe, and I’m going to need it replaced. It seems they are conservative when it comes to the mitral valve.

Back