Moving right along. . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Well, I just got back to reality after my semi-annual visit with my cardio yesterday afternoon. This was the one where we do an echo and discuss the evaluation. For the past 4 years, we have been watching my echo statistics and seeing some progression, but nothing to be concerned about.

Well, this time the progression is more significant. We are nearing the "severe" category, and he has changed his estimate for surgery from "5 years or so" to "a couple of years." We've now changed to doing echo's every 6 months, just to keep an eye on it.

I'm still able to do most of what I like to do -- still jog 4 miles/day, 5 days/week, but at a slightly slower pace. I have noticeably less "reserve" energy, too. No symptoms in exercise or in daily life -- just statistics that don't lie. Kind of feels like the "mental adjustment" that I went through when I was first diagnosed nearly 5 years ago. No immediate threat or action required, but it's coming. . .

Oh, and he warned me not to go mountain climbing, sky diving and not to do any strenuous exercise in any remote locations. No loss, there.

Guess I need to perform a personal "attitude adjustment" and get back to thinking about the present and not worrying about the future. The future will be in His hands, with help from my (yet to be chosen) surgery team and the family here at vr.com.

Sorry to ramble, had to vent. Now I have to get back to work so I can have enough time later to jog, go shopping with my wife and start getting ready for next week's trip south to Florida. . .

No matter how long we are aware that replacement lurks in our future, I think it is always a shock when we receive confirmation that the time is now coming sooner-- rather than later.
You've had a long spell in the waiting room, Steve; I hope your remaining time passes as pleasantly as the last four years have.

I feel for you, Steve. I was lucky (???) enough to have a very short stay in the waiting room as my heart situation deteriorated quite rapidly from the point it was first spotted. I can't imagine knowing it's coming but having to wait with no definite date.

Keep enjoying your daily life as who knows what tomorrow will bring anyway. I hope the time waiting to climb the mountain passes quickly and pleasantly.

Steve, I , too, was watched a long time but I remember what a shock it was when a cardio accelerated me to an echo every six months and described in detail the kind of surgery I soon would need. My best thoughts are with you. You obviously keep yourself in good shape and are well informed, so you are way ahead of he game. Keep us posted.

I'm sure that in many respects you are happy to finally see the end of the waiting room. Your time here has served you well and you will certainly be an informed patient. Keep jogging, shopping and we will try to keep the weather here in FL good for your trip.

Best wishes to you Steve as you "progress". Sorry to hear that you ARE progressing though. You've been a very good Waiting Room Director; don't want you to move on too soon.;)

Hi Steve,

Great news as you are "still" in the waiting room.

We will pray for continued lack of progression! When the time comes.....you have all of us on VR. Plus a few locals that will make sure you resume activity levels during your hospital stay:D ;) Walk, walk, and more walking.

See you soon:)

Steve, face it, you have to be getting really tired of straightening all the magazines that the Waiting Room short-timers don't have the time to straighten up.

Seriously, I'm sure it's a bit of a surprise. At least your activities can remain the same. You can stay in great shape so that when the surgery does roll around you will bounce back very quickly. Best wishes!

WayneGM said:
I feel for you, Steve. I was lucky (???) enough to have a very short stay in the waiting room as my heart situation deteriorated quite rapidly from the point it was first spotted. I can't imagine knowing it's coming but having to wait with no definite date.

Keep enjoying your daily life as who knows what tomorrow will bring anyway. I hope the time waiting to climb the mountain passes quickly and pleasantly.
Our main man has been in the waiting room for what seems an eternity. I'm happy that he has not been cut on yet, but I too, would be driven over the edge with tension of knowing and all this waiting.

Steve, I continue to be impressed with the level of activity you maintain. What a good thing the diagnostic tools are that allow you to monitor the situation in the absence of more serious symptoms. You're an inspiration to all who "wait"...:)

Karen

Sounds like your Card is keeping a good eye on you too.

