minimal invasive surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandi

I just seen a wonderful doctor at Mount Sinai in Miami Beach who will perform AVR with minimal invasive surgery. I am excited to know that this can be done instead of the full sterno. I am scheduling surgery for the 1st of June. I am still scared but have a renewed hope in having a faster recovery. Has anyone experienced this surgery?

Sandi

I had minimally invasive surgery four years ago. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

Best,
Debi (debster913)

I'll share a bit of my experience with you: I had surgery in June 2006 to repair my mitral valve. I did recover quickly; I was able to go back to work in September. I have had a few issues resulting from my surgery, but these issues are rare. I'm just a weird case (even my cardio says so!)! :D

I know that facing any major surgery such as valve surgery can be scary, but there are many people here at VR who have "been there, done that," and will help offer the support and encouragement you need!

Feel free to ask away!

Best,

i had my surgery may 29th of last year. It was minimally invasive but still had my sternum cut. I was back to work 8 weeks after. Do u know if they will be using the robot to do a portal access or the type of minimally invasive as i had? I had my cath 3 days before surgery. The healing of the cath didn't take long but you will be stiff for a couple of days from it.

Yes, I had a cath a few weeks prior to surgery, but it took several tests: an echo, cath, TEE, and pulmonary function test (to rule out asthma) before my cardio was solidly convinced that my valve was failing. I was showing classic symptoms. It (the cath) wasn't too bad--just some soreness in my groin for a few days. When you ask about the healing process, do you mean the cath or the surgery itself?

He is doing the minimal without cutting the sternum. He will make a incision of 5 cm and go through the rib.

Sandi

I think you mean he will go between the ribs? Yes, this is the AVR surgery I had. I think it was about a breeze, though I've never had a sternotomy to compare it to. My pain after surgery was quite minimal. I was able to drive 2 weeks after surgery. I did not have that "run over by a truck" feeling many feel after a sternotomy or have the shoulder pain that can be associated with it. Don't get me wrong, this surgery is tough to go through, but I think having this incision made it a lot easier.

I can't say enough good things about it. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.
Luana

I'll share a bit of my experience with you: I had surgery in June 2006 to repair my mitral valve. I did recover quickly; I was able to go back to work in September. I have had a few issues resulting from my surgery, but these issues are rare. I'm just a weird case (even my cardio says so!)! :D

I know that facing any major surgery such as valve surgery can be scary, but there are many people here at VR who have "been there, done that," and will help offer the support and encouragement you need!

Feel free to ask away!

Best,

Deb,
Did you have robotic surgery?
Luana

Right thoracotomy here, too, for mitral valve repair. I say it's the one reason i'm thankful for what gravity does to the female anatomy! (When I'm vertical, my scar doesn't show.)

If you've got questions, Sandi, ask away!

Hi Sandi,

I had minimal invasive mitral valve repair by DaVinci robot and was back at work part time in 3 weeks (have a desk job so all I have to do is lift a phone and move a mouse). Recovery is quicker with this type of surgery but it is still serious stuff. You have a lot of muscle and nerve cut. I think your lung is also deflated. Surgery will probably take longer which means being on the heart lung machine longer.If I had to choose I would select minimal invasive surgery. My surgeon also said that for the mitral valve it offers the best approach to the valve.
Keep the questions coming. Do not worry the waiting is worse than the recovery.
means you have strange pains

Hello Sandi - I had minimally invasive avr surgery 6 years ago - my scar is 2 1/2" long- between you and me - it looks like a line of cleavage!

Sandi,

I had this surgery with Dr. Lamelas last June. He is a wonderful surgeon and the team around him will take great care of you. You won't see much of him after the surgery, but the folks in ICU and his wife are great! Regardless of the type of surgery, its going to be scary. I was in and out in 4 days. I was back to work in 7 weeks. For me, it truly was a painless process. I never once took any of the pain medication that I was prescribed after the surgery. I was sore, but no pain. I live in Illinois, but my family is in Miami. I brought down copies of my echo, TEE and cath. He did a TEE and echo right before surgery. Anyway, you are in very safe, steady and capable hands.

