Moments ago... told I need surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcat96

:eek: Hi, It has been a little over a year since I last posted...cruising through each day trying to forget that I have aortic stenosis! Well here I am (mother of 7 year old and 4 1/2 yr old, wife of police officer with crazy hours) and the Dr. just told me by phone that based on echo a week ago and stress test yesterday it is time for surgery!!!! I am SCARED.
So here I am reaching out. I have the names of two surgeons Dr. Shekar and Dr. Bolman both from Brigham and womens in Boston. I need to make a choice and go meet with one of them. My Dr. (Dr. Ogara also at B&W) anticipates I will be done surgery and recovering with in 2 mo.
I would appreciate any any advice on Dr.s or questions as I meet surgeon or ANY advice for my family.
Thanks Dana

My kids were just about your children's ages when I had my surgery. That was over 16 years ago and life has been wonderful. The fact that I had valve replacement allowed me to be an active, involved mother. And now I'm a grandma.

This is a positive thing for your life, although scary! 60 years ago you would have had no hope, now you have every hope of leading a normal life after your replacement.

Sorry to hear your news and certainly understand you are scared. We'd worry about you if you were not.

I had my second OHS at Mass General, same surgeon, five months ago and am doing great. Mass General and Brigham and Women's are always rated among the top five heart surgery centers in the U.S. according to U.S. News and Business Reports.

Interview the doctors, pick the one that feels the most right for you. Get in and get it over with as soon as possible. The worst part of the whole thing IMO is the wait. The shorter the wait, the more sane you will remain.

We will help you in every way possible.

Every reason to expect you will do fine. This is routine for these doctors and nurses......though certainly not for us patients.

One of our members, "BRD" a/k/a Barbara, just had her aortic valve replaced at B&W yesterday (8/6) and her surgeon was Dr. Shekar. Barbara is a nurse and she did a lot of research on hospitals and doctors so I'm sure that Dr. Shekar is top notch. By the way, her surgery was very successful. I'm sure Barbara would be glad to talk to you about him when she is home from the hospital.

Robin

Definitely interview the Doctors. I had two completely different interviews. One doc was very hands on and performed a thorough exam along with his physician assistant. The other Doc was very clinical and showed the surgery on a flat screen TV in his office. Both were very capable. I went with the hand on Doc and have been pleased ever since. The PA is available 24/7 and that really calms the nerves.

It is good and normal to be scared. Become educated in the process.

Find a source for peace and strength

I certainly understand being scared. I think we all were. I was lucky, I did not have small children. I wish you luck w/picking your doctor.

:eek: Well here I am (mother of 7 year old and 4 1/2 yr old, wife of police officer with crazy hours) and the Dr. just told me by phone that based on echo a week ago and stress test yesterday it is time for surgery!!!! I would appreciate... any ANY advice for my family.

My daughter is older than your children, but she has special needs, so she requires a lot of care. My husband normally travels a lots. So hopefully some of the things I did will be helpful to you.

One of the best things I did may not be realistic for you, time-wise. I was able to postpone my surgery until my daughter was at camp. It sounds like your doctor wants you to have your surgery very soon. Still, it might be possible to schedule your hospital time -- or maybe more importantly, your immediate post-hospital time -- for a time when your children can be completely cared for by someone other than your husband. If that someone lives far from your older kid's school, perhaps your surgery can be scheduled during a school vacation.

Even if you have excellent insurance, I am sure that you are making a medical-care budget. I highly suggest factoring into your "surgery budget" the following things:

* child care
* child transportation
* errand service
* housekeeping service
* pet service, if necessary

I know that it's likely that you have relatives, friends and neighbors who can help you in many ways. Still, when it comes to things that must be done relatively long-term, and on a specific schedule, you may need to avail yourself of a paid service.

Go straight to the top and meet with your oldest child's school principal. He or she can call in your child's future teacher and school counselor. (They have probably already assigned your child to a classroom.) This way you can figure out how to handle homework, missed days of school and tardiness, as well as giving them a heads-up that your child may be worried about you.

Although my surgery was in the summer, I was having trouble doing normal activities for a few months before surgery, and we had to be a little creative to get my daughter to and from school.

You may think, "but I should be recovered in two months." I don't know what kind of surgery you will be having; certainly you will have an easier recovery if they are not sawing your sternum apart. However, you need to be prepared for times when you are too tired to drive or cook, for times when you have complications, for medical appointments that you should not or cannot reschedule, and for your own rehabilitation program.

Finally, start stockpiling every non-perishable personal care, cleaning and food item you can think of. Even better than sending your husband, relatives or errand services out to find these things is to have them on hand.

