Monitor is on its way!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just got off the phone with QAS and my monitor is on its way. I couldn't have gotten any better news today. I don't have to pay anything for it as I have already paid all out of pocket and deductibles for the year. Was told I should have it within 10 days. Thankfully as the husbands union went on strike yesterday and as of yesterday at midnight I would not have any health insurance and would have to pay for any lab draw for inr. So as soon as I get my monitor and I am trained on it I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Now get out a needle, sterilize it and prick your finger. Do this at least 10 times so that you get the hang of it. :D

Jackie:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Ross has an excellent suggestion. Best to practice pricking your finger w/out trying to get that blood sample big enough or on the well of the testing strip. The first couple of tests can be nerve-wracking, what with the tension of getting it right and not wasting a strip.

Well then, don't yell at me when you can't get the blood to come barreling out of your finger and fall straight on that little target area. :D

I would practice after taking a nice hot shower. Defnitely NOT before taking a nice hot shower.

Can't you just imagine it seeing your fingers suddenly start spurting little trickles of blood from every "practice divot" :eek: in your fingers while you're still in the shower???? That's when you want red towels!

woo-hoo - another one joining the ranks of many happy home testers!

Marsha, I've never, ever bled like that! but I always have cold hands and feet anyway, so I usually test just after a shower or gardening or something like that, anyway. I always have a Kleenex on hand to stop it, and ususally put on a teeny Bandaid just so I don't risk getting blood on everything I touch.

woo-hoo - another one joining the ranks of many happy home testers!

Marsha, I've never, ever bled like that! but I always have cold hands and feet anyway, so I usually test just after a shower or gardening or something like that, anyway. I always have a Kleenex on hand to stop it, and ususally put on a teeny Bandaid just so I don't risk getting blood on everything I touch.

Jeanette:

Neither have I. But it would make an interesting picture!!!! :D:D:D

that it would. lol still waiting to hear from the nurse. here's hoping it happens this week. i can't put it off any longer than that and don't want a bill from the lab this time. anyone know how it cost for the lab to run the test just in case?

Jackie:

When I got my first monitor and was waiting for the training phone call, I had my sister & niece (both RNs) watch me run a test. Mind you, they've never run an INR on a patient and probably never will. But they've run tests on diabetics and there's basically NOT a whole lot of difference in the whole scheme of the universe. Other than our samples require a little bit more blood and we get it out of our finger rather than "virtually painfree" anywhere on our bodies, as some glucometers are advertised. :rolleyes:

If your a cat owner, you don't even need a lancing device. Just pull the cats tail and you'll have all the blood sample you need. :D

Back