Mitochondrial disorder

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ged1975

Has anybody heard of mitochondrial disorder? My sister died from this disorder 8 years ago, she was only 28, it all happened very suddenly.

Anyway I was wondering if anybody knew if mitochondrial was linked to valve disease in anyway or if surgical complications could arise from this disorder?

I'm sure some of you might remember my post a few days ago about me cancelling surgery due to exteme fear.

Apparently mitochondrial disease if extremely rare and there is not much known about it in my country.

I'm sorry I don't have any information at all, Gerard, but I thought I'd acknowledge this thread in hopes that someone who is coming online sunday night might see it and have something to share. :)

Best wishes.

Marguerite

There are quite a few mitochondrial disorders they have to do with DNA and different organ/organs can be affected. You would have to know which mitochondrial disiease she had.

There are quite a few mitochondrial disorders they have to do with DNA and different organ/organs can be affected. You would have to know which mitochondrial disiease she had.

That's interesting, all we were told was 'Mitochondrial disorder', the medical people never gave us a specific name. All we know is that it's such a rare disease. The autopsy results had to be sent to America, we are still waiting to hear results, 8 years later!

Hi Gerard,

I searched about this and in brief: "Mitochondrial diseases might affect the cells of the brain, nerves (including the nerves to the stomach and intestines), muscles, kidneys, heart, liver, eyes, ears, or pancreas. In some patients, only one organ is affected, while in other patients all the organs are involved." No mention about surgical complications
arising from this. You can read the whole article:
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/Mitochondrial_Disease/hic_Mitochondrial_Disease.aspx

Are you worried, in any way, that you do have this? and/or that your surgery might have an effect or trigger this disease. I am sorry about your sister...Are you still grieving her loss?! I shall keep you in my prayers.

Back