I'll post more when I think of things. All of this is very fresh on my mind because my daughter comes back from camp on Saturday and starts school on Monday. On the one hand, it will be great to have someone around who can do laundry. (No, I don't trust my husband with the laundry!) On the other hand, someone needs to get her to and from school every day.

I hope I've given you some ideas!

Welcome, Dana. You are going to a fine hospital and will be in great hands. Dr. O'Gara was Dick's cardiologist there and we were very happy with him. Dr. Cohn was his surgeon.

You found the right place!

You found the right place!

We have a lot of experience here. some is pretty fresh (im just 1 month out) and some is pretty old. I think we have someone that got a new valve when I was 3 years old. :eek: We will give you answers to questions you didn't even ask.
You do need help with your kids. I am a cop too so I know about crazy hours. I had family to take my 6 y/o the week of surgery.
My doctor did his residency at B&W and he was great. I'm sure anyone at that hospital will do great.
I was scared too! All in all, although I would not WANT to go through it again, this wasn't near as bad as I had imagined. The fear of the unknown along with the waiting was the worst part. Ask LOTS of questions and try to relax about the whole thing. This is gonna be a vacation where you are FORCED to take it easy. ENJOY IT! ( i know that sounds CRAZY but you get the idea) Your husband should be able to get FMLA time if needed. If he has sick or vacation time, he will continue to get paid while sitting at home waiting on ou hand and foot. Keep us informed and again, ask away!

It's normal to be scared. However, now that I've been through it I can honestly say it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Now life is great post-op. Best wishes and good luck.

Dana,
Sounds like you received very good comments regarding your doctors and hospital, hopefully that will help put your mind at ease a little.
You will need help after the surgery for a fairly long time, especially for your children. You won't be able to do much physically for a while during recovery.
As others have said it is perfectly normal to be scared, but the odds are heavily in your favor.
Hopefully this will be the beginning of a long and healthy life.
Best wishes to you,
Rich

Dana:

Sorry you're having to face surgery, but look at it this way: You're turning the corner toward feeling much better. Once you have surgery, you'll realize the difference in how your heart feels. Been there, done that.

Dana-
I had my AVR at Brigham and Womens' May 15th and can tell you first hand that you will be very well cared for! Dr. Cohn was my surgeon. I'm a Nana, so I can't give you any advice on the children front. Best wishes to you as you plan for the journey. You will be in good hands.
Ruthie

Welcome Dana,

As you can see, B&W is a Highly Regarded Heart Hospital!

Your Questions will depend on the nature of your Heart issues.

Do you have BiCuspid Aortic Valve? If so, see the Bicuspid Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum for lots of relevant information.

Have you thought about the type of Valve you want (Mechanical or Tissue)? See the "Stickys" at the top of the Valve Selection Forum. Once you decide on a type of valve, you may want to learn more about the available options. There is LOTS of information in the Valve Selection Forum. Visit the websites for the various manufacturers for more details.

Contact Barbara (BRD) about Dr. Shekar. I *know* she did her 'homework' in selecting her surgeon.

If you interview both surgeons, be sure to ask each of them how much experience they have doing the kind of surgery YOU will need.

In case you don't already know, the Success Rates for First Time Valve Replacement Surgery is extremely high. Nationally, there is a 1% risk of Morbidity and 1% risk of mortality versus Serious Deterioration or Death if you do NOT have your faultly valve replaced.

Feel free to ask more questions as they come to mind.

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome Dana ~ I know nothing about the doctors you mentioned, but i wanted to wish you well with your upcoming surgery and say that it's normal to be scared. I think all of us are!

Dana,
of course you are scared - who wouldn't be after getting that news no matter how long you wait and wait. As others have said however, we are lucky that we have OHS to make us valvers better so I sincerley hope and pray that your surgery does just that. Not being a parent nor having "been there yet" I can't offer any good advice on how to get ready. I would suggest that you meet with both surgeons if possible to make your decision although I like the advice you received about Barbara selecting Dr. Shekar. Sounds like he might be a good choice. And of course you will be going to the new Heart Center at BWH which sounds impressive. I go there to see my GI doc and have always been impressed by the staff there. I wish you all the best as you try to get yourself ready for your surgeon visit. I hope that your husband can accompany you - it is always helpful and wise to have another person to listen and ask questions at a stressful time.

Take Care! Positive thoughts!

Ditto on Brigham & Women's

Ditto on Brigham & Women's

Had my aortic valve replaced in July of 2007 (Also by Dr. Cohn) there and had no problems since.

Suggest you check out the parking situation before you go there. The under ground garage is a little scary.

Hospital is state of the art.

On the good side they may have opened their new building by now which has PRIVATE rooms. Bad roommates are a problem.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back