I think all the restrictions they put on you seems worse than the OHS itself. It killed me to be inactive before and after the fact. Now I'm back to normal and happier than ever.

When I first found out about my condition and found this site,some of the first posts I read were from you Steve.Your posts really helped me come to terms with things
Good luck and I hope you stay in the Waiting Room fior a few more years yet.

Paul

Steve:

At least you can still continue keeping the Waiting Room clean of clutter, making coffee (hey! how about getting an espresso machine in there!!!) and other duties.

Maybe you should start scouting for an eventual replacement, so you can get him/her trained. You've done such an outstanding job in the Waiting Room that it will be hard to fill your shoes.

Steve,

Sorry that the impending surgery is a bit closer for you now, but I'm sure you are getting bored in the Waiting Room. I know I've done my part to help spruce that place up ... but, you can only stand it so long ;). he he

Seriously, though, thoughts/prayers coming your way....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"These hands are meant to hold" ... All-American Rejects ... 'Move Along'

Hi Steve, here's hoping that you get to stay in charge of the waiting room for some time to come. But having said that, I am sure that there is a part of you that would just like to get it over with.

I think the hardest part of OHS is the waiting and the anticipation.

If you get more symptomatic, you might want to consider contacting your cardio and also begin deciding upon a surgeon and hospital.

A "Hearty" thanks to all who have sent their prayers, wishes and advice. As usual, I am deeply touched at the sense of family we have among the vr.com clan. I am, as many of you have mentioned, getting used to the fact that things are, in fact, moving along. No surprises there. In fact, things aren't much different than some of the regulars described to me as I first met them. I guess I'm just down in the dumps when I start thinking that the likelihood is that things may get a bit difficult from here on out. I have felt myself slowing down these past couple of years, and of course have been in a state of gentle denial. I fully understand what to expect (I think) but that doesn't make me any happier to see it getting closer.

I had a chat with a colleague at work yesterday. He recently had 5 (I think) stents implanted. His condition was diagnosed as he was beginning a heart attack. His advice to me (I guess as a personal favor in return for some of the support and advice I've given him) was to never forget the fact that he and I are among the lucky ones. We have been warned about our conditions, while there is still time to intervene, and we have conditions for which there are well-proven surgical remedies. Sure, we may not look forward to the hospital experiences, but we have a MAJOR plus in that we can indeed look forward to life (and probably better quality of life) after surgery. He then warned me like a father (even though I'm a couple of years older than he) to watch out for signs of depression, now and after surgery. He said that this is a real and common complication of our conditions, and that one should seek help before things get too bad. Of course, I was aware of this from the experiences of others here, but it was also a good reminder.

I think my present state of "blues" is a relatively minor one, as so far I have only been advised that it will be "sooner rather than later" and I can now understand why I've felt like I'm slowing down. I know I will get used to knowing these things, then I can get on with life and wait for the next echo in 6 months.

There, I've vented and tried to thank you all. Now to get that laundry done to pack for a trip next week.

Oh, and by the way, the espresso machine has been out for repairs since mid-December. First they thought is was only a bad switch, but then after two additional failures and error messages on the machine's console, they decided it was the main computer processor board. Had to order the part from Italy. Hope it comes in soon -- this "ordinary" coffee is just so "ordinary". . .

epstns said:
Oh, and by the way, the espresso machine has been out for repairs since mid-December. First they thought is was only a bad switch, but then after two additional failures and error messages on the machine's console, they decided it was the main computer processor board. Had to order the part from Italy. Hope it comes in soon -- this "ordinary" coffee is just so "ordinary". . .

The part will probably come via slow boat from Italy, then. ;) Do we need to take up a collection in Euros or lira for the bill, or was it still under warranty?

Seriously, since you have the "luxury" of knowing it's getting to be more "sooner" rather than later, you might want to look into setting the "when." You'd be able to get into the OR before you start having to limit your activities because of declining condition/energy.

Latest posts

Back