Mini-sternotomy AVR - How long before I can travel abroad?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBAV

I'm having surgery in late November to replace my aortic valve. The surgeon is planning a mini-sternotomy.

I am 40 years old and otherwise in good health and I enjoy traveling abroad, sometimes to wacky third world countries.

How long after the minimally invasive surgery should I plan on waiting before I can: (a) carry a 15-20 pound bag, (b) walk around airports and hotels and cities, and (c) expose myself to fun foreign organisms and bacteria?

Two months? Longer?

Thanks.

I would bet that you'd be able to do it in a couple of months providing that: 1: You are recovering with no complications (incision infections etc.)
2: you are stable (ie. if it's a mechanical valve, your warfarin dosing is pretty much under control or you've no issues with a-fib or anything like that) You'll need to have been stable for some period of time in order to get travel insurance which covers your condition.
I traveled to Transylvania 3 and a half months after my surgery, and my insurance required me to have been stable with no changes in medication for 6 weeks prior, if I recall.
Walking around is of course the whole idea with rehab. You may not have the endurance you're used to yet, but it's building fast for most at that point. I wouldn't worry too much about the bag, though it might not be a bad idea to pick up a rolly/backpack combo so you have options.

I had my mini-stern in June 2010 and traveled to Brazil in November that year. I had no problems getting around Sao Paulo other than the normal ones (that is the worst city for traffic I've ever visited). The only difficulty I had was when I needed to stow my bag in the plane on the way back -- I had to shift it around three or four times to make it fit, and don't know if I could have done that one more time. It didn't help that I was bringing back two nice sized parrots carved from rock!

I wouldn't travel internationally for a minimum two months..... just in case.
We traveled domestically at about 9 weeks and I was fine but really wiped out when we arrived. I had a full sternal opening.

I'd worry as much about knowing my immune system was stronger and that I'd passed the usual time frame for most of the 'sometimes happens' bumps in the road. If you are getting mechanical valve, stable INR before International travel is a must IMO

I don't think it will make much difference in the healing with a shorter incision. Sternotomy is still broken, whether it's 3 inches or 10 inches, healing time will be about the same. If you can avoid a sternotomy altogether, with a mini thoracotomy, that will heal quicker than any sternotomy, though I still would not take a major trip less than 2 or 3 months after surgery.

I went from Toronto to Whistler BC for a ski week ~8 weeks after a full sternotomy (details below) and skied 6 days (tho' gently with lots of stops to check my HR monitor and wait for my HR to recover some), and had fun throughout. We did UPS our skis and boots, though we checked our monster suitcases and hauled the equipment up a flight of stairs after getting them at the UPS store. My recovery was unusually smooth, with only one ambulance ride to the ER with a bout of A-fib and tachycardia a week or two after I got home. (More detail's in a long blog entitled "Norm's Story. . .")

If I hadn't been up to it when the time (& Whistler timeshare) came up, my wife would likely have gone without me, as she's done twice over the decades -- both times after I tore an Achilles tendon playing volleyball. I wouldn't go out of my way to pre-pay a no-refunds trip that soon. . .

I would suggest 3 months. By then, you'll hopefully be back to your normal energy level and be able to tolerate any jet lag + disruptions in your normal routine without being wiped out.

A friend had an MVR several years ago. About 4-5 weeks post op, I think, she **had** (in her terminology) to fly from Texas to New York (LaGuardia or Newark) -- and back tje same day on personal business. To top if off, she didn't depart from the closest airport, she flew out of an airport about 3-4 hours away!!! We all knew it was crazy, and it was. It set her recovery back weeks.
So ... use some common sense and allow more time for recovery. Tolerate the cabin fever, frustration, whatever, and you'll do just fine.

And enjoy the trip when the time comes!!

I was able to walk several miles 7 days post op and I was able to carry 25+ lbs 1 month post op. Now, I am almost 2 months post op and I have stabilized my INR (been stable for a month), I can walk several miles a day, and I have no chest pain or soreness whatsoever. I started sleeping on my side 2 weeks post op, and have been sleeping on my stomach since 6 weeks post op. I understand everyone recovers differently, but if your timeline is anything like mine, you will be all set to travel! God bless :)

Listen to these knowlegedable people, they know. If you are unsure, ask the doctor about restrictions post op. That will give you a better idea of what to expect after surgery. It does take time to build up you energy and heal from any surgery. You are cut, those tissues and muscles, have gone through a trauma and need time to heal. On the weight issue, ask the doctor. Be careful and good luck. Hugs for today.

I was able to walk several miles 7 days post op and I was able to carry 25+ lbs 1 month post op. Now, I am almost 2 months post op and I have stabilized my INR (been stable for a month), I can walk several miles a day, and I have no chest pain or soreness whatsoever. I started sleeping on my side 2 weeks post op, and have been sleeping on my stomach since 6 weeks post op. I understand everyone recovers differently, but if your timeline is anything like mine, you will be all set to travel! God bless :)

My surgeon would have been very unhappy with me both OHS had I attempted to carry 25+ lbs 1 month after surgery. Most surgeons do not allow that so soon. Good you were able to do so safely but most of us should not count on that.

My surgeon would have been very unhappy with me both OHS had I attempted to carry 25+ lbs 1 month after surgery. Most surgeons do not allow that so soon. Good you were able to do so safely but most of us should not count on that.
Jkm7:
My thoughts exactly. I had almost responded similarly to this.
Most people are unable to walk SEVERAL miles 7 days post-op and/or carry 25+ pounds 1 month post-op. It's also difficult to have a consistently stable INR just 2 months out. I was so pleased to get 2 tests back-to-back that were in range -- and I thought my INR was finally stabilizing. Then I got smacked with an INR that wasn't in range. Big dose of humility!
My hat is off to someone who can walk several miles 7 days post-op, but I'll bet that such a person would have been doing that routinely pre-op.
I was able to sleep on my side in the hospital -- which was a surprise, because I couldn't remember the last time I had slept on my left side. It had previously been too uncomfortable.

But getting back to VegasBAV's thread -- Just listen to your body and your doctors. OHS does a number on your body and affects numerous systems. Schedule enough free time when traveling so you can rest if needed and you'll be more rested and better able to enjoy a special trip.

<snip>

My hat is off to someone who can walk several miles 7 days post-op, but I'll bet that such a person would have been doing that routinely pre-op.

<snip>

I DID walk several miles everyday prior to my surgery and wow was I shocked when I attempted my first outdoor walk post op. I could barely make it five houses down the street from my own and had to turn around. Because I walked at least two or three times a day, I was able to gradually increase my distance. I am sure it was at least 2.5 to 3 weeks before I could walk a mile. My memory is it took memore than a month to be back to several miles at a time.

I had the most text book, easiest recovery anyone could pray for. I had absolutely no bump in the road and progressed smoothly in my recovery but when we have our chest cracked open and our hearts cut into, it takes time to heal. Full healing for me........ I would say it was very close to a year when I reached my maximum healing. I was functioning fully and fine quite soon but every now and then I would asses how did I really feel and was surprised that when I was honest with myself, I was continuing to see small improvements for many months. Subtle changes but nevetheless enough to make me stronger, better stamina, sleep better.....

Latest posts

Back