Mitral valve replacement now need pacemaker

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDD

Hi! I had OHS last Tuesday to repair my mitral valve and am currently in the hospital being monitored for a condition called heart block. The 4 hour surgery I was suppose to receive to repair my valve turned into a 9 hour surgery and a tissue valve replacement. I'm thankful to be on the other side and feel well enough to go home, but my heart rhythm is unstable. Initially, the doctors thought it was due to swelling from the surgery, but after being monitored over the weekend with no change I'm apparently in need of pacemaker. I obviously was not prepared to have to have additional hardware, but if that's the way it has to be then I'm okay with it. I'm 32 and realize many people have pacemakers, but I didn't ever expect that I would have to have one.

Does anyone have personal experience with a pacemaker? What does it feel like? Do you notice it on a daily basis? My surgery will be tomorrow, so I would love some input. Thanks in advance!

Hi! I had OHS last Tuesday to repair my mitral valve and am currently in the hospital being monitored for a condition called heart block. The 4 hour surgery I was suppose to receive to repair my valve turned into a 9 hour surgery and a tissue valve replacement. I'm thankful to be on the other side and feel well enough to go home, but my heart rhythm is unstable. Initially, the doctors thought it was due to swelling from the surgery, but after being monitored over the weekend with no change I'm apparently in need of pacemaker. I obviously was not prepared to have to have additional hardware, but if that's the way it has to be then I'm okay with it. I'm 32 and realize many people have pacemakers, but I didn't ever expect that I would have to have one.

Does anyone have personal experience with a pacemaker? What does it feel like? Do you notice it on a daily basis? My surgery will be tomorrow, so I would love some input. Thanks in advance!

My husband has had a pacemaker for two years, and he has no problem with it. One thing I should mention, though, is that he told everyone at the hospital that he was a swimmer (he even swimms in competitions) and wanted to be able to continue. Because of that, they did a "cephalic vein insertion" instead of a "sub-clavial insertion". So, if you are an athlete and use your arms a lot (as in swimming), I would mention that to your doctor.

Hi KDD
I also needed a pacemaker after my aortic valve and root surgery. It did come as quite a shock, and my hospital stay was lengthened to 12 days.

The only question that I wish that I had asked before my pacemaker implantation was about MRI scans. I have a standard Medtronic pacemaker, but there are newer MRI compatible models.

Having a pacemaker does not affect my life day to day. It just means a few extra hospital appointments each year to check the hardware is working optimally. I think the idea of having a pacemaker, especially at a young age, is more disturbing than the reality. The reality is that life is totally normal :)

Good luck for your implantation tomorrow. I had mine done under conscious sedation, and it was a breeze. The local anaesetic stung a little (like a dental jab), and after that there was no pain at all.

Just from what I have read on all of the posts it isn't anything too out of the ordinary for this to happen. Some people's hearts just don't go back into that normal rhythm after surgery. I have had a pacemaker for 8 years now and it really is a godsend to have it and it doesn't interfere with any of my daily activities. I developed the heart block and then they implanted the pacemaker and my heart is dependent on it so I wouldn't be here without it.
Also, I have a friend that is in the Heart Hospital now recovering from valve replacement surgery and and a triple bypass, just yeterday they made the decision to implant a pacemaker for the very same situation you are dealing with now, it is already in and he is scheduled to come home today.
It is very understandable for you to be worried about this but rest assured it is a bump in the road and that in the long run you will be glad you've got that little gadget in your life.
Take care and hope you get to go home soon!

Also, the temporary pacing wires are a total nuisance. I remember how much I hated carrying them around with me. You will be so glad to be rid of them. The first shower you take will be delightful.

This happened with my MVR also. Of course, I also had a maze procedure for a-fib, and was warned of the possibility of a pacemaker afterwards. Once you heal and the pacer gets adjusted properly, which takes a few months, you should have little impact on your life from the pacer. Except needing new brassiers, if you're female. And avoiding airport metal detectors.
They will leave your new pacer set at about 80 bpm minimum for the first 4-6 weeks, while you heal, then they'll start adjusting your minimum rate to a more normal 50 or 60, and will set your upper rate to whatever is best for you given your age, activity level, and heart conditions (I have had v-tach starting at 180, so I have a max rate of 150, and still manage my sports).

Hi, KDD, and welcome!

I'm yet another pacemaker recipient. I first had aortic valve replacement and bypass surgery. Immediately after surgery, they noted that my heart rhythm was anything but normal. I had bradycardia (slow rate), tachycardia (high rate), extra beats, missed beats, and then finally. . . long pauses. Trust me, it is no fun to watch your own monitor go "flat-line." I woke up a couple of times to crowds of docs and techs around my bed, quickly adjusting things to get me going again. I had numerous pauses of up to 18-20 seconds. At that point we decided to implant the pacemaker.

I'm not a swimmer, but I do exercise at the gym 5 days a week, I work 50-60 hours a week and do about everything else that I did before the pacer. Mine has been a non-issue, once we got to settings that worked for me. They will implant the device with its default settings for minimum and maximum heart rate, rate increase parameters, etc. After a few months, you will have a pacemaker interrogation at which they put a sensor over your chest near your pacer and read all the history data it collects. Then they can tweak many adjustments of the pacer to make its actions as natural for you as possible. I don't notice mine at all most days. I simply cannot tell when it is being used and when it is not. The only thing I occasionally notice is that I have to adjust car seat belts so that they don't rub or press too hard on my pacer, as mine is just below my collarbone on the left side - where the shoulder belt hits if I'm driving (and I'm kind of a skinny old dude). Oh, I did take a couple of months to get used to seeing it when I looked in the mirror with my shirt off. Of course, with all my surgical scars, what's one more lump to look at? I'm no male swimsuit model, anyway!

P.S. I find that I get through airport security faster with my pacer. They run me through the short line just to get me out of the way!

Thanks for the input everyone. I got my pacemaker today and will be going home tomorrow. I feel great, sore, but great.

KEEP your left arm down while you heal and a bag of frozen peas or corn can be a real freind

armdown.gif

I was implanted in July 2008 with a medtronic ICD/Pacemaker and then in August was oaced for ten minutes and did not have a clue (my wife says I am always clueless) until the unit was interogated in late Sept and they were able to tell me the exact date and time....it has revived me six times after trying to pace me back but failing so delivered therapy and that revived me ....not once have I felt anything and now my bedside "carelink" sends signals to the hospital and they call me to see if I am all right

Last edited:
Back