Rene

Rene,
Thanks for writing to me. From the first time that I met Dr. Lamelas, I felt comfortable. I am already feeling very anxious. Your words are very comforting to me. Is his wife a nurse or a doctor in the ICU? How was your energy level once you got home?

Sandi

His wife is a nurse. She along with the doctors in ICU determined when I was ready to have the tubes pulled out and she helped to make decisions about when I would go to the step -down room. She wrote a brochure that you may have gotten or will get after the surgery. It is an anxiety producing incident. Everyone that encountered was helpful and gentle throughout the process. Again, Lamelas and the other surgeon who will be helping him are great. Lamelas is a very busy guy at the hospital, so dont expect to see much of him after the surgery. I think I saw him 2-3 times. However, someone from the hospital was checking in on me every 2 hours. I was wiped out when I got home. You will slowly build up your energy. Expect to get very little sleep at the hospital or interrupted sleep. My first night I was offered an Ambien, but they were waking me up every 4 hours to do the breathing inhaler exercises. While you are there, you will have to use the inhaler every 4 hours. When I got home, I totally crashed. I took a nice long shower and the longest nap ever. I would break out in hot flashes and sweats (body still purging the anesthetic), again this was uncomfortable not painful. Took a couple of weeks to be able sleep in fav position. My parents have a treadmill in their home and I used it everyday to watch the Price is Right. I believe at the end of my first week home, I went to the mall/movies, but I tried to stay away from public places for fear of catching a cold. I hope this helps. Would be happy to answer other questions.

Thanks for the info. Your like a breath of fresh air for me. If you don't mind... what procedure did you get and if it is AVR, what kind of valve did you receive? I am having the TEE and cath the day before the surgery. I have not heard from hospital or drs office since I made the decision in March and got a date. I'm hoping some time in May everyone will contact me. I received the booklet that Mrs. Lamales made and body soap. I so appreciate all your info.

Sandi

I had AVR. He will go with whatever type of valve you decide, but from conversation with him he was leaning towards the tissue valve. I went with the tissue valve. At Mt Sinai, he replaced the surgeon that did AVR on my dad. That surgeon advised me to go with the tissue valve and told me that a mechanical valve was no guarantee in needing to get another surgery. I consulted with three surgeons and they all were leaning towards the tissue valve, given the recent technology in that the tissue valves could last 15-20 years. I'm supremely aware that I will need to have surgery again in about ten years, but really did not want to deal with blood thinners. As one surgeon told me, I need to make decisions about this surgery and not about a possible one in the future. Also, the surgeon told me that if I started to take blood thinners at my age that I would statistically be exposing myself to a complications as a result of any type of accident. This rings true for me, b/c my grandmother had AVR and she was in a car accident and part of the complications for her was that she was on a blood thinner. I didn't really hear from their office. They gave me the date and they informed me later on what time the surgery would be at and what time to show up at the hospital. Make sure all you insurance ducks are in the row prior to showing up. They will take care of everything with the insurance, but you want to make sure you are in the loop. The surgeon will be sending their own bills to the insurance company and the hospital will be sending their own bill. Lamelas office may not communicate with the hospital about the insurance authorization number. Just make sure you have Lamelas office number in your cell, so you can call them if there is a problem checking in. To sooth my own anxiety, I simply called Lamelas office and kept asking for information I wanted. What time should I show u p? What time the surgery is at? They were very patient with me. Since I also did my recovery in Miami, I linked up with a cardiologist just so I had someone who could follow me. Mt Sinai has a great Cardio and his name is Lamas. Happy to answer other questions. Any questions about the ICU?

Thanks! I am having the pig valve after discussing the same issues with Lamelas. I have to travel from Tampa and they said that my husband can stay in my room with a bed except the night of surgery because of ICU. I will have to find a local cardio doctor. Anything you can tell me about the ICU will be greatly appreciated.

Sandi

Latest posts

Back