Milestone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnp

I had a sloppy run today. Surgery was on Dec 27 2010. No where close to my level of stamina pre op.

But at the end of my run, I looked down at my Garmin 310 XT GPS watch, at the "odometer" of total miles run:

500 miles

All of these miles were logged AFTER my first cardiac arrest, all while having severe MV prolapse and severe regurge. I picked up with the running again as soon as I physically could after surgery.

Now, after surgery and meds, I may not be as fast as I once was, but I am still going!

Good to hear. I'm still waiting for the immediate post-surgical shake-out to see when I can get back to running. At the moment, when I try to jog short distances, I don't think my heart rate goes high enough to keep up with demand. (I'm paced, with max set at 130.) Once things heal a bit more, I can ask the EP to increase my pacer range, I guess. Hope we don't have a fight about it, though.

I had a sloppy run today.
Now, after surgery and meds, I may not be as fast as I once was, but I am still going!

I love your attitude and you are not alone here. We all have the bad days and we even have really good ones. I for one will never be where I was before my AVR but I'm still out there doing and it will take more than another AVR to get me to stop.

I had been running despite some serious issues with heart, including a March 09 shock from an ICD that was installed years earlier. I got that cool watch for Christmas 2009. I kept running and logged some miles. I went down again March 2010 while running and the ICD fired again. Then I had another espisode a few weeks later. Not sure how many miles I had by logged by then, but I scaled back with the running after the ICD went off again. Each time the ICD fired I was in VF. I passed out each time, but thats no picnic, I'll tell you that.

They started me on some new meds that made a huge difference, I had a new work-up which indicated I was a prime candidate for MV repair surgery. After a large number of visits to cardiac rehab post op the EKG showed I was very stable, so I felt comfortable to run some more. My HR is probably more stable than its been in years. Very very guarded optimism, but I somehow think I will run another 500 miles with this watch, at the very least.

Latest posts

Back